Going to view a 500SLC for sale

More threads by MB_Mike

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
There is a 500SLC for sale that I am considering. It is listed as a 1980 however when looking at the online registry for these it is identified as an '81. The owner seems to think it is titled as a 1979 :confused:

Anyway, the price @ $1500 USD seems reasonable as the interior comes with the car but has been removed and it will need drivers side floor pans front and rear. It also requires a fuel pump and 2 rear brake calipers (missing).

The C.O. states that the car was coded as silver but has been repainted dark red.

The point to all this is what things specifically should I be on the look out for? The car is not running due to the fuel pump so how do I know if it is worth anything other than parts?

I appreciate any help.

Mike

John S

Mike, in its current state it is only worth money as a parts car, anything that cannot be checked should be considered not useable.

I think the 500 was a grey import to the USA, only the 560SLC being officially imported.

There have been some nice SLC's advertised in the USA for under $12K which (I would think) is much cheaper than the 500SLC will end up costing.

alabbasi

They only made 2700 or so 450SLC 5.0's and 500SLC cars combined so they should be preserved as much as necessary (unless they are total rust buckets).

They are quite special and quite fast cars and very robust. I bought 4 non running SLC 5.0 cars in the last couple of years and got them all running quite well with not a lot of effort.

These cars ran from 77 to 81 which is when the SLC line ended and the SEC's were introduced. They were homologation specials that were built so that MB could enter them into rally's.

If you don't want it, let the people on the mbca slc 5.0/500slc forum know about the car. I'm sure it will find a good home.

OP
M

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
Thanks for the replies. John you make a very sound point and I only wish that I could take that stand. I tend to have a much more romantic view and want to save these amazing machines.

I think the answer lies somewhere between John and Al. I will buy it with the knowledge that I will loose money on it as a parts car but with the hope that I can can restore it.

I will keep you updated as I go along.

Btw Al, thanks for the pm back. I hope I can lean on you a little as I go through the process.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mike, as Alabbasi said, these are quite special and quite frankly, at the price it should be a steal. Unless I have missed it, nowhere in this thread do I see a reference to the condition of the car - I am talking lack of pictures. So, is it rusty, what is the interior like - they are not an easy car to work on, or restore, especially if you are not mechanically minded or bodywise proficient.

I'd be most interested in the outcome of your intended purchase. Regards Styria

John S

This comment "will need drivers side floor pans front and rear. It also requires a fuel pump and 2 rear brake calipers (missing)." seems to indicate that it has its fair share of rust, and no fuel pump means that you cannot even check if the engine actually runs, so the condition is impossible to verify - it may have no oil pressure at all. There are people braver than I am who will be interested however.

OP
M

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
Styria, I received some pictures on my phone but they do not tell the story. I was told that the floor pans deteriorated due to failed window seals which is quite possible (no?). The interior is out of the car as a result of an incomplete resto, but I am told in otherwise acceptable condition.

John, I fully agree with you about not knowing the condition of the mechanicals without a fuel pump. It is my understanding these engines are pretty tough and I will do my best to convince the owner to let me have as much of a look at the internals as I can.

I have a couple of motivations here:

1. Taking the trip is like a pilgrimage. There are not a lot of "special" Mercedes in my area in any condition. So even if its a total basket case it could be fun.

2. If it is a basket case, perhaps I can work the price down just a little more and worst case it serves other 107.026 cars as a donor.

3. Best case, I get a running car with less that 3,000 produced for an unbelievable price plus the cost of a fuel pump and floor pans.

4. I buy the car forget the fuel pump and the floor pans and drive around "foot powered" yelling Yabba dabba doo!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
4. I buy the car forget the fuel pump and the floor pans and drive around "foot powered" yelling Yabba dabba doo!

My favourite option.....:D

Just make sure you have a camera crew in tow:p

Last edited:
OP
M

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
Bought the questionable 500SLC

So while I am always good for an "I told you so", I can also appreciate a "Well its not that bad". So without further ado

http://s570.photobucket.com/albums/ss143/mikecarrol1/

A little about the car. It was purchased by the po from a guy in Owego (who had bought 2 from TX [this being one of them] with the intention of rallying them). Po says he drove it over the summer a couple years ago and it ran great! Well it still had a TX reg sticker in the window so I dont know how you get away with that in NY. Then he said the fuel pump quit and while it was down and out why not restore it?! He intented to repair the rusty floor pans and removed all of the interior. Well it is a complete basket case. I am certainly not throwing stones either. I am sure he was very honest and well intentioned as we all can be at times.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
So.....

Did you buy it MIKE?????

TJ 450

It's a bit like the 500SEC (W126) I had. Unless you really want a 500SLC and are prepared for a total restoration costing many thousands, then I would take John S's advice.

And why on Earth is it sitting out in the snow like that?

Tim

OP
M

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
OH :eek: Ummm. I bought it. I realize the cost to restore will be quite high. I am hoping to get it to a decent runner and take it from there. I beat the po up over the price to the point that I should hope to recoup most of my cost in parts. My 560SEL has wheels that the po chromed years ago and they are peeling to the point of embarrassment. So, I figured I over paid for a set of wheels and a 500SLC came with it.

As for why it is sitting in the snow, it has spent most of the last few years out of doors under a cover; I was so tired last night from pushing it to and fro, I thought a few more nights wouldnt hurt it is under a cover again.

I am open to any and all criticism ;)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
OH :eek: Ummm. I bought it. I realize the cost to restore will be quite high. I am hoping to get it to a decent runner and take it from there. I beat the po up over the price to the point that I should hope to recoup most of my cost in parts. My 560SEL has wheels that the po chromed years ago and they are peeling to the point of embarrassment. So, I figured I over paid for a set of wheels and a 500SLC came with it.

As for why it is sitting in the snow, it has spent most of the last few years out of doors under a cover; I was so tired last night from pushing it to and fro, I thought a few more nights wouldnt hurt it is under a cover again.

I am open to any and all criticism ;)

Well done Mike....

Don't worry about the knockers... they only mean well.

But I'm with you.

The car is right (pretty rare)...
The colour is right :D
and
The price is right....;)

Congratulations

TJ 450

Sounds like you got it at a good price, and it is a desirable car. Hopefully it isn't too rusty.

I look forward to the progress reports. ;)

Tim

OP
M

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
Thank you for the encouragement. There are some people who have their wits about them when it comes to these sort of projects and I am just not one of them :D

Actually Al-Abbasi is my inspiration for this. Following his projects gives me the courage although the knowledge comes with experience.

Here's to experience!

Styria

The Godfather
Hi MB Mike, I had my suspicions that you were going to get roped into this - in fact, I reckon you talked yourself into it, didn't you ? :D So, I am not surprised and, obviously, good luck with it.

I read with interest your remark regarding the inspiration coming from Alabbasi - you will need to be careful with that - Al has restored some very, very nasty projects and he is an old hand at it. There wouldn't be too many folks going around that are wizards like he is....and I say that with compliments. I can already feel the phone lines getting hot. Anyway, great buy and please, keep up the pics. Regards Styria

OP
M

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
Styria, you could not be more correct sir. I brought along a friend whom I told before we arrived that he should let me know his honest opinion. Well, once the po walked into the house, I inquired of my friend Dave, who promptly said "Forget it". My retort was "Well, I'll offer him 1/2 of what he is asking". And I settled with the po to pay him 2/3. :eek:

I make reference to Al because I suppose we need role models. He has not agreed to this and perhaps he may not like it, but with the internet so many of us become public figures and with publicity comes emulators ;) Of course I am being very tongue in cheek. I respect his work from a far and hope to glean some knowledge from his postings and from all of you as well. This forum like so many others are a great resource to those of us just getting started.

By the way I received the data card information back from the Classic Center this morning:

Engine: 117960-12-003050
Transmission: 722305-02-064710
480- Paint, Maganese Brown
934- Interior Trim, Light Brown Velour
404- Orthopaedic front seat backrest, left
405- Orthopaedic front seat backrest, right
410- Electric sliding roof
440- Tempomat (cruise control)
473- Low-compression engine
480- Self-levelling suspension
481- Undershields
502- Outside rearview mirror, on the right
511- Becker radio
522- Reims adapter
524- Paintcoat preservation
525- 1kg lacquer
531- Automatic antenna
570- Front folding armrest
581- Automatic climate control
592- Heat-insulating glass, all around
600- Headlamp wiper/washer
610- Halogen lamp unit, amber
656- Michelin tires
668- Mode of packing VE III
674- High-capacity battery
682- Fire extinguisher
687- Model plate indicating year of construction
870- Electric seat heater for left front seat
871- Electric seat heater for right front seat
Date: March 3, 1981

This is so far off from what the car is today, it is hard to believe its the same car.

Thoughts?

alabbasi

Just took a look at the pictures, it looks pretty straight but you need to get it on a lift to get a good idea of what you have. I've fabricated floors for a 350sl but Park Place Motorcars in Dallas will sell a new pan for about $200 so it's hardly worth it.

If you need that rear glass, I have it and the finny stuff, shoot me an Email.

Lastly, if your planning to drive it, you'll need to turn that seat in the right direction ;-).

Well done :D