Dash board wiring

More threads by Testie

OP
T

Testie

OK now without speedo , oil and wiring the insrtument panel will not go in any further than it did before. Can't see any witness marks so the next step is to smear in grease and see what hits first. It appears to hit at the top on the "cardboard' . Please see photos and see if anyone can pick if something is wrong. I even took the radio out so I could pull the speedo and oil lines but it still won't fit with all of them out of the way.This is turning into a hammer job:mad:

Attachments

• Todays fustration 1 (1024x768).jpg
    Todays fustration 1 (1024x768).jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Todays fustration 2 (1024x768).jpg
    Todays fustration 2 (1024x768).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Todays fustration 3 (1024x768).jpg
    Todays fustration 3 (1024x768).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Todays fustration 4 (1024x768).jpg
    Todays fustration 4 (1024x768).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Todays fustration 5 (1024x768).jpg
    Todays fustration 5 (1024x768).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 3
OP
T

Testie

I give up!!!!!!!
Looks like that is how it is going to stay. I can't see how it can go back any further at the top.when ffered up to the dash it always looks like the top is 1/4" further out than the bottom and sides. I will have to find a wreck to see if Ican see the problem. Not pretty but run out of ideas and I would like to get back on the road
Col..

Styria

The Godfather
I hate to say it, Testie, but the photos are not really brilliant, are they ? Tell me, has the instrument cluster ever fitted properly, or only since you pulled it out to fix whatever ? The pin plug - you know the one that's been giving you grief. Also tell me, has the dash been replaced/re-skinned at some time ? What can happen is that the dash can get out of shape, and then the instrument panel can become an unsightly fit, such as appears evident in your case. Are you in Sydney - I take it that you are and, if so, you may wish to call around some time. I'm not Mr. Magic, but I have fair ideas. Regards Styria

OP
T

Testie

As far as I know the dash has never been reskined and the instrument panel used to fit before I pulled it out to replace bulbs etc.
Unfortunately I am in Armidale about 555 klms away. I will be in Sydney this weekend but the car won't.
Sorry about the phots must be the resizing that blurs them.
Col

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Logic says that if it fitted OK beofre you took it out then it will go back in. There has to be something that has gone wrong and you will eventually find it - of that, I am confident.
Regards,
Brian

OP
T

Testie

I wished I shared your confidence! Even with no connections it does't want to fit. It seems as if the bottom part of the "box" for a lack of a better discription, wants to point the instrument cluster upwards so the bottom goes in but the top will not. I smeared grease on the cardboard , again for the lack of a better description and it looks like the back of the center and r/h side instruments hit therefore not allowing the whole thing to go back.
I will be away for the rest of the week and down to Sydney for the weekend.
Have a great Australia Day and if you get to NRMA moterfest say hello to the gent from Armidale with the 1908 Brush, who is about to drive across Australia in it.

Oversize

Grand Master
Take a pic of the outside of the cluster assembly and I'll take a guess that the seal has become dislodged, or it isn't fitted in the correct position.

Try your camera on macro. Many people think their camera takes the pic as soon as the button is depressed, but there is usually a delay. If you move during this delay, the pic will be a blur. Always wait a second or two, especially if you're using a flash. Another tip is some cameras make a noise when the auto-focus is finished (usually a beep) and if you press the go button prior to this, it's likely the pic will be out of focus.

Links to pics on Photobucket end up with the best results here, rather than simply including them as an attachment (but it takes more time),

OP
T

Testie

I'll try again next week and try to get some decent photos posted. Not happy to leave it like it is so maybe a week off is what the dash and I need:D
Col

OP
T

Testie

OK a few photos hopefully clearer.I can pull the top of the instrument panel out with ease. I know that it used to fit correctly from old photos.Anybody got any idea as to what I am doing wong?:confused:

Attachments

• Easily pulled out.jpg
    Easily pulled out.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Top from right 2.jpg
    Top from right 2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Top from right.jpg
    Top from right.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Top of dash.jpg
    Top of dash.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Dash from left.jpg
    Dash from left.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Bottom left.jpg
    Bottom left.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 6

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Testie, I hate to be a nark - your photos show me very little, if anything at all. Would you consider Photobucket ? (As Mark has suggested ?) That way, we may have an even chance. For example............

GleamingBeautyRestoration187.jpg

Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
From Photobucket - transferred by Styria

CIMG3562.jpg

Topfromright2.jpg

Dashfromleft.jpg

CIMG3560.jpg

CIMG3560.jpg

Okay, let's have a look at some of these. Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Honestly Testie, this ain't real easy. As Benz Boy says, if it fitted okay before, it should fit again. Perhaps you could spray some silicone to the inside of the instrument cowling - the dash, that is. I just wish you were close by. Regards Styria

OP
T

Testie

Found a guy whos into older cars and was a Mercedes dealer. He has taken pity on me and will have a look on the weekend.There is definely something stopping the instrument panel from going all the way home, just haven't been able to figure out what that is! It must be the back of the speedo housing hitting the dash but there are no wittness marks probaly as the back of the gauges stick out equally.
At least I know how to use photo bucket.:D
Is there anywhere on the forum site for general photos?
Col.

Oversize

Grand Master
Testie have a look at the outside of the instrument housing itself (remove it from the dash). There should be a rubber seal around the outside and if it's moved from it's normal position, the housing will jamb and not sit correctly.

OP
T

Testie

I had a look at two wrecked, or about to be wrecked 350 SELs today and the instument panel fitted how I thought it should. We pulled it out and pushed it back in with slight resistance and the other , which had a cracked dash just slipped in but it had no gasket and even then the top edge stayed out as mine does. Llooks like the dashboard has changed shape while the instruments were out (2 weeks) so if the sun shines again I'll get it hot, maybe a gentle heat with heat gun? Yes/No??
Col

OP
T

Testie

By the way hit a roo in my work sprinter and the pretensioners went off. (Nice bruise to prove it) Now I am not allowed to drive it until replaced.Weeks will turn into months I thought the belts still worked as enertia reel belts but not according to Merc!

OP
T

Testie

OK I think I ave tried everythin! the instrument cluster still doesn't sit in the dash properly. It will go in without the gasket but stubornely refuses to go in with the gasket in place. For some reason you can not tilt the panel downwards therefore there must be something in the way?? It is just too hard to be just the gasket. Another toght, the bigger ridge on the gasket does go to the steering wheel side doesn't it?? There is a gap between the instrument face and the body but I can't see that being enought to be a problem.
Col