Unique Grille

More threads by Michel

Des

So they have removed the grille bars and the plastic insert and fitted the bottom out of a baking tray? Or is it tin foil?

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Looks like 'racing' mesh...:D

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, whichever way it goes, and whatever you're looking at, it would appear that this would not be a brilliant buy at the 'buy now' asking price. I would think that one would be better off buying an intrinsically sound 6.9, like my Astral Silver one with 12 months rego, replacement steering box and drag link, almost 90% rust free and a very, very, very nice interior. Regards Styria Oh, the price a most reasonable .....subject to private neg. .....

Des

Dear Styria

are you able to provide us with some pictures of your silver 6.9?

Kind Regards
Des

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi guys, whichever way it goes, and whatever you're looking at, it would appear that this would not be a brilliant buy at the 'buy now' asking price. I would think that one would be better off buying an intrinsically sound 6.9, like my Astral Silver one with 12 months rego, replacement steering box and drag link, almost 90% rust free and a very, very, very nice interior. Regards Styria Oh, the price a most reasonable .....subject to private neg. .....

Well, I'll be.............

Flabbergasted.....

The Astral Silver 6.9 is For Sale.... :eek:

Simply Flabbergasted

abl567

Super Moderator
Well, I'll be.............

Flabbergasted.....

The Astral Silver 6.9 is For Sale.... :eek:

Simply Flabbergasted

Go on Michel, ask what is replacing the 6.9 :eek:

Des

I thought the silver 6.9 was kind of on the market for a while now?

Unless it is a different car Styria and I were chatting about a Silver 6.9 for sale some time back.

Sounds like a good buy

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I thought the silver 6.9 was kind of on the market for a while now?

Unless it is a different car Styria and I were chatting about a Silver 6.9 for sale some time back.

Sounds like a good buy

It was always 'Julie's Car'.....:rolleyes:

G

GreaseMonkey

Like a real dill I checked out your link Des,
What a mug, I fell for it.
You go buy it,
and good luck.
And to all other forumsters, beware of Des's ebay finds,
meanwhile, any mention of a 6.9 on the market gets my attention.
Astral Silver too........
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Chris M.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Like a real dill I checked out your link Des,
What a mug, I fell for it.
You go buy it,
and good luck.
And to all other forumsters, beware of Des's ebay finds....

Chris M.

HUH???​

And what is wrong with a 3500V8 with manual trans? In fact, I looked at one today and it was in my favourite colour - dayglo orange. If only the sub-prime fiasco had not sent me into a tailspin. . .:eek:
Regards,
BenzBoy

G

GreaseMonkey

Or a $400 rot-box?
Sub prime saved you from a worse fate.
Chris

G

GreaseMonkey

I agree the Rover V8 is not a bad motor, and the original P6 Rover was a big leap forward for the UK industry in the '60s, but by the '70s the build quality was going downhill fast. Even if this had been a well engineered car in the first place, I doubt you could find a sound one today.
And if by some miracle there is one with RWC, it is certainly not fit to drive in any Mercedes shadow!
Sorry, a turkey will always be a turkey, even a dayglo orange one.
How about the Rover P5B Coupe?
Now there's a car.

Chris

Last edited:
OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I (briefly) owned a 3500.....

Loved it.... (for a month until I sold it)

Styria

The Godfather
Well, it's always interesting to hear comments about this, that, and the other and whilst some of it may be true, a lot of it comes from the unknowing and uninitiated. Now, I am not interested in picking a fight with anyone, I am not interested in rubbishing anyone's opinion (some of it may be based on facts as they know them) but I have had heaps of experience with both Mercedes ranging from 1959 - 190, 220 and 300 Finnies and 6.9's of course, and P4, P5 and P6 Rovers over the last forty years.

The car in question that was on ebay - two things that I could pick readily were the incorrect Steering Wheel for the Rover 3500S, and the fact that the handbrake on this car would have been either inoperative or, at least, marginal in its operating efficiency. Simply a case of a non-operating serrated adjustment wheel for the inboard caliper piston.

Rovers are not known for rust except the venerable P5B Coupe which unfortunately were manufactured by British Leyland, the purveyor of just about anything detrimental one could hang on the British car industry. Those Coupes can be rust buckets, but worse still, were poorly developed from a suspension point of view as no allowance was made in design and specification of the front torsion bars to account for the difference in weight between the six cylinder Mark 2a, b and c, and the Mark 3 and the much lighter all alloy V8 engine. As a consequence, front suspension ride was quite bouncy. That is why I much prefer the 6 cylinder Coupes, of which I still have 2 - both 4 speed manual with Lay#### overdrive. Magnificent cars. Restoration not quite complete at this stage.

The Rover V8 engine - extremely reliable, and simple to work on. I still have several rebuilt engines. Being essentially a Buick designed engine, with subsequent improvements applied by the Rover Company, parts are cheap and were readily attainable. At one stage, you could buy a set of Taiwanese piston assembly (all eight) for $A 200.00 - try that with Mercedes parts. In all my years of V8 involvement, I had one engine with a broken crank, one with a moving steel liner in the alloy block and several with worn rocker shaft assemblies, primarily on account of maintenance neglect - the engine oil should be changed frequently. I still own a 1974 3500S that will be retro fitted with en engine plus 5 speed manual box that used to be in the last 3500S that got written off some 5 years ago. It was just about the very best 3500S that you would have found anywhere.

If one has the knowledge, both the P5 and P6 models can be utterly reliable, even as everyday transport. Rust is not a problem - in fact, I have never, ever seen rust in any interior floor area - unlike our 116"s I have to say. In due course, I will scan some pics to illustrate the condition of the 3500S I used to have, plus some P5 pics. I think that's about all I will say at the moment, but I certainly have no qualms with any of my Rovers. Regards Styria