Going back in time.

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, one can just as easily say "Where are they now" or better still, "Wish I could have bought one or have one today", but also going back through old print, one gets the opportunity to examine yesterday's theories and achievements with today's offerings. All of the PDFs, or the articles used, I have been saving for many years.......this section, and some others, perhaps provide the opportunity to retain the information as a more permanent record.

It is hoped that the cars, and other material featured in this section, will help to emphasize the importance of TK to cater for the true enthusiast. Please examine, evaluate and hopefully enjoy. Regards Styria

Attachments

• Aston Martin - Project 214_NEW_NEW.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • AUSTIN ATLANTIC.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Bentley Embiricos.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • BMW M1 Magic.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I'd just like to add a little of my own feelings on the Aston Martin. I have always had a soft spot for them - to the extent that I became a member of the Aston Martin Owners Club in England and to this day I still have the badge. Reading the article - I can't help but be blown away by the tenacity with which the owner pursued all the various parts, and his determination in overcoming the apparent hostilityshown by various sources, including obviously the owner of the other DB214 - was it, or is it, Mike Salmon ? Anyway, what a project, what a task, what an achievement, never mind the cost. Its value today ? Could I guess at $3 millions ? Regards Styria

The Austin Atlantic - what a pretty car. I have spotted one at Eastern Creek previously, and if I can dig up the photo, I'll be posting it.

The Bentley ? Maybe BenzBoy might throw his weight behind it with some appropriate comments. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
E-Type versus Chevrolet Corvette
Citroen versus Jaguar
Bugatti 35T

Regards Styria

Attachments

• Coupes de Grace.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • Citroen vs. Jaguar_NEW.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Bugatti 35T.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Regarding the Embiricos Bentley - unfortunately, the PDF document is not able to do justice to the exquisite bodyshape of the car. Thus, I have decided to look further afield about the car(s), and its whereabouts and it certainly has become a much sought after, and probably highly priced, example of this Rolls Bentley Special. The website shown hereunder does attempt to clarify the intricacies a little of its life today, although I still don't know who owns it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/15/the-windsor-castle-concours-delegance-in-pictures-courtesy-of/

This Rolls Bentley also reminds me of the Mercedes Autobahn Courier of the same period. I saw one of those at C. F. Mirbach when I was in Germany back in 2005. What a car. I will need to find one of the photographs I took at the time. BTW, this AUTOBLOG website is certainly worth further investigation and perusal. Regards Styria

N.B. As I said, this site is worthwhile investigating. I would love to see more pictures of this magnificent, what I think, is a Horch.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-windsor-castle-concours-of-elegance/#photo-5287865/

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Rolls Bentley? A new model? Sorry Styria, there are 4 different Bentley phases:
1. A W.O. Bentley made by the great man himself. This is the original and most valuable of any Bentley. A number exist in Australia.
2. A Derby Bentley made by Rolls-Royce after the Great Depression of 1930 send W.O. bankrupt and made by R-R at their Derby factory.
3. A Crewe Bentley made from the end of WWII by R-R at their Crewe factory.
4. A Bentley made by the new Bentley Motors 1931 bought by V.W. and made in the old Crewe factory at the time when R-R and Bentley were seperated.
I hope this simplifies the task for you.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I am happy to stand corrected at all times - my information is gleaned from the bottom of the second paragraph which states that the Embiricos Bentley (Rolls Bentley) was built at the Crewe factory - prior to WW II. so this must have been an exception. Regards. Styria

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I am happy to stand corrected at all times - my information is gleaned from the bottom of the second paragraph which states that the Embiricos Bentley (Rolls Bentley) was built at the Crewe factory - prior to WW Ii. so this must have been an exception. Regards. Styria
Dear Styria,
Perhaps a mis-reading? The current factory is at Crewe. Not that it matters; it is a stunning car.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Whilst you may more than likely still be correct, the text in the article states......."it was not - as you may have realized by now - a W.O. Bentley, but a Rolls Bentley, a Crewe built machine from the late '30s".

To me, that seems clear - perhaps we should blame the author ? Regards Styria

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The article says:
"Throughout the 1930s Bentley Motors, then owned by Rolls-Royce, was producing fast, refined and well-built Grand Tourers from its Derby factory. While many customers sent their chassis to traditional coachbuilders such as Vanden Plas, H.J. Mulliner or Park Ward for elegant bodywork, enthusiasts from across the Channel, where the roads were longer and faster, were eager to explore the new world of aerodynamics. With the support of the factory, one such owner decided to investigate the possibility of a streamlined high-performance Bentley. The result was the most famous Bentley of the Derby era."
That is exaclty what I am also saying....;)
The first car to be produced at Crewe was in 1946.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, it may have been "from the Derby era", but it does not say that it was built there. At least, if nothing else, it's making us think - and that's got to be a good thing. :D Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Michael. The Derby era refers to when motor car manufacturing was at Derby. This factory changed aircraft engines during WW2 and the car plant moved to Crewe which continued after the War.
R-R continues to use the Derby premisis today for the aerospace division, Bentley now owns Crewe and R-R Motor Cars are made under licence at Goodwood.
It is traditional to refer to the different periods by the place where they were made. For example, my PII is a Derby Phantom and one made today is a Goodwood Phantom.
All clear? ;)
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi sorry i cannot add link as i am posting from my phone but B119MX. Yes the RR Bentley is currently fully restored and for sale by COYS of kensington. Geoff :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Geoff, thanks for your detective work. In Rolls Bentley speak (more troubles with Benz Boy ? :D), it is obviousley considered to be a very special car that has been attracting its fair share of attention. Its styling, whilst not totally "beautiful", is considered to be different enough to make it a bit of a stand out. I must find a picture of the Mercedes Autobahn Kurier - in my view, a somewhat better propotioned and styled automobile.

BenzBoy, it would seem that you are correct and, accordingly, I dips my hat and head to you. Regards to both of you, Styria.

N.B. Geoff, nice to know you are still part of civilization.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
In trouble with me? Never Styria, never.....:eek:
A Rolls Bentley is another thing altogether so let me explain. At one time it became fashionable to try to make a Bentley into a more desirable car by putting an R-R grille on it. Such cars are refered to sometimes as a "Rolls Bentley" but as with any compromised car the resale today is considerably less than the original of either marque..
A Bentley is still a Bentley even when made during the period that the marque was owned by R-R.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
THAT Mercedes Autobahn Kurier - I have found a great blog on one that has just sold recently. The album of pictures greatly exceeds my one or two pictures I snapped in 2005 when visiting C. F. Mirbach.

http://www.autobahnkurier540k.com/Autobahnkurier540k.html

I hope you guys enjoy the pics. - honestly, I am convinced that the Mercedes takes preference over the Derby Embiricos Rolls Bentley (to give it its proper title). Just musing now - I wonder if the Kurier car had any influence on the powers that be, or were, when they laid out their specifications and drawings for the Rolls Bentley ? The Kurier did precede the Embiricos by a couple of years. Regards Styria

N.B. The level of restoration is amazing - think about it - how could one possibly want to sell a car like this ?

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yes it's very nice.
Styria, you say and I quote; " ... Derby Embiricos Rolls Bentley (to give it its proper title)." There is no such thing - it is either a Rolls-Royce or a Bentley. It is not and can't be two brands at the same time. I would normally let this go but since you claim this is its proper title, I am obliged to point out that its name is incorrect. It is simply a Derby Bentley.
Regards,
Brian