Commodore killed off by Holden

More threads by motec 6.9

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Holden is going to an all SUV range, they have also dropped the astra.
I think that is shortsighted. SUVs are all the rage now, but like other fashion trends their time will pass. As Gen-xers saw the station wagon as the uncool car of their parents generation millennials will probably see the SUV as the uncool car of their parents generation.

Oversize

Grand Master
The badge was completely wrong from the start! The Commodore name should’ve been retired when THEY shut down local manufacturing (because THEY didn’t read their market correctly). And if Holden did any research they would’ve realised ZB was a 1968 FORD FAIRLANE! Did they try to make a statement by jumping from the first VB to the last ZB?

They went to great lengths over many years to make the Commodore our own then completely back flipped to slap the badge on an imported ho hum of a car! Did they seriously think that would wash with the bogans???

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
A little birdie tells me the Holden name, as we know it, will be changed to Chevrolet in the not-too-distant future and will be lost forever.

Oversize

Grand Master
Very sad but it makes some sense. Although I’d prefer them to use GM so they could choose from more models... I’d love to see Buick sold here again!

c107

and 111/116/124/126
A little birdie tells me the Holden name, as we know it, will be changed to Chevrolet in the not-too-distant future and will be lost forever.

They might as well. Sales have tanked in the last couple of years selling unappealing chevvies. Might as well just come clean about it.

I think the only one that sells in any real numbers is the Colorado pickup. Hilux still eats it’s lunch.

Sad way for Holden to go out with such a whimper.

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I have only ever owned two Holden badged products - one was a 2000 Holden Statesman, which was a beautifully styled and assembled car with top quality components. It had a couple of little maintenance issues, but its interior was exemplary.

The other is my Korean made Captiva, now showing 194K.s on the clock - 112 when I bought it. It has given absolutely no trouble, the engine is super quiet and uses absolutely no oil. I am sorry to see the Holden name going.

I also think that, perhaps, a Holden Cascada might make a desirable conveyance, but it also attracts its share of criticism and potential shortcomings. I just can't work it out. I know that SUVs are the flavour of the years, and their prices are certainly reflecting this. The Koreans are certainly no longer cheap cars. Let's face it. We want versatility and decent engineering, and the SUV provides all of that. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Styria,
The Cascada is a terrific car, very well built, and as far as I can see, no real issues at all.
Great looking convertible as well.

2380-FD84-706-A-4-B89-9-BE9-50-BCB53-D8468.jpg

5-CA5440-C-B96-B-4124-876-F-B8-D415-F8-E6-D3.jpg