the great leap forward

More threads by sean sherry

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Definitely the last word Patrick...... Our Jatco CVTs Design parameters are negated if we use the Manual padel Shifts instead of Automatic. Prevents the transmission from holding the Engine at the optimum Revs for Torque and Fuel economy.
Using any Transmission to brake a Car ..... "Brakes are cheaper than Transmissions",,

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Anther very useful Site on YouTube... We have a very very small Market here. In LA and probably on the East Coast as well a speciality Company is set up to rebuilds CVTs complicated Valve Bodies. They are not for the faint hearted and beyond capacity of Dealerships and most Transmission shops.
Scored Bores? Hone out and fit a custom Oversize Valves etc...There are Kits available for years for conventional Transmissions, to Bore out and fit oversize Valves Duty Cycle valves wear out over Time.
Only in America !

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Just love your sense of Humour Brian....... Though there is an element of truth behind it.
In the Fifties Sydney was a wash with simple reliable American Cars . Large 6 cyl. side valve Engines which ran for ever, via a 3 speed Manual Gearbox. Many smooth V8 pre War Fords which had terrible Cable Brakes. Chrysler had Hydraulic Brakes by the late Twenties My 1929 De Soto Convertible 2 Door

Patrick_R

Grand Master
My 25 Chev had mechanical rod to external band type brakes to the back wheels only.
It was very “character building” to drive if they got in any way hot.
A mate of mine has a Pontiac Chieftain, V8 3 on the tree. Smooth as a babies bum.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
A very good friend of mine retired 2 years ago from city life and moved to Tamworth where he was able to buy a nice house and a large shed in which to keep his toys. His range of toys has grown given the avalable shed space but his criteria has remained the same; open the bonnet and of there is at least a foot of ground visible either side of the motor then consider buying it. The moral - simple is repairable without resorting to expensive and dedicated tools.
Regards,
Brian

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Country Towns now the way to go ..... With the Internet always in touch.
I would go there, probably Wollongong, a Daughter lives there with our younger Teen Age Grandchildren
Sydney is now getting impossible .. But Wifey is joined at the Hip to Sydney Uni.
An Academic.... always an Academic !!!

c107

and 111/116/124/126
My brother in law came to visit yesterday. He lives in Canberra and often had to travel for sydney for work. His employer prefers their staff not to drive their own cars when they are on the job, so he rents a car for these trips. He is not a car person and is normally quite satisfied with whatever he gets, often a small kia or hyundai SUV. He' drives a 6-8 year old corolla as his personal car.

This time he had a small Haval SUV. He just hated it. He spent half the time he was over telling us about what a terrible car it was and how he was going to write all these reviews on the rental company and how bad the drive back was going to be. A bit of a surprise as he's not really the complaining type and isn't very fussy about cars. Unlike me, he likes small SUVs.

He said the engine had no power, but the noise in the cabin was unbearable. I had a look and it said 1.5T on the engine cover, so I guess a 1.5 liter turbo. Not sure if it was a 3 cylinder or four cylinder. He wasn't very impressed with the interior either.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Probably the Haval Jolion or the now superseded H3.
Pretty poor figures for engine power, but I can’t see a tare weight.
I really don’t know why they offer small capacity petrol engines with bigger vehicles.
Really need to be diesel.
These are made by parent company Great Wall Motors.

Specs.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
My brother in law came to visit yesterday. He lives in Canberra and often had to travel for sydney for work. His employer prefers their staff not to drive their own cars when they are on the job, so he rents a car for these trips. He is not a car person and is normally quite satisfied with whatever he gets, often a small kia or hyundai SUV. He' drives a 6-8 year old corolla as his personal car.

This time he had a small Haval SUV. He just hated it. He spent half the time he was over telling us about what a terrible car it was and how he was going to write all these reviews on the rental company and how bad the drive back was going to be. A bit of a surprise as he's not really the complaining type and isn't very fussy about cars. Unlike me, he likes small SUVs.

He said the engine had no power, but the noise in the cabin was unbearable. I had a look and it said 1.5T on the engine cover, so I guess a 1.5 liter turbo. Not sure if it was a 3 cylinder or four cylinder. He wasn't very impressed with the interior either.
Just like the MGs, junk from China!

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
He should try a Mitsubishi.. Eclipse Ecross with a very responsive 1.5 Lt Turbo and 8 speed CVT.
Made in Japan.....now in it's second, much improved edition. Drives every bit as well as our excellent
C Class 1.8 Turbo. After 12 years still Drives as it was new. In S Mode a Sedan Sports Car !!