canary in the boot

More threads by hoddo

hoddo

Connoisseur
Well thats what it sounds like... seems to be a squeek comming from the left rear wheel. Slight pressure on the brakes makes it stop. Mechanic seems to think its a large bearing that has slight wear and is letting disk caliper move a little. R&R aprox 8 hr... Ouch this is gonna hurt. Anyone know this bearing? I am guessing the one in the semi-trailing arm. I think mechanic said 6 inch bearing, will find out more next week but trying to get a headstart on buying new one at right price.

Tony66_au

Hoddo if its anything like the massive twin row bearing I recently replaced on my W124 wagon it'll be low $200's.

I sourced mine (FAG Brand) from MB Spares in Canberra and prices elsewhere ran to as much as $700 from other sources. (I always shop around)

I know everyone has their favourite supplier but I can honestly say that John Green and the boys have always been the cheapest for OEM parts and the fastest to deliver.

Failing that Autohaus Arizona are worth a check on the web.

Styria

The Godfather
That, boys, is a good subject to discuss. It is, isn't it ? Well no, because it is an expensive and awkward exercise. Hoddo, hopefully it is not the bearing, but obviously the wheel has been off and most of the other components your mechanic would have been able to check. If it is the large bearing, it is in fact the rear hub bearing, and it is large and it is expensive to buy new. There is an after market bearing available, albeit it is slightly narrower than original, but that wouldn't stop you from using it.

I checked bearing prices probably four, five, six years ago, and genuine was 'gang buster' in those days - maybe about $250.00. God only knows what it would be nowadays. Eight hours work seems a pretty fair time estimate, and if you're paying a hundred buckeroos per hour, the bill will be substantial. I well remember a seven hundred dollar bill for a day's work, but the mechanic is good - if we're talking the same guy.

You will also need to budget for associated components if you are replacing that large bearing - in other words, do it all at the same time, and you won't have to look at again for many years to come. I would also be very interested if the guy has the special tool that would be NICE to have to undo the large slotted nut. That can be a bugger to undo - in fact, the more I think about it, eight hours is a good time. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Hoddo, any further new on your post ? I'd be very interested as to the outcome. Regards Styria

OP
hoddo

hoddo

Connoisseur
Looks like I may have dodged a bullet for the moment. The bearing in question is called the caliper support bearing and it is not associated with the hub or axle ..it just holds the caliper and alows it to move a little or so I was informed. The bearing has a little wear and was the suspect but after removig caliper and pads, clean up and reassemble the squeek seems to be gone. Fingers crossed

OP
hoddo

hoddo

Connoisseur
Well the noise returned and on the last trip the rear passenger side wheel was a bit warm to the touch, so it was time to bite the bullet and burn some $$ to get it sorted out. Turned out not to be the caliper carrier bearing at all but the brake pistons (kind of surprised it wasnt picked up before this), 3 of the 4 were damaged to the point they couldnt be used. Was unable to get new ones, closest was out of germany at about $180 each, so if anyone has some be aware they are valuable. Have sent my old ones off to be sleeved. Will let you know how it turns out.

WGB

I have purchased new calipers from the US and price was about the same as you are talking for the pistons.

Try www.autohauzaz.com but watch the postage costs.

The same rear calipers were used in most 116 models so recondtioned local exchange calipers should be readily available.

Bill

OP
hoddo

hoddo

Connoisseur
450 is back on the road. To get the caliper pistons ground down and a stainless sleeve pressed on was $100 per piston. Mech said they are now better than original.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Hoddo, the whole episode surprises me completely. In all my time, I have never come across any Mercedes Benz calipers, whether front or rear, that needed to be sleeved. Still, I guess one learns something new every day. BTW, usually rekitting and a good clean up works just fine. Ah well. Regards Styria (Thanks for bringing us up to date).

OP
hoddo

hoddo

Connoisseur
From what I was told the pistons are chrome plated which is very thin and seems due to water and grime getting in thru worn rubber bits that are sposed to stop stuff getting in, they were "stuffed" to use a technical term. They actual caliper body is bulletproof