2010 MBCNSW Concours

More threads by E200K

E200K

The 2010 MBCNSW Concours is getting closer. Anyone entering? Any early preparation happening?

260ebenz

Master
I enjoyed last years Concours I will be going along to this years Concours.

I will be entering my 260E in the Everyday driver category for Judging.

What about you Simon and anyone else here from Top Klasse?

Cheers.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Yours Truly is (again) the Modified Section Judge :p

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I enjoyed last years Concours I will be going along to this years Concours.

I will be entering my 260E in the Everyday driver category for Judging.

What about you Simon and anyone else here from Top Klasse?

Cheers.
I will go for a look but I am not entering anything.
Don't forget, Tim - clean underneath you car as thoroughly as possible. As well as the inside rim of each wheel, you need to do inside the wheel arches and underneath the engine and the entire underside of the car.
You will need to remove each wheel and clean it thoroughly so there is no caked on brake dust there and use a tyre cleaner on both sides of the tyre. You may find a truckwash in your area that will put your car up on a hoist and de-grease and pressure wash the underneath body.
Good luck!!
Don't forget to clean the door seals and revieve them with one of your favourite Meguirs products (or other brand) and make sure behind your bumper bars is clean - oh, and the engine bay!!
Good luck!!
Regards,
Benz-Boy

260ebenz

Master
BenzBoy,

That sounds like alot of work! I will give it a go though.

I thought my 260E looked very clean and presentable at last years Concours maybe I was wrong?

I appreciate your advice.

I won't be putting water anywhere near the engine have been adviced NOT to put water anywhere near the engine water and a Mercedes engine are not the best of friends.

Cheers.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Tim I can't comment on your Benz as I was not at last year's Concours. It was on the same day as the Rolls-Royce Club Concours and I had to attend that one.
Yes - it is an AWFUL lot of work and well worth it.
I have no problem de-greasing an engine and spraying it with water - but I do cover the alternator with plastic and dry everything with compressed air beofre I start the motor. Maybe you have a professional detailer nearby who could do that safely for you?
You might have seen my Spirit in the June Unique Cars - I regularly hose down the engine bay without any concerns.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
If you are going to use a degreaser, and it happens to be alkali based, such as Alkasteam, do not use this stuff anywhere near unprotected alloy finishes; it will permanently ruin the finish. Use a solvent based degreaser, if you must, provided it does not affect very old rubber seals or bushings.

I use a 3000 psi water blaster in wheel arches and underneath my car, occasionally with a degreaser, but I have never used a water blaster in the engine bay from the top. 3000 psi is the sort of savagery that is capable uf upsetting old water seals that are supposed to protect the electrics. Better to use a mild degreaser and well directed gentle hosing.

It is very common for me when detailing new cars to use a degreaser and a water blaster on to the top of an engine, but strictly in new cars only.

260ebenz

Master
Simon,

Are you doing any preparation for your Mercedes for the Concours this year?

Mind you knowing both of your Mercedes they would allready be perfect and ready for the Concours would I be right?

Cheers.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
If you are going to use a degreaser, and it happens to be alkali based, such as Alkasteam, do not use this stuff anywhere near unprotected alloy finishes; it will permanently ruin the finish. Use a solvent based degreaser, if you must, provided it does not affect very old rubber seals or bushings.

I use a 3000 psi water blaster in wheel arches and underneath my car, occasionally with a degreaser, but I have never used a water blaster in the engine bay from the top. 3000 psi is the sort of savagery that is capable uf upsetting old water seals that are supposed to protect the electrics. Better to use a mild degreaser and well directed gentle hosing.

It is very common for me when detailing new cars to use a degreaser and a water blaster on to the top of an engine, but strictly in new cars only.
Quite correct about using degreaser -I use either a neutral Ph degreaser or my favourite; kerosine. 3000psi is the output of a commercial cleaner. Most domestic ones are 1000 - 1500 psi and safer for engines. I use a semi-commercial one and throttle it back to around 900 psi for the engine bay. But since my engines bays are all clean anyway, it is very rarely needed. A sponge and bucket is usually enough unless one has oil leaks; which I do not have. Maybe when I have a Jaguar...?:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
You are right about 3000 psi being the pressure for commercial water blasters, but then again, that is what I normally do, that is, detail brand new cars for customer delivery. We have a reputation that is envied by most other new car dealers in terms presentation to the customer.

zixtus

We are not in Sydney and not too sure about the MB concours shows...can anybody rock up and have a look??...and if so when and where

BenzBoy

Grand Master
We are not in Sydney and not too sure about the MB concours shows...can anybody rock up and have a look??...and if so when and where
Yes, you would be most welcome.:D
Details can be found at: http://www.mbcnsw.org.au/events.php
You do not need to be a member to attend and look - and there is no charge. You need to be a member to enter and there is a cost for each car entered.
Regards,
Benz-Boy