Waymo's boss's view on autonomous cars

More threads by motec 6.9

BenzBoy

Grand Master
5G is constantly spruiked as the interconnectivity of things but I have my doubts. Imagine driverless cars all directed and communicating with 5G (or 6G when it happens) and the internet blinks? Mass murder! Even worse, your Samsung smart fridge links to your Tesla and sends the damn thing out for ice-cream….nah. I am a committed Luddite.
Regards,
Brian

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Same my phone freezes occasionally but that's the whole point. An autonomous car having a computer freeze could potentially be catastrophic.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Fully autonomous (and I mean totally) vehicles will only happen on ‘tracks’ or in an environment where everything is connected.

What we have now is something that is a fraction of what to expect.
I drove down to the Summernats last Saturday in a Kia Sorrento (SUV) with adaptive (or smart) cruise control and lane-keep assist and it relieved a lot of the pressure of highway driving where-by the car stayed in the lane and kept itself positioned firmly in the centre of my lane (even if I let go of the steering wheel) and the adaptive cruise control kept me at a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.

These are the little niceties of driving very modern cars with the latest ADAS technology.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Fully autonomous (and I mean totally) vehicles will only happen on ‘tracks’ or in an environment where everything is connected.

What we have now is something that is a fraction of what to expect.
I drove down to the Summernats last Saturday in a Kia Sorrento (SUV) with adaptive (or smart) cruise control and lane-keep assist and it relieved a lot of the pressure of highway driving where-by the car stayed in the lane and kept itself positioned firmly in the centre of my lane (even if I let go of the steering wheel) and the adaptive cruise control kept me at a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.

These are the little niceties of driving very modern cars with the latest ADAS technology.

Did you have the problem of people cutting in front of you with the adaptive cruise control?

A few years ago I drove a car with an earlier version of this and it wanted to keep such a massive distance that cars would cut in and it would brake to slow down so we were constantly yo-yoing at speed.

In the end I just turned it off.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Did you have the problem of people cutting in front of you with the adaptive cruise control?

A few years ago I drove a car with an earlier version of this and it wanted to keep such a massive distance that cars would cut in and it would brake to slow down so we were constantly yo-yoing at speed.

In the end I just turned it off.

Most new adaptive cruise control cars have adjustable distance between them and the vehicles in front.
From relatively close to a fair distance in between.

Oversize

Grand Master
I’d imagine it’ll never happen until they legislate on liability. ATM who’s to blame if one causes a crash???

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I’d imagine it’ll never happen until they legislate on liability. ATM who’s to blame if one causes a crash???

ATM it’s the driver.