Speed Cameras

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
This article answers a number of pertinent aspects relating to these Revenue raising cameras. It's particularly annoying when you get caught by the so called "Safety Cameras" - you know, the ones that ping you for speed and running red lights. I copped one the other day - 70 km/h in a 60 zone - twice now over the last eighteen months. Parramatta Road and Sloane Street, Haberfield - $109.00 sweetener and one point. Why, even yesterday, I managed to avoid one of those where the Panel Van is parked on the nature strip - down hill on Windsor Road towards Parramatta. I saw him just after I had passed him - luckily enough (I hope) I was doing just a little over 60.

You just don't stand a chance. Regards Styria

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/the-truth-about-speed-cameras-20140903-10awi1.html

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I just renewed my licence and qualified for a 50% reduction in the cost because I have not lost any points in the past x years. I put it down to sheer good luck and the fact that I always use the speed limiter in the ML or the CLK.
In the Spirit I was pulled up by the Police and I wondered what was the problem until the officer advised me that the boot lid was not completely closed and would I like him to help. EEEEEEEEEEK!
I put my run so far down to pure luck and nothing more....:cool:
Of course it could be that I am getting slower as I age...:eek:
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
The cameras are triggered at 7kmh over the posted limit & there's a 3kmh error margin on fixed units. So you were probably doing 73 in a 60.

Look further than the end of your bonnet and read the signs. Don't speed and you won't have to donate to an unworthy cause!

If you don't like the limit then start writing letters...

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I use a rule these days when approaching an intersection with lights on a major road (Parramatta, Canterbury, Victoria, etc...):
I slow down and look out for signs advising me of a speed/safety cam (they are mandatory in NSW).

I also look out for pickups or vans parked on the footpath with two signs (one a 100metres before and the other a 100metres after) telling me there is a speed camera.

If you miss these, you pay for it.

sean sherry

Master
There are times when I'm glad to see a Police Car monetoring speed. Like today, when crossing the Iron Cove Bridge on Victoria Rd. A Small Hatch flashed past travelling probably at least 30 Ks above the 60 speed limit. Police at the end of the Bridge (City Side ) quickly pulled the idiot over . A danger to him/her self as well as to others. I have had a chat with Highway Patrol Officers a couple of times and find they tend to use their discretion, for example , up to 120Ks on a 100K motorway as long as Drivers are behaving themselves. They to are not fans of Cameras , especially in Victoria. Poker Machines they call them !