Opening Rally of VSCC

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Today was the Opening Rally for the Vintage Sports Car Club with a stop off at Prospect Reservoir for lunch. I am pleased to report that the PII sailed through the hot weather without a problem and the temp gauge sat on 70 C despite hills, motorways and high ambient temperatures. Here is the engine of a Bugatti Type 44 - 3 litre straight 8 with Weymann style (fabric) coupe body. I incude the photo because this little beast sounded like an angry wasp as it stormed up the hills around the Reservoir - brilliant!! In the background is the PII making the most of the shade.

oprally.png

I am surprised that more TK folk are not into vintage or veteran motoring. Come on chappies - a bit of wind in the hair? :D

Regards,
Benz-Boy

abl567

Super Moderator
And a lot of wind in the wallet I guess:p

Can you chirp the tyres as the auto changes up to top in a veteran:D

All jokes aside I'd love to be able to do justice to vintage or veteran but know I don't have the skills or know-how at this stage to do so.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
"Can you chirp the tyres as the auto changes up to top in a veteran"
Automatic? Huh????????????????????????? Oh, you mean a Daimler Saloon with pre-selector gearbox, perhaps.
Well, no you can't but you can spin your cross plies in the gravel and do sideways drifts in your MGTD.:D
Ant, I would expect you to be the most likely candidate from this bunch; Michel is too, well too American for this and Styria would find it hard to keep a cigarette alight without a windscreen. :D Maybe Des?
Definitely Mr Monkey is in.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

G

GreaseMonkey

Oh dear BenzBoy,
now you have opened a can of proverbial worms.
Ant definitely would be up for it, I suggest you take him along to an event and get him hooked a.s.a.p.
If he has the skills to keep one of the nicest 6.3s I have ever seen on the road, he can handle a vet or vin.
Don't think it need be a hard road, the engineering while not necessarily better or worse, was mostly simpler, no fancy electronics, usually easier to work on, and no plastic.
I have my T 'Woodie' project to keep me busy for now,
(yes I will put some photos up soon) but there will be others to follow, a 'Brass era' T Speedster is next.
Des has the aptitude, he said he even prefers earlier VWs to later ones, maybe purity of line, simpler mechanics, or he actually likes 6-volt electrics, but whatever, that is a vintage mentality.
OBH too I could believe would have a way with a horseless carriage.
C.M.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yes, I think I'll work on Ant. I did not consider OBH because he has carved out a niche for himself in the Land of Crayford but maybe he could be persuaded towards a little versatility? :eek:
I had forgotten about the dreaded 6V bit!! The PII is 12Vbut I guess not many are that way.
Des? If he could find the original VW he would no doubt sell us all into white slavery just so he could own it.
Yes; Ant could do it. Ant?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

G

GreaseMonkey

Yes, I think I'll work on Ant. I did not consider OBH because he has carved out a niche for himself in the Land of Crayford but maybe he could be persuaded towards a little versatility? :eek:
I had forgotten about the dreaded 6V bit!! The PII is 12Vbut I guess not many are that way.
Des? If he could find the original VW he would no doubt sell us all into white slavery just so he could own it.
Yes; Ant could do it. Ant?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Well I suspect part of his interest in the Crayford, is, as is my case, the perversity of having what is very rare, one of only eleven or twelve known in the world, and also seeing the benefit of having a large station wagon, and a Mercedes S-CLass in the same car.
Of course having a VIP showbiz person in it's history helps too, alas I don't have that claim.
But yes, I suspect he could be drawn in too.
Ant I think would need a big Edwardian chain-drive open car, maybe a 60HP Renault or a Simplex, as he has that 'need-for-speed'.
When I have my T on the road, (probably another year to go) I will glady invite Brian and Ant, and whoever else, along to a T club run.
This is getting a bit far removed from W116 and 107 M-Bs but hopefully the rest of TopKlasse will go along with it!
Chris M.