Unique Grille

More threads by Michel

G

GreaseMonkey

I have an original owner's handbook for the 3 Litre MkII if you want it.
My experience with these may be slightly different to some, as my early driving years,
(I was 18 in '73) were in UK, and coincided with the decline and fall of the once mighty Brit car industry, and by the end of the '70s these cars were just about being given away.
The SD1 that followed could have been a great car, but poor build quality, weak front suspension design, underbraked, dodgy electrics and more let it down.
I still see the occasional P5 and P6 around here, still running, but have not seen a GOOD one for a long time.
And yes that motor is still a good one, used in a lot more applications and sizes since Rover - TVR - Morgan etc, but I beleive it was originally an Oldsmobile unit, but internal politics at GM passed it over to Buick, called the 215 for use in the Special from about 1963, the American market didn't go for it so they sold it to Rover in '67.
Their loss, and then in the '70s when they finally did need a smaller lighter motor they came up with the V6 which was nowhere near as good.
SeeYa,
Chris

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
And yes that motor is still a good one, used in a lot more applications and sizes since Rover - TVR - Morgan etc, but I beleive it was originally an Oldsmobile unit, but internal politics at GM passed it over to Buick, called the 215 for use in the Special from about 1963, the American market didn't go for it so they sold it to Rover in '67.
SeeYa, Chris

Oldsmobile was always the test mule for the GM brand..
Most of the 'new things' passed by them first, hence your theory about the engine being an Olds could be very possible.
I personnaly haven't heard of that one, but then again, I haven't researched it....;)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, I am pretty certain that you're correct as far as the Rover Engine is concewrned. It was always a Buick built unit and once Rover had obtained the rights and tooling for it, they changed the block to alloy with steel liners.

I have previously mentioned that my 3500S was probably the best bar none, and I have gug out a couple of photos, including two that were taken after the write-off.

scanningRoverpics.jpg

I modified the car to my liking by introducing the cream finish to the sill panels, plus the Webast sliding sunroof was also in cream to match the exterior of the car. It also had the Rover 5 speed manual box that gave 28 miles per 1000 rpm, it had a special, quite gnarly exhaust (all stainless steel), the Continental boot lid fitting and four 15" Rostyle wheels from the later P5B Saloons and Coupes.

In 1998, I entered both the Rover and my Gleaming Beauty in the Concours d'Elegance held at the Bull 'n Bush hotel at Baulkham Hills and managed to gain ist and 3rd outright for the overall on the day.

I went again next year, but by then the 'professional' trophy hunters "put their nose in the trough". Anyway, it was good whilst it lasted. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
The following scanned pictures not only shows my beautiful Roverthe day after the accident, but also a 220SE Convertible owned by a very proud Dutchman in Dural.

mercedes350SLRustandPaint003.jpg

The Rover was beyond saving, but the Insurer not only paid me well in excess of what even good examples were being assessed at, but I was also able to gain the salvage. Consequently, I still have all the mechanicals and complete interior to build up another example. This time in Sky Blue with dark blue vinyl Webasto Sunroof and absolutely beautiful cream upholstery.

The Mercedes pictured was an absolutely beautiful car, especially as far as the exterior colours and paint were concerned. Mechanically, not qujite so sound, but still very, very agreeable. It was an absolute stunner. Pity the car never got anywhere at Concourses - it was the wong colour ! I think he tried twice, but then put the car on the market at $50k.'s. Regards Styria

Last edited:
G

GreaseMonkey

There is probably a better parts supply for these now in the UK, I think they have gone down the road far enough, that most rotted away or were scrapped, that the survivors are now rare and valuable enough to have generated more interest.
There was even a business in London who used to sell the stylish front seats mounted on chrome tube frames as lounge chairs - not cheap too, I seem to remember.
On the subject of P6 Rovers, the one I would like to find (of course) is the super rare Crayford wagon conversion - yes, they did those too!
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk272/Rev-Head_photos/Other car stuff/RoverP6Crayford.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk272/Rev-Head_photos/Other car stuff/RoverP6Crayford2.jpg
Chris

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Yeah, have always been known to have as much tact as a sledgehammer ! :D

Regards Styria

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia