What do YOU do with the audio system of a new acquisition?

More threads by Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

I'm just curious.

We're all different and have different tastes.

I guess the basic question is - when you acquire a car, in our case typically a W116, W107 or any older Mercedes, what do you do about the audio situation?

For example, do you:

Keep the original stereo (especially if you like to keep everything original)?

Swap out the old stereo for a new headunit (i.e CD player, iPod connections etc)?

Simply upgrade the speakers?

Or perhaps you don't care and just listen to the engine anyway? :D

Personally, I've generally gone and bought a new CD player in my cars. I probably should have upgraded the old speakers along the way as well... seems a bit odd to be pumping sound through old speakers from a brand new modern headunit. But I never got that far.

With my latest purchase in the 230E though, I've (thus far) decided to keep the old stereo. Mainly as, firstly, I barely ever use CDs anymore. I'm often finding myself simply using my MP3 player and/or phone connected to an FM transmitter (like one of these) which means all I need is an FM radio and I can play any music I like in the car...
Secondly, the 230E's radio is a Becker Grand Prix Electronic which, while typical of MBs of this vintage, still seem to fetch a pretty penny even when not working properly and actually fits very well with the interior of the car. Actually mine has a faulty tape deck, typical of the old Beckers, but since I never really use cassettes it's not a big deal. Still an AUX or USB input would be kind of nice... but maybe not at the expense of pulling the old unit out.

How about you?

Helmet

Connoisseur
I put a blaupunkt radio cd with Bluetooth in the 6.9. I saves having to have another phone kit and also streams music via Bluetooth.

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

I put a blaupunkt radio cd with Bluetooth in the 6.9. I saves having to have another phone kit and also streams music via Bluetooth.
Blaupunkt has had my interest in previous times especially with the German connection. But can Blaupunkt car radio/cd players be bought in Australia? I've never seen one available except for overseas (online).

Helmet

Connoisseur
Blaupunkt has had my interest in previous times especially with the German connection. But can Blaupunkt car radio/cd players be bought in Australia? I've never seen one available except for overseas (online).

Yes I sell them, have one in my E320 as well.

image.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I changed whatever was in my Rolls Royce Silver Spur (at the time) into a beautiful Blaupunkt unit as well as replaced all speakers and was extremely happy with the sound quality (Bluetooth was not so available at the time).

But the fitting of a Sony unit in the Red Terror with speakers (and a built in USB) was kinda disappointing as the sound quality was not impressive.

Should I do that again, I would keep the original Becker and fit something in the glove box, or use a new Blaupunkt with the Bluetooth (and change speakers) since Helmet recommends it.

Oversize

Grand Master
Most people with classic cars fit a new headunit into the glovebox. They're dirt cheap now and the better ones have a remote (not sure if it'd work with the glovebox shut.... In saying that though the MB units have never been easy on the eye; the original 70s units were horrible and I believe the earlier pinstripe models don't really suit the W116.

I used to have a Blaupunkt unit in an old Corolla. It had a steering wheel remote and a hardwired sensor on the dash with Keypass security. I loved it until the mechanicals started wearing out and the company not longer supported parts. Then they stopped importing car audio altogether!

Alpine are the best although at one stage they were holding speaker grilles on with bluetac! Invest in good speakers with an external amplifier and you won't regret it. Just remember to run-in the speakers before you crank up the volume!

Last edited:
OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

I used to have a Blaupukt unit in an old Corolla.[...]Then they stopped importing car audio altogether!
That's what I thought, as finding a Blaupunkt nowadays seems very very difficult.

I'm curious about putting headunits in the glovebox... haven't heard of that before. But that must require some cutting? :confused:

Oversize

Grand Master
Pull out the insert and make your own mounts/bulkhead. It would be a piece of cake for a professional installer

Oversize

Grand Master
That's what I thought, as finding a Blaupunkt nowadays seems very very difficult.

I'm curious about putting headunits in the glovebox... haven't heard of that before. But that must require some cutting? :confused:

Just checked their website and still nothing in Australia

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Just checked their website and still nothing in Australia
It's a bit disappointing. Other than the German connection they also have some interesting looking units, whereas (IMO) some of the typical Alpine, JVC, Sony, Kenwood units, etc, look pretty same-y with curvy facial features and disco lights.

If I was to ever replace my original stereo I'd sort of want something that would fit nicely with the interior, appearance-wise, while still having modern features. That's just me though.

Oversize

Grand Master
From someone who knows more about it than me; Sound Labs sell Blaupunkt, they are Becker repairers and sell Hirsh aerials too

Styria

The Godfather
It would seem that I could well be be in competition with Helmet on the matter of supplying/selling of Blaupunkt DVD/CD source units. In other words, your old Radio Cassette/CD player, or head unit. Hope that Helmet doesn't mind if I submitted dome details of Blaupunkt units available, as well as the sister brand Axis - both made, of course, not in Germany, but good old China.

The Blaupunkt range starts with the Blaupunkt Montevideo featuring 1-DinDVD-CD Receiver with USB & AUX. Plug'Play for Mobile MP3/SD Cards/USB priced at $279.00 plus postage.

You can then also choose the Toronto 420BT priced at $289.00, and it is the super duper model from their range. It features everything but a wedding ring, such as Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR, Audio Streaming, Phone Book Access,, built in Mic plus rear input. 3 Band Equalizer, 2 USB front and rear, i.Pod/Phone direct control, Front Aux-in with Audio Mix. $289.00 plus postage.

In addition, in the Blaupunkt range, one can chose then the San Francisco 320 model ($239.00), the London 120 ($149.00), the Melbourne 120 ($129.00 and the 24volt (should one be interested) Miami 100-24 priced at $199.00. I recently purchased a Montevideo, and a Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT, as well as an Axis 1205BT - the Montevideo for a customer, and the Blaupunkt units for my Rover Coupes. Regards, Styria

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Andrew, sorry I have hi jacked your thread to some extent. In answer to your specifics, I can add the following for your consideration:

As a rule, the various Becker units, and there are many of them that have been produced over the years, will give you adequate sound from both front and rear speakers. You have the nice balance feature on the gearbox console, and of course some models will also feature tape deck operation. Quite satisfactory - a couple of problems with them, viz the little trap door has an extremely fragile plastic pin that operates the Cassette sliding trap door, and also nowadays quite often the tape deck is in need of repair and the tuning function rubber band becomes hard and brittle.

Gleaming Beauty, as standard, came with the All Black 2 huge button frontal face, and I intensely disliked its appearance. Plus, the quality of sound ? A bit "how do you do". Thus, about twelve years ago, I installed the most expensive "timber look" Pioneer Cassette/Tuner which cost $1100.00 plus Pioneer Amplifier (s/h $350.00) plus new 6 stacker CD, also in boot, at a cost of $550.00. So you can say, there is about $2000.00 worth of Audio stuff hanging around which I hardly ever use - the boss says she hates music in the car ! However, I love the looks and I would not change it for anything. Nowadays, if I want to listen to Music, I have a music system on my PC, a beautiful 5/1 Pioneer home entertainment CD unit in the house and that just about has me set in every direction. Unlike BenzBoy :)D), I also watch Television.

I think that if you have a really nice and desirable classic, it is fairly important to stay original. In your case, with your 230E, you should be free to chose whatever you like, including modern after market units. Regards Styria

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Hi Styria, that's a fair point. Especially as I always had a W123-type vehicle in mind as a daily driver, a little upgrade (with tasteful appearance) such as the audio system in the 230E is perfectly justifiable.

I am definitely thinking about the Blaupunkt direction...