Mallala come and try photos.

More threads by Bandolero

s class

Thanks for confessing about the smoke - I was too polite to ask. Looks like it was a barrel of fun though.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi S-Class - 'Bandy' would have loved it as he is that sort of a guy. Plus, who cares about a bit of blue smoke as it is all in the name of good fun.

Bandy - thanks for sharing those photos. Tell me - how did you find your 6.9 as far as handling was concerned ? Did you ever feel that perhaps the back end wanted to step out ? I have reason to believe that struts that have additional pressure put on them during hard cornering, will in fact 'load up' and provide 'anti-roll' assistane.

It's not the sort of thing to try on public roads, but once or twice, when I took part in a 'spirited' outing with the Ferrari Club, I seemed to experience that sensation where the car seemed to say ' see, it does work, doesn't it' ? It was quite eerie - like someone shaking a hip.

Anyway, how did Andreas' car go - did you guys have a timing chart ? BTW, give him my regards next time you speak to him.

Regards Styria

OP
B

Bandolero

The rear never stepped out as it tended to understeer a bit.

The 7" tyres prevented any wheelspin out of the corners, even though I "buried" the foot out of the corners changing it down to first gear.
I left the selector in second all the way round the track and kicked down to first out of the corners.

Down the back straight, (which is NOT straight but has a curve and a kink halfway), I wound it up to 140km plus. I didn't go any faster as it tended to do a four wheel drift as I only had crappy Maxxis tyres made in China.
Also, the organisers didn't want us to go too beserk. YEAH, RIGHT!!!!!

I don't think the 6.9 leaned as much as Craigs 280 on the corners as I agree that the spheres act like variable ratio springs. (The more you load it on the corners, the more the spheres try to level it.)

On the way home I noticed that the motor was more responsive off the line at the traffic lights.
Also over the last 6 months or so the suspension light would come on after a day and the suspension would drop slightly.
NOW, after 4 days the light hasn't come on and it hasn't dropped at all.
This proves that these cars need a damn good hiding once in a while.

Andreas' car went well too, but he saw that I was a bigger hoon than him so he let me pass. His car ran out of brakes after the second run as he boiled the fluid. When it cooled down he had brakes again and was able to drive home ok.

There was no timing done so we don't know what the times were. (Bugger it!)

Last edited:

SELfor50

Great pics Mate!!! Geez, there's some lean isn't there?

What was the max speed you got up to? was it 140?

What was craigs' max speed??

Always gonna get valve stem seal smoke with a car this old... mine puffs like the magic dragon. :D

...nothing beats a good italian tune up though! ;)

oscar

"Variable ratio springs" I saw some whilst looking up bilstein the other day. Would love an upgrade to a set of coil overs that were adjustable and variable and whatever else.

The brakes is an interesting one. I assumed fluid was fluid and non compressable so any fluid (non corrosive to brake lines and seals of course) would be suitable. I never thought the heat generated from the discs and pads could transfer that much to the fluid causing it to become a gas. It makes sense now, but I never thought about it occuringem. I'll revisit that before I get on the track.

OP
B

Bandolero

Yes, I only got to just over 140Kms/hr as it started to move sideways a little.
The back straight is not all that long and is not straight anyway.

Yes, you definately need to use "Dot4" brake fluid or better, otherwise the fluid could boil.

Not sure what Craig's top speed was, I forgot to ask him. :eek: