1980 6.9 with ABS

More threads by motec 6.9

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Good looker and super rare with ABS.

But I wonder why the headreasts were removed (front and back)

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Michel i wiuld think they were taken out for photo purposes only . As ther is no comment about them being removed.:)

260ebenz

Master
Impressive 6.9 for sale I like the colour.

Why would the headrests have been removed?

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
A few 6.9's, right at the end of the production run, were fitted with ABS, by DB.

I wonder if this was one of them, or was later fitted with a W126 system.

Airbags were first fitted as an option on the W126.

I have read a magazine article of a Gullwing fitted with ABS. The propellor shaft was marked so that a laser reader could read the movement of it, and thus detect detect skidding in conjucttion with non movement of the wheels.

260ebenz

Master
A few 6.9's, right at the end of the production run, were fitted with ABS, by DB.

I wonder if this was one of them, or was later fitted with a W126 system.

Airbags were first fitted as an option on the W126.

I have read a magazine article of a Gullwing fitted with ABS. The propellor shaft was marked so that a laser reader could read the movement of it, and thus detect detect skidding in conjucttion with non movement of the wheels.

Talking of MB's with airbags my 300SE has a drivers airbag which is a bonus.

A Gullwing fitted with ABS now that is interesting.

WGB

ABS was a very expensive option from 1978.

I remember people not buying early 126's in NZ with it as they were worried about the complexity and whether anybody could fix it but time has shown it to be both useful and reliable.

Bill

PS it is also missing it's washer bottle and seems to be fitted with a later 126 type stereo.

Last edited:

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hello Helmet drivers airbag in my 300SE is fine so I have been told.

If I ever need to replace the airbag how much does the airbag cost?

Cheers.

Its a bit of a grey area in the motoring world at the moment. When they first came out there was a sticker on the door pillar with a use by date for the air bag (10 years) , this was extended to 15 years. Now the general consensus seems to be they will last the "life of the car'. A new air bag is over 2K Tim .

260ebenz

Master
Its a bit of a grey area in the motoring world at the moment. When they first came out there was a sticker on the door pillar with a use by date for the air bag (10 years) , this was extended to 15 years. Now the general consensus seems to be they will last the "life of the car'. A new air bag is over 2K Tim .

Thank you for the info Helmet.

Tony66_au

Legal definition of a "lifetime" for cars is usually 20 or 25 years Gents.

Airbags and especially early units use an explosive propellant that is quite toxic to humans and also suffers from moisture badly as the product is hydroscopic.

The stuff they use now if far safer and more stable over time which is probably why they are pushing for replacement after 20 years.

The igniters also tend to fail over time and this too is an issue with unreliability.

I spent a while at a mates (who has a wrecking yard) cleaning the place up and scrapping cars and parts that didn't move and came across an issue where we couldn't legally dispose of airbags removed from cars unless they were discharged so one Saturday afternoon we 'Discharged" 30 or so mainly from Commodores and Falcons that had cosmetic damage.

Although still sealed probably 30% of em didn't discharge on a 12 or 24 volt current and when I got inventive with a car coil only 2 or 3 defective units went bang, Good fun and they go off pretty hard even with a few besser bricks on top lol

So if you want to be 100% sure? replace them with new units.

But there is no sure fire way to 'know" if they are fine or not.

Cheers,
Tony

Oversize

Grand Master
This was raised in another thread, so thanks once again for the info Tony! And as I said in that thread, it's another reason why my Sunday cars are pre airbags and multi ECUs.... Ideally your daily should be the newest car you can afford, especially if you travel high kms, transporting kids, or your other loved ones often. No-one wants to be a temp citizen..... :eek:

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
This was raised in another thread, so thanks once again for the info Tony! And as I said in that thread, it's another reason why my Sunday cars are pre airbags and multi ECUs.... Ideally your daily should be the newest car you can afford, especially if you travel high kms, transporting kids, or your . No-one wants to be a temp citizen..... :eek:

Good info about airbags Oversize and Tony thanks guys!

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark (No-one wants to be a temp citizen..... ) does riding a Harley count :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
A guy in SA claims there’s a few ABS 6.9s there but did not clarify if they were Aussie or grey imports. When I asked for more info with rego or vins he said I was calling him stupid & deleted his comments on FB. Probably blocked me too. Some people need to grow up!

Can we all agree there’s no Aussie cars with ABS? Has anyone seen one with an Aussie placard?

c107

and 111/116/124/126
A guy in SA claims there’s a few ABS 6.9s there but did not clarify if they were Aussie or grey imports. When I asked for more info with rego or vins he said I was calling him stupid & deleted his comments on FB. Probably blocked me too. Some people need to grow up!

Can we all agree there’s no Aussie cars with ABS? Has anyone seen one with an Aussie placard?
I've never seen anywhere that ABS was offered on aussie W116s. I've seen two UK import cars with ABS for sale, but never an aussie car.
A guy on facebook once said it was available, but never offered any evidence.