For Des

More threads by BenzBoy

Des

Dear BenzBoy

you know, out of all of these cars I would pick the Benz Patent Motor Car,
would be smashing, getting out all the period clothes, out for a drive on a chilly Tasmanian morning.

Des

That is the choice of a true motorist.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

What Mercedes should do is team up with some sort of "other" company to make these as replicas, in kit form,

make them affordable, that you buy the pieces each week, then build it yourself, piece by piece, step by step.

$100 a week for your subscription, do it over 2 years,

would be far more interesting than things you get at the newsagent each week.

OzBenzHead

Master
I read somewhere that those replica Benz Patent Motor Cars are the product of the (Stuttgart) Classic Center's apprentice training program. All Classic Center apprentices are required to build one, to original spec with original materials, and to a satisfactory "pass" level before they are set loose on customers' restoration jobs. The BPMCs are then sold to dealerships worldwide to use as promotional props.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What Mercedes should do is team up with some sort of "other" company to make these as replicas, in kit form,
make them affordable, that you buy the pieces each week, then build it yourself, piece by piece, step by step.
$100 a week for your subscription, do it over 2 years,
would be far more interesting than things you get at the newsagent each week.

What A GREAT idea !!!

G

GreaseMonkey

I would be up for one of those!
Ford Motor Co celebrated it's centenary in 2003 and had ten (I think) brand new Model Ts built to celebrate.
Because the T has had a worldwide following as a restorable and useable veteran since the fifties, it has generated a support industry making replacement parts as and when Ford stopped supplying.
So how weird is it that Ford built these new Ts using parts sourced from all over, and all fitted, and the cars drove as they should.
I think they went around the world to various dealer displays and international Ford plants.
I am sure M-B could do this if they wanted.
Chris M.