What is your prep for Oran Park??

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

Just curious as to what prep everyone will be doing on their car's for the upcoming track day??

Servicing? (plugs, leads, filters, electrics, transmission etc)
Brakes? (pads, fluids, rotors etc)
Tyres (new set, or swap for old set, possibly swap for some r-spec?)
Tuning (advance the timing maybe? Or just general tune)

Being that the day will take it's toll on your car, I reckon you'd want to do at least a few of the following things:

• Ensure you have enough brake pad(s) to last the day (ideally significantly more than 50%)
  • Oil Filter / Oil Change (obvious reasons)
  • Good Oil Pressure
  • Sufficient Cooling (check coolant levels, and also ensure aux fan is working)
  • No moving objects within car (eg. remove all free floating objects throughout cabin - including glovebox)
  • Transmission service (if you will be driving an auto as a manual..eg. manual shifting and holding gears)

Me personally, i'll be:

• Changing Sparkplugs
  • Oil Filter / Change
  • Fuel Filter
  • Air Filter Clean / Oil (K&N of course)
  • Upgrade Rotors - Front & Rear (Slotted front, solid rear)
  • Flood Brake lines completely and fill with new Dot 4 (possibly change out master cylinder and reservoir with good 2nd hand one from spares)
  • Tune up / Timing (fill with some good premium fuel and octane boost and advance timing appropriately)
  • Weld up diff (Cause chewing out rear tyres is sh!tting me to bits!)
  • Swap out 2 rear yokohama a032r's for a better set of 2nd hand yoko's from spares.

So, who's doing what??

Styria

The Godfather
Hi SELfor50, I am buggered already just checking and following your list - I can see that a fair bit is required to set up the cars, and to make them reliable for the day. BTW, either you, or somebody, will have to tell me how you lock up a diff.

Also, further to recent phone call, need PM from you regarding the disc rotors. I take it, it is Mainfreight at Prestons near Liverpool, but any further instructions - please let me know. Regards Styria

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Not really that much work mate. All the usual service stuff is a couple hours.. spark plugs, oil filter, oil, fuel filter etc.. And just recommend checking the brakes. (for everyone who has standard brakes).

For the diff, i'm not entirely sure how it's going to be done, but it's in the capable hands of Mr Green @ MB Spares. So i'm sure he'll do a tip top job. :)
(On a side note, apparently someone has 'handed in' a 350SLC LSD, 3.46:1 ratio. I will be organising a re-build and 'firming' up on that for next years club events / season)

I'll flick you an e-mail first thing in the Morning Styria regarding the further instructions for mainfreight. (yep it's the one in prestons) Cheers mate.

Cam. :)

B13

People should charge their digital camera batteries.

I had an event at Sandown today, only to find my camera was flat... I carry a Nikon film SLR has a backup and it was reluctantly pressed back into service.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Great call, forgot the cameras!!

EVERYONE Bring cameras please. The more footage the better. :)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Wash 690SEL and make sure you bring sunglasses...:p

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

So....... is no-body doing any mechanical work in preperation?? Or just dust the car off and start putting it through it's paces? :confused:

G

GreaseMonkey

Track day mate, not competition.
If the car is all good and safe, (I know how to service all my cars), then a bit of high speed, and a few snags on the bbq should not mean it will be any different on Monday.
Each to his own,
Chris M.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

If the car is all good and safe, (I know how to service all my cars), then a bit of high speed, and a few snags on the bbq should not mean it will be any different on Monday.
Each to his own,
Chris M.

Sorry brother Chris, never mentioned anything bout competition. ;)

Just trying to offer some support and advice from what i've experienced. And regardless of how hard you're pushing your car, your brakes will be getting up to temperatures that they will never have done before. I'm sure you know this from your years being a spectator for formula 1 teams.

I'm pretty confident that engine temps will be fine with all the european cars. My concern (for everyone) is brakes. The first time I pushed my car even a little bit in a supersprint, I thought my engine had blown up because of the amount of smoke pouring out the sides. Ask the lad's who recently took their mercs for laps down in adelaide??!!

The crux of it is, even down the straights these ol' girls will be getting up to speeds that 'legally' they aren't allowed to do normally. 140 - through to maybe even - 200+km/h Braking a 2000+kg car from that speed will create a large amount of friction, from which heat is a by-product. Brake pads wear quicker, fluid gets hot, and pedal feel decrases a whole f*kn bunch....and all this after probably 1-3 laps of continuous driving.

But you're probably right, you won't notice any difference at all on the Monday following. :)

oscar

Oh I beg to differ. Prepare to see POVO and cam's "The Machine" lock wheel nuts. I'm installing fender shredders to my hubs right now. We're gonna beat up these cars like they owe us money. :D

Everyone's going to push their cars at some point during the day, it just makes sense to be prepared.

I wish fueling up was my only concern but not the case - povo's a "special" case that needs things regardless of what he does the next time he rolls out the driveway.

Things I'm doing now are,
- still working on the Solex
- changing steering box
- three rad hoses
- all fluids being changed
- remove extra seats
- extra brake pads
- alignment again, wheels/tyres taken care of
- new oil pan
- hub mounted fender shredders:D

Still have to make a list of other essentials. The mechanical side is bogginig my prep down

B13

Common sense indicate those intending to push the cars hard will probably pay much attention to making the car as mechanically strong as possible whereas those who are attending to drive sedately at a little over the highway speed limits may not need to be so diligent.

Thats the common sense approach...

But track day or competition day, put a bunch of cars on a track with no speed limits, and guys and girls in helmets, there's bound to be a few individuals testing the limits of their cars and abilities. Expect the average lap time to increase as a result of this during the day.

I.

B

BAR

Not that I plan to be there, but were I to go and be serious about a lap time and survival: mostly mechanical.

Check Steering and Wheel Alignment
Check wheel alignment and tyre condition
Check Braking System - master cylinder, slave cylinders, hoses and pads
Check ignition system - ECU, Distributor, Plug Leads and Plugs
Check cooling system - ensure lotsa coolant fluid is in there and no leaks
Check all oil levels
Check shock absorbers
Check exhaust system
Brain Bucket
Fire Extinguisher

ensure all above are 100% or else have them rectified.

Optional:
Remove all excess weight [except driver] - so rip out passenger seats, carpets, spare tyre, tool kit
Upsize wheel diameter to allow for improved cooling to brakes
Fuel addative to boost octane level

Very necessary:
Refreshments - Champagne, chicken, pate etc [to taste]
Picnic Table and chairs
Huge umbrella or shade cloth to errect temporary cover
Cold water - works well as a driver reviver

G

GreaseMonkey

Sorry brother Chris, never mentioned anything bout competition. ;)

Just trying to offer some support and advice from what i've experienced. And regardless of how hard you're pushing your car, your brakes will be getting up to temperatures that they will never have done before. I'm sure you know this from your years being a spectator for formula 1 teams.

I'm pretty confident that engine temps will be fine with all the european cars. My concern (for everyone) is brakes. The first time I pushed my car even a little bit in a supersprint, I thought my engine had blown up because of the amount of smoke pouring out the sides. Ask the lad's who recently took their mercs for laps down in adelaide??!!

The crux of it is, even down the straights these ol' girls will be getting up to speeds that 'legally' they aren't allowed to do normally. 140 - through to maybe even - 200+km/h Braking a 2000+kg car from that speed will create a large amount of friction, from which heat is a by-product. Brake pads wear quicker, fluid gets hot, and pedal feel decrases a whole f*kn bunch....and all this after probably 1-3 laps of continuous driving.

But you're probably right, you won't notice any difference at all on the Monday following. :)

No, you're right.
What I meant was that I would never drive with anything less than a car I had absolute faith in, and for a trackday fun run in a road car, if it is not good enough for the road - ie good brakes, tyres, shocks, alignment etc - it is obviously not good enough for track use.
There should be no difference, unless you are implying it is ok to drive on the road with less than 100% brakes?
I also took it for granted, that anyone wanting to push a road car a bit harder than it would normally go would not be going more than three laps at a time, and give it a rest in between.
It's true, flat out, your road car will suffer, overheated brakes and consequent brake fluid problems, shredded tyres, boiling coolant and auto-box oil, so do a few laps, then let it cool.
If there is anyone attending who disagrees with the above, please identify yourself, so I can be sure to not be on the track the same time as you.
Apart from more than twenty years in racing teams, from Formula Ford to F1 and all in between, the last three years of which was in R&D at Jaguar Racing mainly testing brake and suspension systems, I also helped some locals prepare all kinds of cars for club track days at Silverstone and have done laps in a wide variety of cars.
Prior to that, I worked for Midas in London trainimg their staff in all aspects of brake servicing.
I am not adding this for any one-up-man-ship, more just to say I do know, and have been there.
Anyway SELfor50, as yours is built as a race car, and can probably push harder, have fun and rack up the laps.
You seem to have a well worked out plan as if it was a race weekend which would make sense.
For all others using road cars, I hope the car is all ok, and take it easy.
C.M.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Styria.. The rotors have arrived!! Thankyou very very much! I'll post some pics after installation and of all other work getting completed tomorrow.

Cam.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

• Changing Sparkplugs
  • Oil Filter / Change
  • Fuel Filter
  • Air Filter Clean / Oil (K&N of course)
  • Upgrade Rotors - Front & Rear (Slotted front, solid rear)
  • Flood Brake lines completely and fill with new Dot 4 (possibly change out master cylinder and reservoir with good 2nd hand one from spares)
  • Tune up / Timing (fill with some good premium fuel and octane boost and advance timing appropriately)
  • Weld up diff (Cause chewing out rear tyres is sh!tting me to bits!)
  • Swap out 2 rear yokohama a032r's for a better set of 2nd hand yoko's from spares.

Ok.. so above in green is what i got done today..
Didn't swapout the master cylinder, didn't need it.

In addition, i also:

Removed LHS Mirror
Organised Camera Mount to be installed mid-week

Some pics of the day:

Old front rotors
Brakespre-oranpark001.jpg

Old Rear Rotors
Brakespre-oranpark002.jpg

Front Suspension (just cause)
Brakespre-oranpark003.jpg

Rotor Guard behind rotors
Brakespre-oranpark004.jpg

Rotor Guard removed for better ventilation
Brakespre-oranpark005.jpg

New Fronts Installed
Brakespre-oranpark006.jpg

New Rears:
Brakespre-oranpark007.jpg
Brakespre-oranpark008.jpg

Nick "Spanner" Powell (I was going to use Grease Monkey, but that's already taken... :p )
Brakespre-oranpark009.jpg

The rest of the list will be completed on Weds by MB-spares

oscar

That looks awsome Cam.:cool:
Drilled and slotted! Nothing's going to stop you - I mean, you know what I mean :p I sense a povo thrashing coming on.

When I get a chance, my last minute prep is going to involve mopping out povo. He's flooded after the rainfall over the weekend. Mechanicals are as good as they're going to get, it's the list of things to bring I have to work on. Still includes buying a helmet.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What preparations....:rolleyes:

I didn't even get a chance to wash the 690SEL.

Barely had the time to open the garage door, move the Queen of Sheba out of the way and drive straight to the petrol station.
A refill and a tyre pump up to 42psi and voila...;)

The best Sunday in a loooooong time:D

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Tell me bout it... After all that prep work I didn't account for kitty litter and fan belts. :( All good though. The brakes were solid all day!!

I have to say all in all, even though it looked like ol' silver suffered on Sunday.. Just a fan belt and a bit of temperature in the end.