starter solenoid wire

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
I have a nifty remote starter switch to aid adjusting the Tappets on my 110 engine in my '80 280 SL 107. But where is the junction box wireing under the bonnet ? also are the stater bolts Alan heads ? if so, what size ? As I don't see a rear pump in the Auto 4 speed the car can't be push started if the starter fails miles from home. And nobody will have an Alan socket to fit. I want to carry one and hopefuly never need it ! thanks Sean

Tony66_au

Hex bits are common enough these days and a good kit can be bought for around $60 for a 3/8 drive kit.

Worth having if you own a Euro car.

Oversize

Grand Master
I think you'll find the starter bolts are regular hex around 17mm. Most MB trans of that era did have rear pumps, but I'm not sure if you could ever push start one. It's been a very long time and I'm not sure if I was ever given the answer; what was the purpose of the rear pump?? I know it's good if you ever have to tow the car with a rope as the trans won't run hot (or dry)... But these days you're far better off towing a car on a flat-top.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Not sure about the 3/8 drive, if the starter bolts are anything like the steering wheel centre bolt a half inch drive is struggling with a piece of pipe on the end of a T Bar ! Is a dedacated flex socket required ?
On older Autos the smaller rear trans pumps took over from the front pump as the speed built up . This cut out the drag on the engine from a large front pump. A bonus was the car could be tow started , with caution ! With the modren vane type pumps and more sifiscatated valving the regulator just dumps excess oil pressure. Costs less too. Sean

Ps any location to operate the starter from under the bonnet to click the engine over to adjust the tappets. ? ?

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Thanks for the help , have found an open junction block down the front of the battery. Right side terminal operates the starter. If the ign switch fails I can start the car from there. Probably also the ign. via the coil ? ? Sean

Helmet

Connoisseur
Thanks for the help , have found an open junction block down the front of the battery. Right side terminal operates the starter. If the ign switch fails I can start the car from there. Probably also the ign. via the coil ? ? Sean

That's it, all you need is a wire :D