the great leap forward

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
The more I see in YouTube explaining The Electric Cars and their Batterie Controls .. CVTS, etc the more I sympathise with the Blacksmiths who were confronted with their first Horseless Carriages. Their first Tow Trucks..... a Clydesdale with a long Rope. The series by Prof. Kelly is the most informative. Has to be taken in small doses to absorb...Especially the Electronics.
I cannot see local Dealers involved in repairs .... probably akin to BMW's exchange system for their Automatic Transmissions

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Sealed for Life Transmissions Now that does that mean.... Manufactures figure that the original purchaser of their Car will be gone when the 5 year Warranty is up. Not interested in the second owner.
Transmission fails on second owner......... we will sell him a replacement one...

Manufactures and their Agents are in the business of selling Cars.... not Repairing them.
Wriggle out of Warranty Claims as much as they can. ......Shoot the messenger ....

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
So nobody takes notice of my Posts about our daily Drivers ... That is fine by me.
one last time ......YouTube from a local Aussie thinker and mechanic.....
Electric Cars will be greatly hindered from the severe shortage of Battery manufacturing Materials..
And expensive..... Albanese appeasing the Greens ......
Transmission Oil has a service life of about 60,000 Ks.... after that save your Pennies .... a lot of them.
Heat, as with Electronics, are the biggest enemy.
Recommends the Device which plugs into the OBD 11 Port to record what is going on Tempt. wise Etc
My own Family are in the same league ..the sales manager says that it is sealed for Life !!!

abl567

Super Moderator
I read them as well but am in the same boat as Bryce. Although we have a 2010 model it's a hilux, old tech and fully serviceable.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Brian, they learned their Lesson, when they we pressured to adopt "Sealed for Life" and were rewarded with many Transmission Claims in Germany.
And Brice, how safe is your Family in todays Traffic..... driving such old Cars ??
I am amazed at the difference of Safety technology between my Wife's 2010 C Class and my new Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross . Not that the C Class is unsafe with 7 Air Bags and structural integrity.
The Mitsubishi has forward collision Warning, with Autonomous Braking Speed, control setting keeping a Safe distance to vehicle in front. I had a nose to Tail write off not paying 100 % attention.
Momentarily taking my eyes off the Road. !!!!!
And how safe is an old Ute without crumple Zones .. a Ladder Chassis no absorption .....
No gents, I intend Living until I Die !!!

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Safety ... As I pass through my 88th year my medical advice is .... "DON'T FALL".....Anything broken will never heal...A bad Car accident probably a Death Sentence.....in spite of all the modern safety items. Head on with one of Patrick's Volvo Trucks , nothing will save you....
But.. But, I had right of way, says he, from the Autopsy Marble Slab ... Might is Right...

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I read and digest the information in your posts fully Sean.
Anyone I am sure, who adds a “like” reads your posts.

Sean,
Don’t take running head on into a later (2011 onwards) Volvo truck, or any truck over 12 tonne GVM (which is a truck including payload is over 12 tonne weight all up) as these all have what is called a Front Underrun Protection System or FUPS.
This is a strategically positioned super heavy duty bar or bars that do two things.
As the name implies, it stops the vehicle hitting head on from running “under” the taller vehicle, and it also ensures that the cars emergency passive SRS (supplemental restraint system) airbags, seat belt pre tensions and crumple zones then become active, all act the way they should as if hitting a wall, or another vehicle of similar height.
We now also have SUPS (side underrun protection system) and RUPS (rear underrun protection systems).
Bars like this hide behind the front facade of all of the above mentioned trucks for car protection
18518763-A490-4766-AE37-ACBCB491A796.jpeg

Some bullbar manufactureres, can remove these bars, or add to them and/or replace them with their own (approved) bullbars that are also FUPS rated.
That’s why you now see truck fronts, and bullbars hang quite low to the road.
D97A2347-55C1-4C28-A506-57EADBD0C1D5.jpeg

79554720-A6F8-4D5B-842F-595D72D6660B.jpeg

D640CAA4-3F16-4ABE-8F3E-A59F046E727B.jpeg

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Thanks for that Patrick ..I guess it all boils down to driving the latest safety Vehicles or at least those Cars with 5 star Ratings...... Avoid head-ones with old Trucks !!

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
For the Engineers ...and not for Cheque Book Mechanics......
Seek and ye shall find.... YouTube. a very detailed tear down and guidance to correct the failings of the Jatco CVT's By an experienced Transmission Technician. For the record, dirt scoring the Main Oil Pump causing a loss of Pressure reducing the clamping pressure on the veritable pulleys
.. Belt slip. and possible failure of the Belt and the Pulleys.. Change the Oil at 50,000Ks !!!!!!
Correction Kits available from USA to save the Pump...Re- bore the Body and fit an oversize Piston.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
For Patrick...Volvo bought DAF Cars ..right ?.. So what happened to DAF's so called Rubber Band CVT.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Great advice Sean.

This constant issue of crap in the pan, I wonder if driving style, contributes more or less to this, or is it simply a byproduct of the mechanical workings of this type of transmission regardless of driving style IE being very throttle heavy or not. 🤔

I’m not a fan of the AMT (Automated Manual Transmission) in cars, however in trucks it’s a massive success and a real game changer.
In our line of trucks, the transmission is the full heart, soul and brains behind the whole operation.
It 100% controls power and torque delivery, based on the below mentioned parameters, and throttle request from the driver.
It’s grade sensing, load sensing and GPS controlled for topography, which every newer Volvo truck contributes to the cloud data base for other Volvo trucks to use.
It protects the clutch (they run a standard, but computer operated clutch) from abuse by the driver, so even this last bastion of wear is looked after.

The latest for us is a dual clutch AMT, but I’m pretty sure there will be no CVT in trucks, as the workings are not super heavy duty as they need to be for heavy haulage.

Sean,
Volvo sold the car businesses to Ford in 1999, then Ford sold it to Geely in China in 2010, so being only associated with Volvo trucks, I’m not sure about this, but I’m always up for a read about anything you mention here Sean 😊

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Again Patrick you are worth more Money !!! The DAF brand now lost in the mists of Time..
CVTs are only capable of accepting limited Torque probably up to 2.5 Litres depending on Engine.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I understand the Jatco CVT issue was largely confined to America and the lack of maintenance.....
Oil Change at 50,000 Miles.... plus a lack of Mechanical sympathy.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I have one in my company car X Trail.
This latest version of X Trail transmission is certainly better than the first model I had 3 years ago.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
As a Nissan Patrick, it will be Jatco ( 8 speed) ? My 2022 Mitsubishi a revelation, a redesigned Jatco to address Cooling and Belt Pully issues. Belt Pulleys now have solid guides instead of hardened Balls in the slots. Fresh clean Oil "Lead a Horse to Water but cannot make it Drink" !

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Last word...... Clamping force for Steel Drive Belt is 900 to 1000PSI
Fresh "special" oil to with stand these pressures.... dependant on the Oil Pump and the Control Valve.
This is the key to a long life.... Ditto any Auto Trans within their own Maintence Specs ...