Prices for genuine 6.9 bits

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well boys n girls I hope you're sitting down!! I was at Silver Star in Doncaster today to see what's still available and for how much. All prices are full retail (I can get a trade discount; lucky me!?):

1163271881 front strut upper mounts $406.95ea,
1163271481 rear strut upper mounts $231.41ea,
1163201028 rear strut ball joint $2031.77ea,
1263201315 rear cell $1188.74ea,
1263200715 front & central cells $735.49ea,
1232411413 engine mounts $463.23ea,
1162400418 transmission mount $409.55,
1163280292 rear strut boots $90.52ea,

Front strut ball joints NLA,
Tailshaft couplings NLA.

OMG the total was nearly $11.5K!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, did you forget to get the price for the front strut bottom mount ? Anyway, it's now been illustrated that if you're relying on OZ prices, the 6.9s are relegated to the scrapheap. It might also be the reason why 116s don't fetch decent money.

Anyway, you know that you don't have to buy locally. The prices for the Air Cells I have quoted you are a fraction of what you pay locally - and they are Lemfoerder and OEM units. Regards Styria

CraigS

No big news to most of us here. We all know that the local parts prices are out of whack with what is available overseas. I did an exercise some years ago on the cost of replacing 6.9 suspension parts - or at least, those that were available. Local cost was in excess of $25,000. From overseas, $5,800.

Same for Citroen. Suspension spheres locally $400 each. Price for 4, bought from the US, shipped Fedex from the UK, here in 5 days - $350 !

WiSeGuYY

MARK , i agree with CRAIG and of course the GODFATHER , the prices in the US is much cheaper and i don't think CALI is far from you -i know everything exist in OZ but prices are sky high , might be high also in GERMANY but USA i think more closer to you.

REGARDS

TAREK

CraigS

I think they would be telling you to take it away, find a second hand part, then bring it back. I can't recall off hand which of the suspension parts are NLA, but there are a few of them.

Tony66_au

Stuttgart has a fair range of bits that can be flown in and at the dealer within 7 days (As I found out when I enquired about a rear wheel bearing for my Wagon at my local Benz dealer.

I asked about M117 parts and he knew what I was on about and told me he could get just about anything, I then told him it was for a D jet car and he checked again and wasn't so ####y lol

What they generally have in stock depends on the area I guess but Silver Star is definitely a large dealership and when I last had a Mercedes under 5 years of age they looked after it for me VERY well.

Helmet

Connoisseur
Looks like this 6.9 for 55K euro is priced ok :cool:
It was like new :D
ATTACH]

Tony66_au

Man that looks nice!

Anyway you know the old story about a car costing 5 times the dealer price if you had to build it with Spare parts......

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Helmet, thanks for the picture and the lead provided by the number plate. If anyone wants to see a bit more of this car, click here:

http://www.rosier.de/mainmenu/gebra...lerien/mercedes-benz-450-sel-69.html?Rgroup=1

It would appear that Rosier MAY have some affiliations or tie-up with the Mercedes Classic Centre. They have some imposing cars for sale. Regarding this 6.9, it is obviously very original in its appearance - whether or not some restorations have taken place, I certainly cannot tell. I note with interest that it was originally a car sold to Italian interests, and this is an early model devoid of the later model timber sliding switch panel, plain vinyl gearbox console, lower RPM readings on the rev counter, no passenger mirror and the absence of the dual horn feature - but it is very nice. Regards Styria

N.B. At least, this company lists selling prices, unlike others that quote POA.

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Helmet, thanks for the picture and the lead provided by the number plate. If anyone wants to see a bit more of this car, click here:

http://www.rosier.de/mainmenu/gebra...lerien/mercedes-benz-450-sel-69.html?Rgroup=1

It would appear that Rosier MAY have some affiliations or tie-up with the Mercedes Classic Centre. They have some imposing cars for sale. Regarding this 6.9, it is obviously very original in its appearance - whether or not some restorations have taken place, I certainly cannot tell. I note with interest that it was originally a car sold to Italian interests, and this is an early model devoid of the later model timber sliding switch panel, plain vinyl gearbox console, lower RPM readings on the rev counter, no passenger mirror and the absence of the dual horn feature - but it is very nice. Regards Styria

Yes it was the earliest 6.9 that I have seen, I didnt even know they made them in 1976. I always thought they started in 77. You learn something everyday :)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Helmet, I agree with the learning bit - at the moment I want to find out the cost, size and structure of the coffin I want to use in 2032. :D On a serious note, and getting back to this 6.9, the first cars were manufactured and sold in 1975. Apart from initially sporting steel wheels and hubcaps, the other modifications of note that I am aware of relate to the water pump and water pump housing (the part that fits between pum and block - the pump is 6.3, the housing EXCLUSIVE to early 6.9s - because of the larger size of the engine block, the 6.3 housing is too small. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Styria you mean to say you won't be buried in GB????!!!! :D Do the front strut lower mounts look like ball joints? I tried to get prices for them, but they're NLA. After some research, I don't think leaking struts will be a problem in the future, but more likely it'll be the mounts. Who can remanufacture (or rebuild) ball joints?????

Beautiful white 6.9!!!! I wish.....

I think if you took a 6.9 into a MB dealer for repairs, they wouldn't laugh quite as hard as if you'd taken a XD into the Ford dealer next door!!!! :D:p;)

The pricing issue just highlights the importance of OEM manufacturers, the aftermarket industry and the internet. At least MB does provide some support, whereas other marques TOTALLY rely on a fickle aftermarket industry..... Although the prices are horrifying, it's an option if there is no other. Fortunately we have many other options, but it'd be good if OEM gave us more support and the aftermarket industry stepped up to the plate like they do for other popular cars (Chev, Holden, Ford).

None of this would make me sell it all and buy a new car. It's just interesting info for us all and a topic to discuss further. I do think we need to list more recommended suppliers and repairers. I'll be doing so as I get more things fixed. :)

Styria

The Godfather
I guess most of us, including myself, are both horrified and certainly in my case, cynical of the pricing structure of parts sold in this country. However, I've done some thinking and I should have done this a long time ago - and it does not necessarily help our cause.

If say, our cars would be worth upwards of even 30K. Euros, we would hardly worry paying ten to fifteen for spare parts, would we ? Because then, after all said and done, we'd still be close to the green side of the ledger. Of course, we don't have that luxury, and therein lies our problem, and probably the majority of 116, 126 and even 107 owners - the monetary value just isn't there.

Regarding certain parts for our 6.9s, I have had rebuilt front and rear strut bottom ball joints for some three to four years now, although I am having some difficulty with that source - apparently too much work and time consuming. So they are available, on exchange, to most owners. The same applies to the top links with their ball joint - I've had them for the same period, as well as drag links (6.9 unique), rebuilt water pumps etc. etc. Also a REASONABLY good contact for Lemfoerder Air Cells in the States (recently established source), plus I have had remanufactured rocker cover gaskets, rebuilt steering boxes with now more intricate modifications (at extra charge).

Regards Styria

N.B. Regarding after market suppliers - the problem with that source is lack of numbers of cars. There are probably about , say, twenty eight road registered 6.9s in NSW. Who'd bother to have parts specially made up in such small quantities ? Totally uneconomical. Holdens, Falcons - still a dime a dozen, except the dime has multiplied many, many times over.

260ebenz

Master

That is a beautiful looking 6.9!

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria all i can say about the silver 6.9 is yum . And Mark i have made a small fortune out of my 6.9 ownership . I started with a large one LOL :D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Styria I'm sorry if this thread has you down in the dumps.... For me it's not about making money; it's about the experience and the challenge. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it... (Holden, Ford, Chev)!!!

Hey at least we're not into horses.... Come off and live in a wheelchair. Or spend all your money only to have to put a bullet in it the next day!!! Now that's :eek::eek: