Skid Pan Day - Pics

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

Had a skid pan day today. Got some extremely usefull tips / pointers of the instructor for the day. Was very worthwhile.

Rollcall:
  • Skyline - R32 GTS-T
  • Holden VN Clubsport - 5.0L v8 Turbo (306kw/wheels)
  • Toyota Sprinter
  • Mazda Capella
  • VZ SSV Ute
  • VX Clubsport
  • VL Turbo
  • Datsun 1600 [FJ20 Turbo]
  • Mazda RX-7 [Series 3..i think]
  • 1978 Mercedes 450 SEL

Casualty Ward:
  • Datsun 1600 (Apparent timing chain disaster - KIA)
  • Holden VN Clubsport (massive overheat, boiling fluids everywhere - should recover)
  • Mazda RX-7 (rattly as all buggery and coughing really bad - running like a dog, needs to see a doctor)
  • Mazda Capella ('lack-o-rubber-matosis' - needs a rubber transplant)

I'm sure I don't need to say how reliable ol' silver was for the day. ;)
She was stuck between 4-7k on the tacho for 10-15mins at a time each run.
Luuuuurrrrrvvvved it. :cool:

Here's some pics of the beast out there....boating it up. (still haven't put my new shocks / suspension in)

More pics of the other cars that attended to follow.

Picture173.jpg

Picture099.jpg

Picture100.jpg

Picture109.jpg

Picture198.jpg

Picture209.jpg

If anyone from sydney is interested in a day on the skid pan, anyone can book it for 5hours..with 10 people works out bout $100 pp. Worth every cent.

oscar

Do I spot a roof mounted drift cam Cam? :cool:

I've never done it yet but would love to get some instruction by pros for racing, drifting, reverse 180's, flat spin recovery:rolleyes: the works. I'd rather get to know the car's limits in a controlled environment first rather than finding out the hardway.

A mate of mine in Sydney said the most valuable lesson he learnt from one of these days was to keep his head up and look straight out the window towards the direction he wanted to go. Apparently a common mistake for people getting sideways is that they either look down or look at the ditch the cars facing and ultimately land in the ditch. I haven't been sideways enough to find out what my faults are but I'd love to find out. The other thing he said was, don't take a FWD car LOL.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Do I spot a roof mounted drift cam Cam? :cool:

I've never done it yet but would love to get some instruction by pros for racing, drifting, reverse 180's, flat spin recovery:rolleyes: the works. I'd rather get to know the car's limits in a controlled environment first rather than finding out the hardway.

A mate of mine in Sydney said the most valuable lesson he learnt from one of these days was to keep his head up and look straight out the window towards the direction he wanted to go. Apparently a common mistake for people getting sideways is that they either look down or look at the ditch the cars facing and ultimately land in the ditch. I haven't been sideways enough to find out what my faults are but I'd love to find out. The other thing he said was, don't take a FWD car LOL.

Well... a wet skid pan is 'controlled' but is still a million times different to dry track etc. But definitely an experience that i feel enhanced my abilities behind the wheel.

The camera is this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GoPro-MotorSports-video-Camera-go-kart-atv-car-racing_W0QQitemZ320255825987QQihZ011QQcategoryZ11724QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122
Mate bought it along today.. Apparently it works bloody good - haven't seen the footage yet, but as soon as I see it, it'll be on-line.

..speaking of which, I gotta hassle my mate about the winton videos - he's still putting them to DVD for me.

Des

mate that looks like a lot of fun,

with the added bonus you don't have to worry about pedestrians getting in the way.

You know what would be even better? doing this on a huge ice skating ring?

:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Where was the venue Cam?
Oran Park?

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

The back left corner was pretty much an ice skating rink!! It was classic, you'd sit there in 3rd gear doing 180km's and going nowhere... hahahaa.. :D :D :D
Definately the hardest corner to master.

Nup, it was at the Fairbairn driver training centre. Right next door to the hillclimb track in canberra. (there was a hillclimb today but I opted for smoke instead of speed)

Great day though..

abl567

Super Moderator
I'll bring the 6.3 :cool:

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

A 6.9 out there would be f*kn awesome... would be interesting to feel the air suspension too.

6.3, i'd enjoy seeing that too!! :cool:

I had the single spinner - I reckon an LSD would've assisted in helping drive through the corners.. A 6.9 would definately be a goer at a skid pan day though!!!! :D

SHORT VIDEO HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fajW5UNu5FI

More footage to come from the roof camera.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
with a single spinner you'd be churning rubber on one side without be able to 'drift' through corners..

An LSD is definitely the go....

BenzBoy

Grand Master
That would make for a good day out - all we need is a Minister for Outings to organise it....:D
I did it ages ago with Audi and the results were awesome - even if I had turned green by the time I was finished...:p
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

with a single spinner you'd be churning rubber on one side without be able to 'drift' through corners..

An LSD is definitely the go....

I just posted a response on the page before, so thought i'd bump this link to the new page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fajW5UNu5FI

I got a single spinner, still managed to drift a little.. :rolleyes:

Sounds good benzboy!! I reckon we vote in a minister for outings and round up 8-10 cars for a day. It'd be great seeing a whole afternoon of superior engineering being drifted! :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I just posted a response on the page before, so thought i'd bump this link to the new page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fajW5UNu5FI

I got a single spinner, still managed to drift a little.. :rolleyes:

Sounds good benzboy!! I reckon we vote in a minister for outings and round up 8-10 cars for a day. It'd be great seeing a whole afternoon of superior engineering being drifted! :D

You looked like you were having a ball.... :D

mathew

Great pic's guy's I can so see my 420SEL wanting a go at this hmmm I'm getting an idea for a weekend of fun .

Cheers Mat

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

I can't find a smilie with a little pinky sticking up. :rolleyes:

Funny you should mention that... a couple months ago a fella in a relatively new SL55 (here in canberrra) pulled up next to me at the lights... I slapped the 450 in 1st and gave it a bit of a squirt trying to entice him. :)

When we pulled up at the next set of lights i looked across to the driver who had wound his window down and was giving me his pinky finger (just like the ad!) I laughed and responded by telling him that by the looks of it, he was the one with the small d!ck. Considering he'd spent well over $100K!!! On a vehicle with a sh!t tin of horsies under the hood and was still driving miss daisy. He said to me: "It's not that type of car..." :rolleyes:

Classic....just like a 1978 W116. :D

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Yeah count me in for a weekend of highly productive and intelligent "fun". You could make it thoroughly entertaining by allowing the vehicles to career aimlessly off the track into solid and unforgiving poles, or better still do it alongside a cliff edge so the cars can all "go sailing right out there" into oblivion for something I never saw on YouTube before and could REALLY appreciate. :D

You're gonna have to be a bit clearer... are you being :rolleyes:, i'm :confused:

I am :eek: that you don't think that drifting is :D or maybe you do think drifting is :D and you weren't being :rolleyes: at all... in which case that would be super :cool:

....of course if you were being :rolleyes:, then maybe take a look at the WRC in which drifting is :D and one of the most :cool: skillfull types of driving there is.

It's not about hooning, it's all about control. It actually separates the hoons from the drivers...just like fast lap times on any circuit world-wide.

:)

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Not big on that kinda thing, but that's not to say I don't partake of other frivolous activities from time to time. :p

How fast does your Hitler mobile go?? 10, maybe 12 mph? :D

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

That's about the level of intelligence one might have expected from you I guess.

:)

Nothing I have said actually indicates my level of intelligence...not gonna get in a debate about that one. ;)

You seem like a smart bloke beanie... :rolleyes:

Styria

The Godfather
It is most unfortunate that matters got a little out of hand and of a somewhat personal nature that served no particular purpose and was more than likely going to offend one party or another somewhere along the line.

From past experience, it is the absolute aim of the Administrative team to maintain and foster a harmonious relationship between all members of 'topklasse'. If the moderator feels that perhaps a post should be amended or withdrawn, that approach is made to the poster direct as a matter of courtesy. In this instance, that approach was not well received and the member decided to withdraw all posts that he had submitted.

A pity - I felt that he had so much to give and I had really looked forward to his active involvement with 'topklasse'. Regards Styria