Service Life - 6.9 Muffler

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
As a rule, you wouldn't replace either of the two mufflers with genuine replacement units. At some stage, I priced the cost of both 6.3 and 6.9 mufflers and if I remember correctly, the cost was horrendous. Say about two grand plus for just the rear muffler. Anyway, please don't quote as my info is several years old.

It's my understanding that the metal used is mild alloy steel in the interests of longevity. So, what is their working life ? I have just examined a rear muffler, part no. 116 491 8101 which showed what appears to be a manufactured date - II 1989. From that, one would be entitled to assume that it has seen almost twenty three years of service, and it has just developed a very small hole that will require welding. So from a longevity point of view, the quality of the product cannot be questioned. Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
I believe the service life has to do with how the vehicle is used. A car doing only short runs that doesn't get the rear muffler hot enough to burn off any condensation will significantly reduce its life.
A good point to remember is that mufflers can become blocked over time and a replacing them can be like giving you car a tune up. :D

WGB

Service life of M-B mufflers declined sharply with the arrival of unleaded fuel.

This was commented on several times when I complained about the short life of genuine M-B mufflers to the agent.

My 1987 126 300SE used a rear muffler($400 in the late 80's) every 14 months and the front muffler ($600 at the same era) every two years.

The 14 months was significant for the mufflers were warranted if they didn't last 12 months but they always just scraped through.

In the early 90's they(according tpo the agents) improved the quality of the steel both original and replacement and I have never purchased a replacement muffler since.

Bill

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The full exhaust system on the 450 and the ML have never been replaced duriong my ownership. I've had the 450 for 12 years and the ML for 10 now. The system on the Spirit is original and that's now 19 years old. #### - time flies!
Regards,
Brian