Spy Photos: The "baby" Rolls-royce

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Prototypes of the so-called "Baby Rolls" are busy testing, wearing much less camouflage than ever before, according to spy shooter Brenda Priddy.
The new and slightly less formal Rolls-Royce will likely ride on BMW’s long-wheelbase 7 Series platform, and pricing will start in the low US$300,000 range.
Production is now expected to begin in 2010, with an annual run of 800 vehicles.
Although that sounds low, Priddy says this should double Rolls-Royce’s annual sales.
Rolls_web01_issue_87_Original.jpg
Rolls_web02_issue_87_Original.jpg

Des

Well that is just going to ruin Rolls Royce, it's the thin end of the wedge

So its going to be a 7 series in a pretty body? To be honest not even that pretty, Grille looks like something half finished from Bentley.

Will that include the 50 million billion buttons you find in every new BMW?
God they will probably put that Idrive system in it.

Like they were doing a few years ago with the Jaguars, swap the badges off and re label them a Aston Martin, or was it the other way around?

The point is the Germans are just going to ruin Rolls Royce.

Rolls Royce are more than technology, gadgets, they are proper luxury, they deliver the best ride in the world, the feeling of refinement, something special.

:mad:

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well that is just going to ruin Rolls Royce, it's the thin end of the wedge
So its going to be a 7 series in a pretty body? To be honest not even that pretty, Grille looks like something half finished from Bentley.
Will that include the 50 million billion buttons you find in every new BMW?
God they will probably put that Idrive system in it.
Like they were doing a few years ago with the Jaguars, swap the badges off and re label them a Aston Martin, or was it the other way around?
The point is the Germans are just going to ruin Rolls Royce.
Rolls Royce are more than technology, gadgets, they are proper luxury, they deliver the best ride in the world, the feeling of refinement, something special.
:mad:

Welcome back Des.....
I (we all) missed you...:D

I agree with what you wrote.... wholeheartedly...

BenzBoy

Grand Master
And I have also heard that it will not be a BMW at all but a stand alone R-R. I guess time will tell. One of the issues is that R-R Cars Pty. Ltd. lease their factory grounds at Goodwood and one of the conditions of the lease is that while assembly is permitted, no manufacturing may take place on the site. Rather a limiting clause for a car maker. As you know, VW bought the heritage when they bought the package (including all the early R-Rs that were owned by Crewe) and BMW simply licences the name from R-R Holdings Ltd. who are the direct descendants of the old R-R Pty. Ltd. Complex? Not really. The company that makes the aerospace and marine engines holds all the licences and sold the licence to label a car R-R to BMW when the preferred buyer was M-B.....
My sources indicate it may well look like this; eat yr heart out Brenda.
NEWR-R.png
Regards,
BenzBoy

Last edited:

Martin280s

What ever it looks like it won't have the class nor build of the older 'hand-built' cars.

New cars are full of creature comforts but lack what the older ones have...style.

Has anyone read the thread I posted about the test-drive?

BenzBoy

Grand Master
What ever it looks like it won't have the class nor build of the older 'hand-built' cars.

New cars are full of creature comforts but lack what the older ones have...style.

Has anyone read the thread I posted about the test-drive?

Yes I read it Martin but then you are preaching to the converted when you talk to me on such matters....I mean, I am going motoring in the Phantom tomorrow. :eek::eek::eek: I believe Monsieur Michel is taking the Boeing instead. :D
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Yes I read it Martin but then you are preaching to the converted when you talk to me on such matters....I mean, I am going motoring in the Phantom tomorrow. :eek::eek::eek: I believe Monsieur Michel is taking the Boeing instead. :D
Regards,
BenzBoy

BenzBoy dear BenzBoy,:(

I assure you I would rather be in the Phantom II tomorrow rather than the British Airways 747.:eek:
However, if it is any consolation, I will be flying courtesy of Roll Royce Turbines :D

Martin280s

Regards,
BenzBoy

I think we've all been converted! Isn't that why we all have older cars? :confused::)

G

GreaseMonkey

I do wonder though if the bean-counters know what they are doing when they buy a 'Brand' and then just use the name to push bean-counter cars with a once prestigious name.
R-R stood for one thing only, unique, no expense spared, hand built quality that gave no concession to passing fashion.
If it does not fit that description, then it is not a Rolls.
What you will get instead, is a refined, tarted up, silenced and blinged Beemer with more useless, redundant, not wanted, not needed gadgets than any other car, to justify it's price to all the new Russian and Chinese buyers who just want to buy the badge and would not know any different.
Call me cynical if you like, but I have been around the motor game a long time, and I know what R-R meant once.
Regards,
Chris

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I do wonder though if the bean-counters know what they are doing when they buy a 'Brand' and then just use the name to push bean-counter cars with a once prestigious name.
R-R stood for one thing only, unique, no expense spared, hand built quality that gave no concession to passing fashion.
If it does not fit that description, then it is not a Rolls.
What you will get instead, is a refined, tarted up, silenced and blinged Beemer with more useless, redundant, not wanted, not needed gadgets than any other car, to justify it's price to all the new Russian and Chinese buyers who just want to buy the badge and would not know any different.
Call me cynical if you like, but I have been around the motor game a long time, and I know what R-R meant once.
Regards,
Chris

Having spent some time with a Goodwood Phantom I am not as sure that I would agree as once I might have...I am starting to see the GP as a true successor to the earlier Ps.
Having spent the day pulling apart the Derby Phantom looking for elusive numbers written in chalk by an engineer at J Gurney Nutting some 75 years ago I am sure that the quality of work in 1933 was totally phenomonal. The wood frame has lasted 75 years in outstanding order and I marvel at the precision of the mechanical parts...even the Lucas wipers...
Regards,
BenzBoy