Befitting Sir Des

More threads by Michel

BenzBoy

Grand Master
2 doors? Makes sure the happy couple don't get the chance to change their minds...:eek:
Oh - but it is grey inside. I loathe and detest grey interiors; somewhat like the output from the North Heads treatment plant...
Regards,
Benz-Boy

hoddo

Connoisseur
Thats a nice looking coupe..but is it normal for a 300k car thats only done 131 thousand k's to need the sort of repairs that have been done on that car? Gearbox ..steering box and rack..sunroof..sump ect. I thought mercs would be a bit tougher than that.

Des

A truly nice looking car right in your neck of the woods Sir Des

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Autom...Number=TP003262908?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=

Very nice!

I like it, a lot

:)

Thats a nice looking coupe..but is it normal for a 300k car thats only done 131 thousand k's to need the sort of repairs that have been done on that car? Gearbox ..steering box and rack..sunroof..sump ect. I thought mercs would be a bit tougher than that.

Could well be an import in miles, although the speedometer is an AU unit

or the speedometer has been fiddled with

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Not normal. All it should have needed is the usual service items. The whole deal rings warning bells.
Anyway, it is hardly classy enough for Sir Desmond, Lord of Derwent and Surrounding Islands.:eek:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
I can understand that there are at times various doubts that could be levelled at a car such as this 500SEC. As JohnS says, it could well be a grey car and, as such, there will, or I should say could, be a stigma attached to it when it comes to re-selling time. Mind you though, is that stigma really justified when, in fact, it could be a bonus to have a 'smogged' 500 engine that will outrun just about any 560, as well as, wait for it, a 6.9.

The four speed box helps it, of course, but the engine would be a high compression unit, and it would not be strangled by exhaust emission controls. In addition, it'd be more economical fuel wise than a 560 or, for that matter, a 6.9.

Gleaming Beauty's heritage and upbringing are somewhat open to question and raised eyebrows - why, the poor thing lived in Kenya when new, plus she had originally been painted in Taxi White - surely a recipe for disaster for subsequent owners ? So again, a grey import and to be treated with caution. Well, luckily enough for me, it did not turn out badly for me. She's been exemplary from a reliability point of view. So we get back to this 126 Coupe - I reckon if it would pass a thorough and knowledgeable inspection, it could well be an excellent buy. 500s (on account of that stigma) normally don't sell for a lot of money - in this instance, if the car stacks up okay after the inspection, $A7K. maximum should give you a nice car that one could be very proud of.

The other aspect, of course, relates to the minor tune - what is a minor tune ? It could be anything, it could be negligible, it could be very costly, thus caution must prevail. Still, certainly worth looking at. Regards Styria