Great Saturday morning

More threads by 6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble
Sometimes a great drive just ... happens.

My 6.9 had been closed up all week with all the rain we've been having but finally this morning the sun broke through and, with all windows cracked, sun roof open and some good music on the Becker Mexico, I took off for a spin around Terrey Hills and Duffy's Forest in Sydney's north.

Past the Country Club and Gun Club, past some horse farms and then a straight stretch before the road runs out and she lept up to a (brief) 145km/h before I thought better of it... And there was still plenty more on tap - I'll have to find a good spot where I can (legally) see what she can do.

At one stage, I got out just to walk around the car, admire, listen (the motor was warmed up and purring smoothly at idle), while wondering how I could be so lucky to have this slice of unadulterated 70s MB heaven that will celebrate its 30th birthday in November.

It was the best car in the world then, and in many ways it still is.

Fantastic.:)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi David - and that's just the start of it all. I recall a trip of mine when I was going to take part in an event in Orange, about a three hour drive from Sydney. Some smart friend of mine suggested that I take the Freeway to Goulburn and then cut across country up to Orange. I fell for the 'two bob' card trick hook, line and sinker even though up to the time of his demise (in respectful memory !) he denied ever having suggested it to me.

Anyway, the three hour drive turned into six hours as I had to go past Yass to turn off to Cowra etc. etc. By halfway, I needed to get to Orange in a hurry, and on some well made (in sections) and some challenging country roads with plenty of undulations, and good long left and right handers, my 'Gleaming Beauty' sat on between 130 and 150 most of the time, with absolutely no effort whatsoever..and you know the good part ? When I pulled up at the service station, that engine just purred as if it had just been started. It was quite amazing and an absolutly great drive and, to top it off, fuel consumption worked out to 12.8 litres to the hundred kilometers. To put it simply, I was stoked. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You lucky guys....:mad:

I'm so jealous.... :eek:

And to think I was watching real horses galloping around a race track instead of harnessing a few on some back road.... :eek:

Some people have all the luck... :D