C107's C107

More threads by c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I've never really posted a thread specifically on the car that brought me to this forum, my 450SLC.

I purchased the car in 2003. At the time I was weighing up between a 280SE 3.5 and a 450SLC. I figured I would have plenty of time to drive four door cars later in life so went with the SLC.

The car was originally owned by Fletchers Fotogragraphics which was a big chain of photography stores at the time. Delivered new by McIntosh of Mosman, but largely eastern suburbs kept for its first life. It has always been an eastern suburbs/north shore car its whole life.

The SLC had 260,000 when I bought it and it now has less than a fuel tank to 300k. Technically has has already passed 300k as the odometer was broken for about 2 months back in around 2007 before I got it fixed. I have a full history for the car back to new.

Its been my primary car for about half of my ownership. Starting the first 5 years, then it was driven occasionally by my dad while I was living in the USA then for a few years when I got back. Now I have three children the 300SE fills this role and the SLC is driven more occasionally. As I commute on the bus, even if its most used years it was still only doing 3-5k per year.

I've never had to do anything major mechanically, but I've had rust cut out twice - once around the rear screen 10 years ago and then it had a full respray by Jerry about 2 years ago. The paint had become rather faded by then.

In the 15 years its left me stranded only twice - once for a bad fuel pump and once for a bad coil. In the case of the fuel pump I was able to get it started again after 15 mins.

More here:
http://www.classicjalopy.com/1977-mercedes-450slc/

After Respray:
27176626656_2faf58d537_c.jpg

26605102123_aed1eee03d_c.jpg

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I had noticed some broken vacuum lines last time I was doing work on the car, so yesterday I had a quick look.

The vacuum retard lines had been previously disconnected, but were left all broken. I cleaned up all the broken lines, but didn't reconnect the retard.

The vacuum advance was also broken, so I reconnected this. The engine has the timing to euro spec (based on my crappy timing light). It runs on either 95 or 98. I didn't think to check if the vacuum advance is working or not, should have a look at that.

The car goes pretty well - its the 8:1 engine but not with the original timing for crappy fuel.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That is one nice looking SLC.
I remember ogling it when it was at the workshop being resprayed.
A very sharp and straight C107!
Congratulations!

Last edited:

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Bryce,
What a lovely car, and I can tell you something about it.

Neil Fletcher was my Fathers niece (Irene Fletcher) husband.
He is the original Fletcher of Fletchers photographics.

We used to visit him to buy cameras etc at his Pitt St store.

I rode in this car on a few occasions when Neil first purchased it.
I remember well the lovely lovers on the rear 1/4’s viewed from the back seat.

Neil was a true card, and he used to frequent John Law’s radio show with camera advice.

We even have original wedding photos from the 60’s with the stamp on the back “Fletchers wedding photography”, which is of course how he started.

What a coincidence mate.
Glad the car is still alive and well, as I had always wondered what happened to it.

I can even try and get back in touch with Neil if he is still alive, his now ex wife is a lovely lady and she would have some great MB stories to tell, as that is the only brand they drove.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Bryce,
What a lovely car, and I can tell you something about it.

Neil Fletcher was my Fathers niece (Irene Fletcher) husband.
He is the original Fletcher of Fletchers photographics.

We used to visit him to buy cameras etc at his Pitt St store.

I rode in this car on a few occasions when Neil first purchased it.
I remember well the lovely lovers on the rear 1/4’s viewed from the back seat.

Neil was a true card, and he used to frequent John Law’s radio show with camera advice.

We even have original wedding photos from the 60’s with the stamp on the back “Fletchers wedding photography”, which is of course how he started.

What a coincidence mate.
Glad the car is still alive and well, as I had always wondered what happened to it.

I can even try and get back in touch with Neil if he is still alive, his now ex wife is a lovely lady and she would have some great MB stories to tell, as that is the only brand they drove.

Wow what a small world!
I plan to bring the car to the get together in Feb, so if you're able to make it you'll see it then.

I would be very interested in any stories from when it was new. I have the original service book for the car, but not anything more than that.

I bought the car from a property developer in Vaucluse. He had owned one when new and always regetted selling it. He bought this car but found it was very hard on his knees (He was quite elderly and had knee problems, not helped by such a low car) and so sold it and bought an SUV.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Bryce,

I talk to Neil’s daughter from time to time who lives in the USA.

I will ask her for a few stories from her childhood.

I do have a pic of Neil somewhere sitting with my dad having a giant can of KB Lager.
They used to make a can that held the same as a long neck, either 750ml or 16oz I think? May have been 32oz?

Anyway it’s a good pic with typical 70’s clobber that Neil always wore, paisley body shirts, flares lamb chop side burns and huge handlebar moustache. A real trend setter.

A real blokes bloke who had made it, but never forgot where he came from.

I remember him fondly, and he always had a good word, or some change from his pocket for a kid like me.
Good memories of him and his cars.

Of course his gleaming new 450SLC looked like a space ship next to my dads HD Holden.

I seem to remember an older white MB, 2 door of course, probably something like below before your beautiful 450SLC came along.

Yes mate,
It is a small world that’s for sure.
5-A29-C964-03-A9-49-A0-ACBC-3-B1-A6-AB8-EA92.jpg

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Cheers! That would be great.

It would have been a big step up from a w114 coupe to a brand new SLC.

Bryce,

I talk to Neil’s daughter from time to time who lives in the USA.

I will ask her for a few stories from her childhood.

I do have a pic of Neil somewhere sitting with my dad having a giant can of KB Lager.
They used to make a can that held the same as a long neck, either 750ml or 16oz I think? May have been 32oz?

Anyway it’s a good pic with typical 70’s clobber that Neil always wore, paisley body shirts, flares lamb chop side burns and huge handlebar moustache. A real trend setter.

A real blokes bloke who had made it, but never forgot where he came from.

I remember him fondly, and he always had a good word, or some change from his pocket for a kid like me.
Good memories of him and his cars.

Of course his gleaming new 450SLC looked like a space ship next to my dads HD Holden.

I seem to remember an older white MB, 2 door of course, probably something like below before your beautiful 450SLC came along.

Yes mate,
It is a small world that’s for sure.
5-A29-C964-03-A9-49-A0-ACBC-3-B1-A6-AB8-EA92.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
This sort of "stuff" is what TK should be like and, whatsmore, cater for it. I have always been guilty of "elaborating" no matter what story or what occasion, but it is nice to exchange ideas and stories with fellow members and friends.

I recall C107 coming to visit me at my workshop and not totally surprising to me, we chatted for three hours, and never caught a second of a boring moment. This episode with Bryce's car is an absolute bonus. Regards Styria

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
450 SLC' s are my favourite car style.
I am thinkin' it would be nice to have a 5.4 litre M113K engine in one of these. :D
It wouldn't upset the suspension balance THAT much, but 350kW would make life interesting. I would leave '450 SLC' on the bootlid.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
450 SLC' s are my favourite car style.
I am thinkin' it would be nice to have a 5.4 litre M113K engine in one of these. :D
It wouldn't upset the suspension balance THAT much, but 350kW would make life interesting. I would leave '450 SLC' on the bootlid.

Would be an pretty quick machine! I would want bigger brakes and ABS with 350kW though!

Patrick_R

Grand Master
How did she go on the Old Pacific Highway Bryce?
Did you lock her in second gear for some of those bends to keep her revs up?
How were the brakes?

Or was it more of a leisurely drive?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
While I don’t possess a C107 to compare with, a cruise along a smooth and windy road would be a pleasure.
Well done mate, it’s a lovely car.

Styria

The Godfather
Patrick, don't let Bryce fool you with his "just went for a nice cruise" I've had occasion to chase him in SEL 6.9's E55 AMG, and I had no hope of keeping up with him in his 4.2 E-Type. At the time I swore that his brake lights were inoperative - fat chance, I just couldn't keep up with him.

David tried to do better on the way back from Oberon and I must admit that I really hung on and braced myself for the inevitable. It made no difference - he was gone until he pulled up with 'hot' brakes, but the damage had been done to my pride and perceived prowess of driving skills. Regards Styria

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I've been using the 107 this weekend and I've noticed some sqeaking from the rear end that gets worse when the brakes are on.

After a longish drive (40 mins), the alloy wheels are HOT to the touch on the rears, but ok on the fronts. Both rears are hot, not just one.

My assumption here is that I have dragging brakes. If it was on one side it would be easy - start with the flexible hose and if not that, the caliper. However, with both sides, I'm not so sure.

There is also quite a bit of brake dust on the rears (more than the fronts!)