Attention Des

More threads by abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mercedes-Benz-170D_W0QQitemZ320282290729QQihZ011QQcategoryZ130628QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/URL]

Des

ah yes, spotted that one yesterday

it really is so me

but pickup only

no transport company will move a car that cannot be driven under its own steam.

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
It's not far from me and I have somewhere undercover and secure you could store if untill you can arrange suitable transport ;)
As simple as waiting for a tilt tray back load to Melbourne then a car trailer on the ferry

Des

thank you for the kind offer,

at the moment till I sell my CE, not a good time to buy another car.

already in trouble for bringing home another car last week

Kind Regards
Des

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Any time Des

So the 116 is staying? or a 6.3 is on the way???

Des

Any time Des

So the 116 is staying? or a 6.3 is on the way???

Don't really know, as silly as that sounds,

CE needs a lot doing to it to be in the condition I would be happy in, then again not a car I want to keep forever, so need to decide what I am going to do there.

W116, well its a cheap banger, not sure, seems to drive well, could go racing with it and break my neck,

I would like a 6.3, get back behind the wheel of a BlitzenBenz, but then I don't want all them sleepless nights, listening for my suspension sinking down slowly in the shed,

As weird as it sounds, I want a 170, really do, but then I think it would also be a big disapointment, like when you are a kid and you watch a movie, and you think it is really great, then you watch it when you are older and you realise how rubbish it is.

I think owning an old Benz might be the same

:confused: :confused:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Don't loose the faith Des!!! Just don't loose it.
A 170 would not be your everyday car, would it? If not, then does it matter if it is a little like hard work? At least you would have the advantage of synchro on all forward gears? Ahhhh - a 170 would be a piece of cake to drive with flair and elan. I assume you are a member of the Tasmanian MB club? There is bound to be a member who would let you have a drive of one just so you can feel what it is like to be in command of machinery rather than have the senses dulled by power steering etc...
Go for it Des; go and find out what it is like to drive one. Mind you, I started looking at a Bentley MkVI and found them a handful even in the dry. I tried a Derby Bentley and found it lighter and more precise and the Phantom? Well biceps, deltoids and pecs start to appear the moment you swing the wheel through its first quarter turn and then it becomes fun. Real fun.
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
don't want all them sleepless nights, listening for my suspension sinking down slowly in the shed,

Believe it or not Des my 6.3 has never dropped on its suspension even after 6 weeks in the garage.

Des

Don't loose the faith Des!!! Just don't loose it.
A 170 would not be your everyday car, would it? If not, then does it matter if it is a little like hard work? At least you would have the advantage of synchro on all forward gears?

pre war all but on first, synchro on everything post war

You are of course correct BenzBoy, would be a special car for just the weekends, country drives. etc..

Ahhhh - a 170 would be a piece of cake to drive with flair and elan. I assume you are a member of the Tasmanian MB club? There is bound to be a member who would let you have a drive of one just so you can feel what it is like to be in command of machinery rather than have the senses dulled by power steering etc...

That is a very good point actually about taking one for a drive, something I need to do yes. There is an MB club here but it is a part of the VIC club, nothing really happens here sadly. When my situation here improves I must make a trip to the mainland and go for a test drive.

Des

While we are on the subject of Des, have a look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ROLLS-ROYCE-...yZ101895QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7fa3_12.JPG

8dec_12.JPG

The Silver Cloud series probably being the best looking Rolls Royce models ever made.

Styria

The Godfather
Poor Des, Somebody outthere must know that Des must have a lot of money ! 'on ya, Desie Boy. Regards Styria and thanks for helping with Topklasse whilst I am away- to all others as well.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Dear Des,

Go where the heart takes you and where the wallet permits... :p

Lukas

Hmmm - had no idea they came that cheap - will be interesting to see where it ends. I wonder if you have to bring your own chainsaw to cut out the spare car.:)

While I was in at MBSpares the other day, they were putting together an order for another customer - lots of replacement rubber seals. No idea what car it was for, but they had a triangular seal for the old front 1/4 panel windows - no idea what model car it was for. Cost: $1,400 odd. Australian dollars. For 1 bit of rubber! That kind of thing scares me with the older cars.

Hate to say it, but if that was closer to me, I'd be half-interested.....

No, no more cars.

Des

Dear Lucas

As much as I would love to own that car (the one with wheels under it, not the one in the trees) I would cost a stack of cash to get back on the road.

Rust repairs, thousands?
paint? 10k maybe more?
interior? maybe 5-10k? maybe more?

Sure something you would work on over a number of years.

I am guessing the reserve will be about 3-5k for that car.

170's and 220's seem a fairly rare car in Australia, Pontons from the mid 1950's onwards really aren't a rare car, maybe in nice condition but if you wanted to buy one it wouldn't be that hard to fine one. Finding a 170 era car is a lot harder I would say.

Des

Dear Des,

Go where the heart takes you and where the wallet permits... :p

To be honnest Michel, I am thinking next car should be a Jaguar, I have looked at a few, I know you think a Jag should have a chevy driveline fitted, it is that slippery sleek bodywork that gets me.
I love Mercedes, could never turn my back on them but I have huge respect for British built cars, Jags, RR's, Bentley's.

The Bentley was no doubt a cut above any Mercedes I have driven, but would it be a cut above a 600?

I think that would be the real test, drive a 600 Grosser back to back with a Silver Cloud. For me the Cloud was the peak of RR styling, same with the 600.

Des

Drive a 600 back to back with a Phantom - not a Cloud. You need to compare apples with apples. I can see I need to educate you Des...:p
Regards,
BenzBoy

Dear BenzBoy,

Not sure about a Phantom, your Phantom II is the size of our house!

:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Drive a 600 back to back with a Phantom - not a Cloud. You need to compare apples with apples. I can see I need to educate you Des...:p
Regards,
BenzBoy

Are you trying to scare young Des ???

A Phantom is a daunting vehicle :eek:

Gorgeous (it has grown on me badly) but nevertheless daunting :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I drove an S3 convertible over the weekend.....

S3ConvertibleLarge.jpg

I love it......

The class, the presence, the looks... ohhhhhh