Concours Prep

More threads by E200K

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have a little more info. of the paint finish we use for black cars. It is called Ebony Swirl Remover for black cars. It is made in Italy. Our supplier for this stuff is AotoKlene Pty. Ltd., ph No. 03 8761 1900. I must stress this for black/dark cars ONLY. the manufacturer makes an equivalent product for white/light coloured cars also. Instead of using zirconium dioxide as the pigment, titanium dioxide is used instead. As both of these metal oxides are commonly used as pigments in all sorts of paint, you may well imagine that the appropriate treatment MUST be used to it's corresponding paint colour/hue. As amatter of academic interest, the mineral sand 'rutile' is mined for titanium for jet/rocket engines. It is the zirconium oxide in rutile which always occurs naturally with titanium dioxide which makes this mineral black. Most of you may know that the old time sand shoe whitener contains titanium dioxide, which is white. I will try to obtain a product brochure from our supplier when I see him next, and provide some more info. from that.

Modern black Mercedes cars have a relatively thin paint coat, with a relatively thick clear topcoat, which is harder than clear topcoats found on most other cars. This makes the cars harder to buff, but they retain a deeper shine for a longer time.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Maybe Woolworths and Coles can take over distributorship, and perhaps even manufacturing rights, and then start a price war ! Let's cut out the middle men. ;) Regards Styria BTW - where do these products come from ? Yankeeland, the 'OLd Dart', Switzerland ?...and yes, SEL69L, I'd also be interested in finding out more about the product you're talking about.
Swissvax is from Switzerland.
www.swissvax.com
Zymol is from North America
www.zymol.com
Coles? Woolworths? Styria, are you on Mars at the moment? :D:D:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited:
B

BAR

Well all this talk and manual effort makes me exhausted!

For my money, well I'm so impressed that now after 40+ years of car ownership, washing, waxing and polishing regularly, with the Mother's car polishing system that I found in the local care car place. I bought mine as a kit for under $300.

I bought their Wax Attack Polisher. It's an electric machine that has removable (and washable) sponge applicators. Their Califonia Gold product range is the best I've ever used. For older paint finishes I'd start using the clay bar, then Pre-Wax Cleaner, then Sealer and Glaze, then the final Carnuba Wax.

The clay bar preparation part is the most time consuming and labour intensive, but the final result is well worth the effort.

Moving onfrom there, one simply glides the polisher over the surface covering the whole car or simply one panel at a time. When it's fully coated, then grab a microfibre cloth and gently wipe clean (no rubbing required).

The results are terrific and for my 450SE it took less than 4 hours for all 4 phases, including the final wipe over of all rubber tyres, seals and trims with their respective treatments.

The painted surface is smoother than glass!

OP
E200K

E200K

This should have Styria shaking his head in disbelief. In final preparation for the MBCNSW concours, I'm about to break out the Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Wel I hope everyone one has a great Sunday... 30C predicted

The RR Club entrants and the M-B Club entrants as well.

I'll be busy judging the HUGE modified classes at the MB Club Concours D'elegance, with the help of the Godfather!

At least, all I have to do is wash my 690SEL and vacuum it.

In essence make sure it looks good...:D

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Wel I hope everyone one has a great Sunday... 30C predicted

The RR Club entrants and the M-B Club entrants as well.

I'll be busy judging the HUGE modified classes at the MB Club Concours D'elegance, with the help of the Godfather!

At least, all I have to do is wash my 690SEL and vacuum it.

In essence make sure it looks good...:D
Why thank you, Michel. I'm sure you and Mr P will make a pretty sight as you wander and wonder about the intricacies of Vince's chromed spark plug leads. :eek:
30 degrees. Lucky I have a new pith helmet. :D Time to retire that old MB cap given where I'll be on Sunday. :eek:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Martin280s

I will detail the engine bay (hardly needs it) with a couple of bottle of Coca Cola and Swissvax Motor Shine.

What does Coca-Cola do to the engine? I am I missing something here???????

OzBenzHead

Master
What does Coca-Cola do to the engine? I am I missing something here???????
Its active ingredient is phosphoric acid -- an excellent cleaner of metals, particularly aluminium alloys. Drop some grotty old coins (copper/bronze works best) into a glass of cola overnight and see what happens to them.

Lukas

Its active ingredient is phosphoric acid -- an excellent cleaner of metals, particularly aluminium alloys. Drop some grotty old coins (copper/bronze works best) into a glass of cola overnight and see what happens to them.

And then extrapolate to what it must do to your insides.:)

OzBenzHead

Master
Others' insides, perhaps, but not mine. Wouldn't drink that crap if I were dying of thirst. And the phosphoric acid isn't the worst of it (after all, you'll find phosphoric acid in thousands of manufactured food and drink products). The colourings (especially caramel) are known carcinogens; the caffeine ... well, we all know what that does; the bulk sugar -- or worse, the sugar substitutes that are highly suspect of being carcinogenic.

Cola is also good for removing stains in laundry; soak stain for a few hours, or overnight if a serious one, then just wash as usual.

Throw a few litres on the path and leave to work for a little while before hosing off and you'll have nice, white concrete.

The stuff should be sold as a household cleaner, not a drink. :eek:

TJ 450

OBH, that post is the unquestionable truth. :cool:

A household cleaning product... LOL. It's good for cleaning toilets as well... particularly when the water is mineral laden such as here in Perth and you end up with iron oxide stains.

Tim

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
With all the hard work and preps the old boy has endured over the last few weeks I need to, and want to, express my best wishes to him in his quest for honours at the Rolls Royce concours d'Elegance. Good luck tomorrow BenzBoy. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
With all the hard work and preps the old boy has endured over the last few weeks I need to, and want to, express my best wishes to him in his quest for honours at the Rolls Royce concours d'Elegance. Good luck tomorrow BenzBoy. Regards Styria

Thank you Sir. It looks like being the most hotly contested Concours for many years with some very serious entries, especially in the SMART class. (Silver Spirit/Spur, Mulsanne and Related Types) I prepare my own car but of course there are many who do it in the cheque book fashion and will simply have their vehicles delivered ready to be judged. Part of the pleasure for me is doing the preparation. The only thing I don't do personally is the under body wash. Having had it done commercially I will then crawl underneath with a detailing cloth and finish it off....:eek:
Rergards,
Benz-Boy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thank you Sir. It looks like being the most hotly contested Concours for many years with some very serious entries, especially in the SMART class. (Silver Spirit/Spur, Mulsanne and Related Types) I prepare my own car but of course there are many who do it in the cheque book fashion and will simply have their vehicles delivered ready to be judged. Part of the pleasure for me is doing the preparation. The only thing I don't do personally is the under body wash. Having had it done commercially I will then crawl underneath with a detailing cloth and finish it off....:eek:
Rergards,
Benz-Boy

Sorry for not being there to support you BenzBoy
My Spur is alone in the warehouse, albeit in the company of many other vehicles that will not be driven tomorrow.
As we say in on the Continent "break a leg"

Bonne chance

OP
E200K

E200K

Yes, good luck to all that are entering a concours tomorrow whether it be baseball-capped Mercedes affair, or a pith-helmeted Rolls Royce soiree.

When I looked at my W126 this morning all I could see were bits that still need attention and I actually had the feeling of pure panic. As I now seem to have developed complete tunnel vision I think it's probably a good time to stop work.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yes, good luck to all that are entering a concours tomorrow whether it be baseball-capped Mercedes affair, or a pith-helmeted Rolls Royce soiree.

When I looked at my W126 this morning all I could see were bits that still need attention and I actually had the feeling of pure panic. As I now seem to have developed complete tunnel vision I think it's probably a good time to stop work.
Well actually, I am wearing a Panama with a feather to the side.....:p
Pure panic? Oh boy - never a truer word was spoken. I could do with another day to prepare and just as IZ was putting the finishg touches one of the under-bonnet decals fell to pieces...irreplaceable within the next 12 hours..:mad:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Martin280s

If I drink one can of Cola a year, I have drunk a lot! I'm not a fan of soft drinks in general.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Well the RROCA Concours is over for the year and now we wait until November for the results!! It was possibly the best attended Concours ever with quality competition in every class and some truly stunning cars. Balmoral beach was a superb location and Rolls-Royce Aust. kindly sent a Phantom Dophead for display and Bentley sent a GTC Coupe. Photos at a later point.
Regards,
Benz-Boy