Service Items

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Having searched the Net I have at last found a Detail of the Various items for my $300 Oli Change Service... Apart for New Engine Oil and a Filter the rest is padding on a new Car. And so on for the Five year Warranty with 100,000Ks .. The five year warrant is offered because the Manufacturer does not expect any issues during this time period. Plus the extra Five years offered also says that the Car is built to last. The second Five Years are conditional on Dealer Servicing...
I will attend to the first five year servicing myself, via a Licenced Mechanic .. The Law says the Warranty must be honoured.
The second five years ? I'll be in a Pine Box at 92 !!!

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
The "Car Wizard" program...... says that a Mercedes will last a life time if properly looked after. Except the Front Wheel Drive Models ...and may be some of later models.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
YouTube Brian....... Many programs made.... one Man's opinion... but he is at the Coal Face running his own Shop.
Last Night a segment on the Trials of running a Workshop today. A real Ball Breaker of a customer, who, after agreeing on a repair could not find the Money...Mechanic bent over backwards to help the Customer .. all he got was more and more aggravation Eventually had to get a Court order to sell the car to get Paid... Who needs this ? I had similar issues a few times, after buying and paying for Parts and Labour owner does not want to Pay !

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
The current Car Wizard Posts seem to be a lot of padding...... I skip through most of it.
Others on Foxtel remind me that nobody has a monopoly of Brains.. One program ruined a perfectly good MGA and another did not know how to Drain a Torque Converter which did not have a Drain Plug.. All done to Death...
The World is a wash with Books ( Not to mention Debt)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
More YouTube an interesting look at Engine Oil Colour/Contamination at 5Ks... 10Ks and 20 Ks At 20 Ks the oil was like mud did not flow well. at 10 Ks, dark and in need of Change with a Filter. 5 Ks discoloured and a bit slow to flow compared to fresh Oil.
My thoughts from our short Runs Cars ..... New Oil at 5Ks and again at 10ks with a Filter. ????
Both Cars are Turbo Petrol's ..8Ks and 80Ks A Mitsubishi and a C Class Merc 200 2010 Y.M.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
The current Car Wizard Posts seem to be a lot of padding...... I skip through most of it.
Others on Foxtel remind me that nobody has a monopoly of Brains.. One program ruined a perfectly good MGA and another did not know how to Drain a Torque Converter which did not have a Drain Plug.. All done to Death...
The World is a wash with Books ( Not to mention Debt)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
"Aisin AWF8F35" I have found that this CVT Transmission is the World's first 8 Speed Transverse Unit
Fitted to my Eclipse Cross SUV....I did not know it was an 8 Speed until I use the Paddle shifters !!! Even though Nissan own 30 plus Percent of Mitsubishi They didn't use the Jatco Units which gave so much trouble in the Nissans. I have read that abuse .. neglect will create the same problems as any Automatic .
Change the Oil and Filter at 50/75 Ks...Just check the Colour and the "sniff" test.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I read that EV Batteries need a lot of Coal Generated energy to produce. Who needs a heavy, giant, 500ks Battery to drive to work each Day.
Best advice I read, is to buy a Toyota Hybrid....A Prius in a Cab lasts for 800,000 Ks...before Battery replacement. Not $50,000 for an EV one, but $2000 new..... Cheaper than a new ICE ????
P.S stay away from so called Rebuilt Hybrid Batteries They are mostly the original single Batteries ..faulty ones replaced from scrapped Batteries which till have some operating Single Batterie How long will they last ? How long is a piece of string. !!
Used car outlets will use them claiming that the Car has had the Battery replaced ..........

BenzBoy

Grand Master
One point missing from this discussion of service items is that by having dealer service you also get the latest software downloads and bug fixes that are not available from an independent. Yes, an independent can clear an error code but is not able to download software updates that reflect the latest developments based on field reports. Many of these updates are essential.
It is something to consider.
Regards,
Brian

c107

and 111/116/124/126
One point missing from this discussion of service items is that by having dealer service you also get the latest software downloads and bug fixes that are not available from an independent. Yes, an independent can clear an error code but is not able to download software updates that reflect the latest developments based on field reports. Many of these updates are essential.
It is something to consider.
Regards,
Brian
Its probably quite important.

Modern cars are basically computers. I work in the computer software industry and updates are important to the good functioning of whatever product you have.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Point Taken Gentlemen. I will use their Mobile Service Man..... This way i can actually speak to the Mechanic . Driving to the Dealer and then back again can be a pain...Also the contact there will only be the Service Adviser ( Sales adviser ! )
With a first Service the heavy Workshop Equipment would probably not be required.......A Jack and a couple of Stands...and the Diagnostic Scanner.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Very good point Brian, and one that is absolutely essential to the smooth and efficient running of a modern car.
It won’t be long until all cars have updates done via the cloud at any time of day or night even when the car is parked and switched off. Tesla do this now.
Our Volvo group trucks also do this.

About 18 months ago a new range of trucks started to come to the country. I quickly noticed that one major feature within the dash (a fuel economy coaching system, and live in dash reporting) was missing from every truck.
I notified Sweden, the next day, after being told it was sorted, I switched on the same truck and it was fully installed.

I’m sure there are other cars besides Tesla that do this, but I’m sure it won’t be long before all cars get this capability.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My E Estate sent me a text message through the Mercede-Me app yesterday to advise it had been xx days since I had communicated with the vehicle and checking if everything was OK with a number to call if either I or the Estate is in difficulty. The E Coupe often does updates to software at start up.
What must be obtained through an authorised dealer (at least at this stage) are the critical updates to firmware.
The motor trade is arguing that independents should be able to access firmware updates but at the moment M-B is holding to the argument that as they develop the updates, they are the ones who should profit from the installation - a fair enough argument in my view.
Regards,
Brian

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Hahahahaha
Your baby was checking up on you Brian.

How good is that really, and I agree with you Brian, they are the ones that developed it, they should install it.

I wish my dad was around to see car technology.
He loved cars, he would be amazed.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Today is the Day of the Electronic Technician..... My days are long done Side valve Morris Minors and SU Carburettors... Not forgetting the tail end of the Horse Drawn era of the Thirties and Forties. ....
But I have embraced my state of the Art 2022 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross...
Cruise Control coupled with Autonomous Braking brings the Car to a complete stop as/if necessary..
But always aware of the adage that says, the Pilot's Job is to Fly the Aeroplane, not the Electronics.