My 420SEL

More threads by Styria

Tony66_au

LOL Doing that to the SEL at the moment actually and it is drinking the stuff.

Jenna wants to use liddys saddle oil, saddle soap and beeswax instead of the autoglym stuff but im not convinced German leather will cope.

And I dont want it smelling like my Jags did

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Styria any luck with the wheel bolts you were after?

Do you have photos of the engine in the 420?

Hi Tim, I did manage to procure an additional ten bolts, new, at a cost of $9.00 each - this compares with a new price from Mercedes Benz of at least thirty dollars each. Alas, they do not fit on account of lack of length thread wise.

Also, I am now attaching some pics of the underbonnet area. Unfortunately, it is less than pristine, even after some thorough cleaning. It would need a lot more detail work.

GleamingBeautyRestoration006-1.jpg

Take note of the twin freash air intakes - apparently fitted to 'dirty' high compression engines.

GleamingBeautyRestoration007-1.jpg

I wonder if anyone can identify the square alloy switch with the four holes on top ? Could it be a resistor ?

GleamingBeautyRestoration008.jpg

Basically, to just recap, the car is running faultlessly - sure, a couple of fairly minor items that will be attended to, but overall, at the price paid, I could not be happier. I guess, sooner or later, I will probably consider repainting the car. Its honesty and unmolested state warrant the expense in due course. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Hey Styria I noticed that aircleaner straight away! Small snorkle on the left side of the car. It's the complete opposite of a Aussie 560 one. If you combined the two, you'd have twin large snorkles which should breathe a little better. I can't help with the resistor but and was wondering about the box near the ABS... What's that? BTW Aussie ABS is on the opposite side I think

260ebenz

Master
Hi Styria,

If you did need a set of wheel bolts I do have 5 wheel bolts for my old 260E would W124 wheel bolts be suitable for a W126?

The W124 bolts I have are brand new MB bolts still in the bag.

Much larger engine the 4.2ltr V8 engine compared to the 3ltr 6cyl engine.

Good chance to clean your engine Styria at the TK detailing day?

Cheers Tim.

Attachments

• W124 wheel bolts.JPG
    W124 wheel bolts.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 6
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks Tim, I appreciate your kind offer. The bolts I bought should be the same as fitted to your 300SE - in other words, the bolt heads should be fairly flush with the centre portion of the rim.

Regarding detailing - too much work on the 420SEL. Besides, I need to show off the glorious sound now coming from the exhaust pipes of Gleaming Beauty. Regards Styria

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Good idea if I hang onto the wheel bolts if I ever need spare bolts for the 300SE.

Bolts are 15" bolts.

Bolts purchased from MB and they were not that expensive, double check the price.

Let's hear the sound coming from the exhausts on GB Styria I bet it is good!

Cheers.

abl567

Super Moderator
Hey Styria I noticed that aircleaner straight away! Small snorkle on the left side of the car. It's the complete opposite of a Aussie 560 one. If you combined the two, you'd have twin large snorkles which should breathe a little better. I can't help with the resistor but and was wondering about the box near the ABS... What's that? BTW Aussie ABS is on the opposite side I think

ABS is on the same side on my Oz delivered W126

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Tim, I did manage to procure an additional ten bolts, new, at a cost of $9.00 each - this compares with a new price from Mercedes Benz of at least thirty dollars each. Alas, they do not fit on account of lack of length thread wise.

Also, I am now attaching some pics of the underbonnet area. Unfortunately, it is less than pristine, even after some thorough cleaning. It would need a lot more detail work.

GleamingBeautyRestoration006-1.jpg

Take note of the twin freash air intakes - apparently fitted to 'dirty' high compression engines.

GleamingBeautyRestoration007-1.jpg

I wonder if anyone can identify the square alloy switch with the four holes on top ? Could it be a resistor ?

GleamingBeautyRestoration008.jpg

Basically, to just recap, the car is running faultlessly - sure, a couple of fairly minor items that will be attended to, but overall, at the price paid, I could not be happier. I guess, sooner or later, I will probably consider repainting the car. Its honesty and unmolested state warrant the expense in due course. Regards Styria

That's the interior fan resistor :D

Helmet

Connoisseur

The air filter and ABS unit are the same as Australian delivered 560's. :cool:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Helmet, thank you for that information. It would seem that my 420SEL has some of its origins and features, going back to the 560, with some trim being the same as the latish Australian delivered 420 models - items such as the pleated door trims. The resistor - is it an important or integral part of the system - are they known to be troublesome and what is its function. If I can call on your expertise this once more, I would ever be so grateful. Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
Helmet, thank you for that information. It would seem that my 420SEL has some of its origins and features, going back to the 560, with some trim being the same as the latish Australian delivered 420 models - items such as the pleated door trims. The resistor - is it an important or integral part of the system - are they known to be troublesome and what is its function. If I can call on your expertise this once more, I would ever be so grateful. Regards Styria

Your 420 is basically the same as an Aussie 560 minus the climate control and other restrictions placed on it by our government of the time. Enjoy .

Oversize

Grand Master
I might've been wrong about the ABS but I don't think I am re the air filter. The Aussie 560 had the small snorkle on the RHS of the car... Unless I'm going completely bonkers! :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
I've had a hard week.... obviously!!! I could've sworn.... Hmmm I'll get back to this with something. Maybe not proof, but something!! LOL!

Oversize

Grand Master
Ok this was what I waas thinking of!!

11_IMG_0005_web.jpg

17_IMG_0009_web.jpg

I was a little off, but the same result!! ;)

Helmet

Connoisseur
I've had a hard week.... obviously!!! I could've sworn.... Hmmm I'll get back to this with something. Maybe not proof, but something!! LOL!

Photoshop ? :rolleyes::)

Just looked at your pics again, maybe butcher shop not photoshop lol

Last edited:

TJ 450

Hi Styria,

I can see you have an EZL module hiding down there, with the knock sensors. Does it have 8-Pin connectors? If so that thing is worth an absolute fortune, so I would recommend keeping an eye on the condition of the ignition system otherwise damage may result! It is about $7000 new.

The 8-Pin EZL on a 420 strikes me as being unusual. I would to see whether or not your car has a catalyst, and have a look at the trimmer plug under the passenger side footwell out of curiosity.

Tim

Oversize

Grand Master
Ok I've just been officially turned off the idea of a 560!!! :eek: Somehow I forgot what I'd heard before....