Going to view a 500SLC for sale

More threads by MB_Mike

6.9forever

Noble
I just posted pix of my US-based friend's gorgeous Euro-spec (ex-Swiss) 500SLC with 122,000km.

Go to the W107 (sic) R107 or C107 part of the Picture Gallery on this site.

An inspiration!

alabbasi

This is my old 79 450SLC 5.0 that i sold last year.

DSC00908.sized.jpg

DSC00910.sized.jpg

This is my current 81 500SLC

IMGP0399.sized.jpg

The Euro lights have been put back on this car.

Both of these cars were purchased at an estate sale from an enthusiast and were non running. The gold car just needed a fuel pump to get her started but the black car needed a lot more as all the fuel lines were gummed up and the fuel tank was rusty. It also has rust like it was once driven on a beach, calipers were seized and every nut and bolt would break before it would turn.

I need to drive it more.

OP
M

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
Thanks 6.9 and Al. These pictures will certainly serve as both inspiration and motivation as these are sexy cars :D I do have all of the glass as well as the louvers for the windows. The unfortunate thing is I didn't consider or think to ask if all the screws, nuts and bolts are present for the interior.

The biggest thing on my mind at the moment is how the car would be delivered with velour, ortho seats and an original paint color that is neither of the existing 2 and yet still have deteriorated to the condition that it is in. What I mean is why swap seats, install new interior material and paint a car twice and have it end up in such disrepair?!

I know it happens but it is beyond me.

alabbasi

Thanks 6.9 and Al. These pictures will certainly serve as both inspiration and motivation as these are sexy cars :D I do have all of the glass as well as the louvers for the windows. The unfortunate thing is I didn't consider or think to ask if all the screws, nuts and bolts are present for the interior.

The biggest thing on my mind at the moment is how the car would be delivered with velour, ortho seats and an original paint color that is neither of the existing 2 and yet still have deteriorated to the condition that it is in. What I mean is why swap seats, install new interior material and paint a car twice and have it end up in such disrepair?!

I know it happens but it is beyond me.

All you need is for it to get into the hands of one dodgy owner and it would do it. My 81 500SLC (the black one pictured) originally came as metallic gray (anthracite) but was painted black at some point. The job was impressive though because you would be hard pressed to find original color anywhere.

The Ikon Gold car was painted thistle green at one point and again it's very hard to tell it was ever painted. I painted it back to Ikon Gold.

Styria

The Godfather
Unfortunately, when these cars fall into the wrong ownership, anything can go. Many times I have remarked that it is unbelievable how badly neglected some of these cars are, particularly the 116 range, and that includes the 6.9.

I can only think that the cost of spare parts is a major factor, plus the fact that certain types of owners have a "mechanic mate" that "can fix these cars" and invariably they are love or "barter" jobs and all they do is just get the car running without drawing on specialized knowledge and experience these cars can require.

So, it just goes from one problem to another and in the end it's all too much - and I reckon that's what has happened to this car.

I have seen this so much over the years, and it is quite easy to get to the point of no return, with subsequent friction between owners and restorers. Quite disheartening. Regards Styria - for all it's worth.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I still believe that the money paid was peanuts and the car's rarity is well worth it.

I look forward to seeing some more pics and reading more news.

Styria

The Godfather
Well Michel, I totally concur with you, and my remarks were not aimed at this particular car and purchase. More so to other cars that I had personal experience with a while ago where the cars cost just so much to repair/restore/refurbish, particularly when it comes to the purchase of chrome and rubbing strips, door rubbers and the refurbishment of the louvred rear quarter windows. Regards Styria

OP
M

MB_Mike

Connoisseur
I appreciate very much the opinions of all members more experienced than myself. Understanding that many bits can be almost cost prohibitive, I hope to find a suitable donor containing the pieces that I will need (provided the 500 turns over :rolleyes:) I don't know that I care to make it show worthy, just a respectable driver.

450SE

Hi MB Mike,

Over the past four and a bit months, have you had much of a chance to sink your teeth into the project?

It doesn't look as bad as I imagined. Like others said, the body appears straight enough to form a useful start point.

I, as I'm sure others, would be interested in a bit of an update and more photos...

Cheers,

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
My favorite Merc! With the alloy M117 over the front wheels, the turn-in response would be far better than a 6.9 with the cast iron M100 over the front wheels. Same styling cues as the W116 series, and I prefer the coupe shape to the roadster.

I came across a chappy who is building a W107 coupe ex 450 SLC, but with an alloy 6.2 liter (378c.i.) Corvette (Holden Commodore to Aussies) engine. He described the condition as he bought it as about the same as this one, and the budget he allowing for the completed project is $35,000. The engine in this car is shot, and needs to be replaced.

At $1500, your 500 SLC seems like a parts only car to me. With things like new floor pans needed, maybe the rest of the car is in equivalent condition. You could be looking at budget of perhaps $30,000 for your project.

Last edited: