Repco

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I called in at Repco today and bought some top-up oil. There is no point in paying $18 for a one litre container when the same Castrol Magnatec is $30 for 5 litres so I bought the latter. To my horror it came with a free oil filter so when I saw "Made in Indonesia for Repco" stamped on the side, I dropped it in the rubbish bin on the way out.
Why? Well, if the filter is of similar quality the rest of the Repco homebrand range I can only conclude it's a Soviet plot to sabotage Australian industry .....
So disappointing really.
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Couldn't agree more Brian. I learned a very long time ago to buy Oil Filters and Brake Pads from the Dealer or an O.E.M. Supplier. We learn the hard way.
Little wonder the Dealers will not honour Engine warranties if a non genuine Filter has been fitted. Inferior Pads either squeal or fade rapidly and probably both.

Styria

The Godfather
Well my learned Gentlemen, when I was the proud owner of my V8 Holden Statesman, I I would always buy Nulon Synhetic, with the filter coming by way of courtesy from the Holden Dealer, and it was made in.......Poland ! I think, most of the time, parts are manufactured in low cost and low wage countries and even Mercedes Benz are part of that arrangement. I know for a fact that front wheel bearings for the 6.9 were manufactured in France as far back as 1978. Regards. Styria

CraigS

parts are manufactured in low cost and low wage countries - front wheel bearings for the 6.9 were manufactured in France as far back as 1978. Regards. Styria

I don't think the French would enjoy being called a low cost and low wage country !

Styria

The Godfather
Now now boys, back in 1978 the French were still peeling onions and cultivating frogs. Anyway, we are talking about today's situation - for instance, ignition coils for 6.9s have for years been manufactured in Spain. Regards. Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Now now boys, back in 1978 the French were still peeling onions and cultivating frogs. Anyway, we are talking about today's situation - for instance, ignition coils for 6.9s have for years been manufactured in Spain. Regards. Styria
Oh boy! You need to get out more often Styria......
Nothing wrong with onions and frogs.
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Also made in Spain were the Lucas (Under licence from Bosch) ECUs for V12 Jaguar. At the factory gate $50 ..retail from Jaguar $3000!!!! Reco units were half that from same factory( run by the Ladies) On exchange .. cleaning the old case and inserting a new circuit board. Much much less costly than repairing, . use unskilled labour. And the failure was caused by a special capacitor with Jaguar owning the intellectual Property. A $10 fix if i ever saw one !