Palto concours

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Straight from the pages of Mercedes Benz Heritage in the States - some delightful Mercedes Benz exhibits. That 2-door Ponton Coupe - delectable. I could have bought one a few years ago (say 15) for $25K. - that was on the day when Rene Rivkin's 600 sold for $40K. A steal at that price, and it reflected Rivkin's drop in fortune at that time.

At that auction, there was also a 1962 Lagonda Rapide - the second one I had ever seen in real life - it also went for $25K. Ahhh, if one only had the money ! Rivkin's car owed him about 130-140 and it was a steal at the price it sold for. I suspect it's somewhere over in China now. Regards Styria

http://www.mercedesheritage.com/2010/palo-alto-concours-2010/

N.B. It must have been "stolen" at that price - that's the third time I have said that now. Well, it must have been.......

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Very fine examples of the marques.
China? Why China? Evidence?
Regards,
Brian

Hi BenzBoy, that was the rumour at the time of the auction. However, do you perhaps know otherwise ? It certainly was in splendid condition. It had been owned by a Club member in Newcastle, and the car was outright winner on at least two occasions. Rivkin bought it for $90K. and supposedly spent another forty thousand on it.

I am trying to remember the Newcastle owner's name - he had also owned at various times several 6.9s, and it was he that tested, with supervision from the men in Blue, one of his 6.9s at 262 kilometers an hour. Regards Styria