Ding in my grille

More threads by 300SDude

300SDude

I have this ding in my grille that was there when I bought the car. (And I replaced the missing hood ornament).

I am probably the only one that really notices it, but the grille is one of my favorite parts of the car. (You know it's a Mercedes when you see that grille).

Is there a way (if I take the grille off) that I could maybe pound out the ding? Or should I just look for another shell?

Thanks for any advice.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g400/300SDude/1003111055.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g400/300SDude/1003111054.jpg

300SDude

Tony66_au

Id suggest sourcing another and then working on the one you have.

I've found that mouldings can be a PITA to get right again.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I had just about an identical ding in the chrome grille surroung of my 6.9.

There are two ways to fix this: ( I have done both)

1). Replace the the grille frame.

2). Beat the ding out.

With the first alternative I found a replacement in a car junk yard. Cost me $50.

With the second alternative, place the grille frame on a hard rubber block and beat the dent out from the inside. I was a complete amateur at this, but the result was acceptable, and is only noticable when pointed out to an observer. small hammer marks can be observed if you look closely. The cost to me was nil.

Actually, I have three grille assemblies completely made up, with three plastic grille insert colours: a): colour matched to the body (blue), b): standard silver, and c): matt black.

The repaired grille frame now carries the blue body colour matched insert, and at the time of this post, is currently on the car.

Ten minutes work sees a complete grille assembly change. It is a bit like a lady choosing which dress she is going to wear before going out for an evening!

OP
300SDude

300SDude

LOL @ SEL_69L.

I have a friend on another forum that lives on the other side of the state from me that is going to look in his garage for a new shell. He bought a whole grille including hood ornament for $1 on eBay, so he replaced his.

I may get a different one and "play" with the dented one when I swap them. The inserts are perfect in mine, no missing or cracked pieces. I would like to re-install the horizontal bars that go across. All of mine are missing except the bottom row.

300SDude

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Like you said Dude, you're the only one who can see it, cos I can't ;)

OP
300SDude

300SDude

Like you said Dude, you're the only one who can see it, cos I can't ;)

In the 2nd photo, it is pretty close to, straight across from the top of the headlight.

300SDude

Oversize

Grand Master
I saw it but had to look real hard. I suspect it'd be easier to see in the metal than in a pic. Regardless of whether anyone else can see it, I'd replace it with a different one if it's annoying you. Otherwise it'll take the shine (!) off the driving experience.... :( Don't throw the old one out, as you might be able to improve its appearance with a gentle whack or 3! Oh and having a complete set of horizontal bars will really make a difference! :)

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Finally saw that.
I agree, it would annoy me as well

Get another one... they are cheap enough and they do come up often, ebay, CL...

on another note...

why don't you use the proper link for the picture from photobucket when you post. when you find the pic u want to post , click on the IMG code (last one) and that automatically copies it.

all you have to do is paste

1003111055.jpg

and Bingo.. you have a picture posted instead of a link :D

Last edited:
OP
300SDude

300SDude

Finally saw that.
I agree, it would annoy me as well

Get another one... they are cheap enough and they do come up often, ebay, CL...

on another note...

why don't you use the proper link for the picture from photobucket when you post. when you find the pic u want to post , click on the IMG code (last one) and that automatically copies it.

all you have to do is paste

1003111055.jpg

and Bingo.. you have a picture posted instead of a link :D

I usually do just put the picture link in forums, but it seemed that this one did not want to post the actual pictures, but a link, so I just put the direct link in.

Come to find-out, it is my browser. I HATE IE (Internet Explorer), so I use Firefox. For some reason, it does not want to show the actual pictures in here. I copied and pasted the address into IE and the pictures show-up just fine. I'll be sure to uses the IMG links for the benefit of everyone else. (I will still avoid IE like the plague, lol).

300SDude

Last edited:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
If you 'get another one', that usually means a complete grille assembly.

If you are going to build up a complete grille assembly, as I did, the removal of the alloy trim bars needs great care. Those little nylon alloy trim bar clips can easily break. You need to compress the inside ends of the nylon clips with a pair of long nose pliers, and push them through the holes made for them in the plastic insert. However, Styria tells me that new clips are available.

I went down this track so that I could paint the plastic insert: one in black, the other in colour coded blue.

In my case, I have a spare '6.9' boot trim badge, and that got cable tied to the grille insert. Looks rather classy.

OP
300SDude

300SDude

If you 'get another one', that usually means a complete grille assembly.

If you are going to build up a complete grille assembly, as I did, the removal of the alloy trim bars needs great care. Those little nylon alloy trim bar clips can easily break. You need to compress the inside ends of the nylon clips with a pair of long nose pliers, and push them through the holes made for them in the plastic insert. However, Styria tells me that new clips are available.

I went down this track so that I could paint the plastic insert: one in black, the other in colour coded blue.

In my case, I have a spare '6.9' boot trim badge, and that got cable tied to the grille insert. Looks rather classy.

All the bars except for the bottom row are missing off mine. I have seen some that you can purchase online, but I think they are stick-on, and I don't know how well that would work. I am sure they are chromed plastic and not real metal of any sort.

At least the crate on mine is in perfect condition. No cracks or breaks in it. Kind of amazing since it looks like whoever had it before, ran into something/someone that rode-up over the top of the bumper. There are some pretty deep gouges in the top of the front bumper. Guess it's a good thing those 3 foot, book shelf, US bumpers are good for something, lol.

300SDude

Styria

The Godfather
Hey Dude, as best as I know, the strip bars for the grille should still be available from Mercedes Benz, although I believe the centre spine has shot up in price considerably during last couple of years. The plastic clips (there are two sizes) can also still be bought from the Company.

Regarding Photobucket and its use, Michel's suggestion to use the IMG code is advisable - for instance, just have a look at the photos that I posted in the Valve Grind and De-Coke section. They are large, and clear, unlike your Grille photos where I really could not see the "Ding" you referred to. BTW, maybe your friend on "the other site :D" might like to join up with topklasse. If nothing else, we are a versatile bunch that appreciate enthusiasts of all cars, and of all Mercedes paraphernalia. Regards Styria

OP
300SDude

300SDude

I re-sized the grille pictures to 500 pixels for someplace else I was uploading them.

When I take them, they are like 2500 pixels. I like the clarity of them being that large, but I don't use that size anywhere. (Dragon, the person who creates the designs on our website uses the camera more often than I, so I don't change the settings for she takes big, close-up pictures to be able to see each bead in a beaded piece). I know I can change the settings.

I just use this forum in Internet Exploder and the pictures all work fine. I use Firefox as my main browser and for some reason, it does not like to show the pictures, just the links. I am not a fan of IE.

I just use photobucket as a quick tool. I actually have plenty of space that I can upload them to my server so that they have my domain as part of the picture address, but then the search engines pick it up and it really has nothing to do with our business, lol. (besides, we get PLENTY of business for the three of us to handle, lol).

If you notice, I just leave this forum open when the computer is on, for I am on here every couple of hours to at least check my emails, if not more often than that.

I enjoy the forum and reading stuff in here, so it's kind of my little break from work. And I am ALWAYS more than happy to talk about cars, lol.

Hope you are having a great day/night. :) (It's 11:30AM here).

300SDude

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Dragon, the person who creates the designs on our website uses the camera more often than I, she takes big, close-up pictures
300SDude

And 'her' name is Dragon? :eek:

OP
300SDude

300SDude

And 'her' name is Dragon? :eek:

LOL, yes, that is how she is known in the bead world. She doesn't like her real name online, so she always goes by Dragon. You'll notice our website is actually Beaded Patterns by Dragon

Actually, I live with my 2 best friends who happen to be female. (Don't know if you guys have seen it before, but there was a show in the 70's called "Three's Company" with John Ritter & Susan Summers........our situation is a lot like that). The girls and I will have lived together for 13 years in April.

300SDude

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
LOL, yes, that is how she is known in the bead world. She doesn't like her real name online, so she always goes by Dragon. You'll notice our website is actually Beaded Patterns by Dragon

Actually, I live with my 2 best friends who happen to be female. (Don't know if you guys have seen it before, but there was a show in the 70's called "Three's Company" with John Ritter & Susan Summers........our situation is a lot like that). The girls and I will have lived together for 13 years in April.

300SDude

That was one of my preferred shows!

Impressive record of almost 13 years.

Well, from what you write, she doesn't seem to behave like the 'dragon' lady :D

OP
300SDude

300SDude

Yes, it kind of amazes us as well that we get along so well. All three of us are Sagatarius, and our birthdays are all within a week of each other. Funny too that the three of us our the youngest siblings in our families as well. :p

I was in the moving and storage business (removalists) with my Dad for 14 years before I moved up here to Washington State from Southern california. Believe me, I never thought I would be in the bead world!

Here is some of her artwork that we do not display on our main site. She is talented in many facets of art. Art by Dragon

OK, this is probably getting off topic, lol.

300SDude

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Yes, it kind of amazes us as well that we get along so well. All three of us are Sagatarius, and our birthdays are all within a week of each other. Funny too that the three of us our the youngest siblings in our families as well. :p

I was in the moving and storage business (removalists) with my Dad for 14 years before I moved up here to Washington State from Southern california. Believe me, I never thought I would be in the bead world!

Here is some of her artwork that we do not display on our main site. She is talented in many facets of art. Art by Dragon

OK, this is probably getting off topic, lol.

300SDude

Nice website and nice story (Dragon's).

By the way, the specialty in this Forum is to go off topic. :D

The beauty is that no one harasses you about it :p