Repco Rally

More threads by OzBenzHead

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Gordon, thanks heaps for the photographs. I try and follow the WRC championship whenever possible, and am a great admirer of Sebastian Loeb - what a driver, and whilst he has some really stiff competition this year in Hirvonen, I am still hoping he can make up the two points that he trails the Finn by - a bit like I had hoped that Lance Armstrong would win this year's Tour De France.

Regarding the rock throwing incidents, I shake my head in bewilderment - where is the sense of fair play, and respect and consideration for fellow man ? There are just so many 'do-gooders' outthere that insist on a slim minority holding every one to ransom. Regards Styria

s class

OP
OzBenzHead

OzBenzHead

Master
Current media reports indicate the alleged rock throwing may not have taken place.....probably Gordon has more reliable information.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Which media organs, Brian?

I've spent more than an hour searching -- online and hard copy (where I have the latter) -- and the only mention of the rock-throwing's non-occurrence is in a letter to the editor of the Northern Rivers Echo, Lismore's local weekly freebie (traditionally left of centre / anti-establishment rag). The author of that letter, who was one of the WRC opponents, claims that the rock throwing "probably" didn't happen, claims to have seen no photographic evidence, and suggests it was a publicity-seeking beat-up. (He is also an employee of the Echo.)

Perhaps that sceptical correspondent ought to read the Northern Star occasionally, Lismore's other newsrag (our daily).

The Northern Star reported on 7 September with the following photo: WRC_missile.png.

I have searched the SMH and the ABC, on neither of which can I find anything about the rock-throwing that hasn't already been published -- and nothing about its not happening.

My sources within the local law-enforcement service also claim to know nothing new on the matter since the rock throwing was reported.

I would, of course, like to know that the incident was a beat-up, because such behaviour makes the residents of my region appear stupid, mindless, inhospitable -- none of which applies to the majority.

Sources and reports -- anyone -- please? :)

OP
OzBenzHead

OzBenzHead

Master
Well, I've spent another hour searching, and still have not found any other reference to the rock throwing's not happening.

Goodness, I even read a pile of sports sections -- for the first time in my 60 years. :eek:

SELfor50

I'm not against peope doing their bit for the environment.
But I can't stand people who insist on doing stupid shyte to try and prove a point.

If there was (hypothetically) any issue at all with the ecological impact (and there's not) then staging a protest that's intent on causing trouble is not the way to get people to listen to you.

On the good side of things, great pics and words. One of my workmates (that got me into hill-climbing a Merc funnily enough) was crew for the week for one of the production drivers. Haven't seen him yet for his review of the event. Hopefully he'll have some nice happy snaps to post as well.

Cam.

OP
OzBenzHead

OzBenzHead

Master
I'm not against peope doing their bit for the environment.
But I can't stand people who insist on doing stupid shyte to try and prove a point.

If there was (hypothetically) any issue at all with the ecological impact (and there's not) then staging a protest that's intent on causing trouble is not the way to get people to listen to you.

On the good side of things, great pics and words. One of my workmates (that got me into hill-climbing a Merc funnily enough) was crew for the week for one of the production drivers. Haven't seen him yet for his review of the event. Hopefully he'll have some nice happy snaps to post as well.

Cam.

Agreed, Cam, but you know how it is -- the few ratbags spoil it for the genuine environmentalists. An example is the bloke who acted as their lawyer (an unqualified uni law-course failure): if there's a local anti-establishment cause to be supported, he'll support it, regardless of merit -- and invariably to the detriment of the cause he purports to "help". Those in the know now avoid his offers of "help" like the plague, but unfortunately he got into the ears of the ignorant, misinformed, and desperate and led their campaign to abject failure. (He tried to get a last-minute injunction against the rally.)

Such is life. :rolleyes:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Well, I've spent another hour searching, and still have not found any other reference to the rock throwing's not happening.

Goodness, I even read a pile of sports sections -- for the first time in my 60 years. :eek:
There was a very small article either in the SMH or the Sunday Sun-Herald - not sure which. We subscribe to the SMH and the Sun-Herald comes as a bonus(? :eek:). The only other paper we have delivered is The Economist and it would not have been in that.
I recall reading it and it contained a statement attributed to the police who said they had no evidence of the disruption taking place but I can't reference it.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
OzBenzHead

OzBenzHead

Master
Thanks, BB. Went to the Sun-Herald site, but only today's was available -- no archive of Sunday's edition.

Ah well ... .

I wonder who the police spokesperson was? According to the locals it wasn't one of them.

Some sceptic suggested in conversation with me today that it may have been an attempt by WRC organisers to gain some extra free publicity; however, given the enormous amount of publicity -- both that which they had organised and that unwittingly gifted them by the protestors -- I find that unlikely.

What it has done, whether true or not, is damage the protestors' cause, stripping them of credibility, respect, and future support. Of course, most of those opposed to the rally are sensible folk, but it's the ratbags who do the damage.

SELfor50

Thanks, BB. Went to the Sun-Herald site, but only today's was available -- no archive of Sunday's edition.

Ah well ... .

I wonder who the police spokesperson was? According to the locals it wasn't one of them.

Some sceptic suggested in conversation with me today that it may have been an attempt by WRC organisers to gain some extra free publicity; however, given the enormous amount of publicity -- both that which they had organised and that unwittingly gifted them by the protestors -- I find that unlikely.

What it has done, whether true or not, is damage the protestors' cause, stripping them of credibility, respect, and future support. Of course, most of those opposed to the rally are sensible folk, but it's the ratbags who do the damage.

Sad but true gordon.

Same goes for Kebab shops. Bad one's set a reputation for ACA show's to leach onto, and spread the fear.

Good ones though, are usually popular only through word of mouth and experience.

But yeah, same thing rally... the scumbags ruin it for everyone else.

Stone em to death I reckon.. :eek: ;)