My 420SEL

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
They honestly are not a huge car when compared with an Aussie family wagon and she looks the goods sitting there Styria.

As for the fuel cap, Is there not a bright red pull knob hidden under the carpet where the filler bump is in the boot?

My 126 had one.

Hi Tony, thanks for the info. I will have to check. Maybe it could be missing seeing that the car appears to be a poverty pack car. Occasionally the flap will open. The central locking seems to have a mind of its own. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks for that info, Matt. As a matter of interest, or conjecture, could it be that the mechanicals of the car, particularly relating to emission controls, would be different to Aussie spec. cars and thus perhaps possess more power ? Personally I doubt it, but you never know. Helmet, you may also have some thoughts on this matter ? How about the timing chain - were 420s fitted with a double row right from the beginning, and do you guys think that the 420s are not nearly as prone as 380s to damage by a busted timing chain or broken guides ?

The other matter relates to the speedometer. As I have mentioned previously, the mileage and trip recorders are inoperative. Is this likely to be an electronic gearbox problem, or is it simply a matter of the speedo having to be checked/rebuilt ? I will also have to take a photo of the options plate to see what information is likely to come up as a surprise. The adjustable back seat fitted to this 420 comes as somewhat of a surprise. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, maybe we will have some answers soon. There are some pretty cluey people in our community who would more than likely be able to properly decipher the the option plate that is affixed to the radiator support panel.

Mercedes420SEL.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria here goes #119 Metalic Blue/Black paint #221 Left Hand Elec seat #222Right hand Elec seat #223 Adjustable rear seat #261 Black leather #532 Elec antena #580 Air Tempmatic #600 Head lamp washer .Get back to the rest when i get time tonight .Geoff:D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
#415 glass panoramic sunroof .Geoff :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria i hope you find this interesting .Geoff :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Geoff, thanks a million for that. It just saved me looking it up. I am somewhat perplexed as the 415 option, i.e. the glass panoramic roof is certainly not in evidence. I am also perplexed by the colour - it looks nothing like blue/black metallic, and I thought that the 600 code would have indicated the country to which it was shipped. For instance, I believe that 625 denotes Australia.

I also think that the '124' style Tempmatic is probably something of a bonus as it would appear to be more reliable, and cheaper to maintain, than the fully automatic system as fitted to Australian models. Anyway, it's all very interesting, but I still wouldn't mind knowing the country of destination and the whereabouts of the panoramic glass roof. Thanks again, Geoff. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well Geoff, we are, or better still, you are getting closer. First of all, 199H is known as Black Pearl Metallic in the States, but also one or two contributors on Benz World suggested that it was also known as Blue/Black Metallic. Apparently, in the sun, the paint does display a tinge of blue in it.

Regarding Namibia - interesting. If that is correct, and I suspect it is, this makes it the second car for me to own where new delivery was effected to an African country. The other car ? Gleaming Beauty, and she was sold to some sources in Kenya ! That only leaves the Panoramic Glass roof - maybe someone changed their mind about it ? If Namibia is correct, it does make sense to have the adjustable rear seat and rear seat cushion - maybe some dignitary sitting in the back, and a chauffeur doing the duties up front.

It also gives me no end of pleasure to assure everyone and sundry, that the car does not leak a single drop of oil. That is stokingly (!) good fantastic news. Seeing also that the car was used for part of its life in that African country, it could well explain the low mileage. Also, I am looking for some further advice. On normal running temperature, the idle speed hovers near the 1000-1100 revs mark. Is there any way of adjusting this ? Regards Styria

mathew

Do not adjust the throttle linkage to alter the throttle butterfly I say this because so many people see it as an easy fix and over time it causes lots more problems. At the front of the air filter you will see a long tube like looking part with an electrical connection at one end and air hose at the other. This is the idle speed control valve remove it and fill it with WD40 and leave it over night then refit. These get sticky and create idle speed between 100o-1300rpm. It may stay good or go bad again indicating it's worn. In OZ the pricing is plain stupid but if you go here:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=h33dpyub0bwjf545psbijdbx&makeid=800016@Mercedes&modelid=1194713@420SEL&year=1989&cid=22@Fuel%20%26%20Air%20System&gid=6072@Idle%20Air/Speed%20Control%20Valve

now your smiling aren't you? The idle speed valve is well known to W126 owners with older cars.

Cheers Mat

260ebenz

Master
Styria any luck with the wheel bolts you were after?

Do you have photos of the engine in the 420?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Matt, thanks for your reply and possible remedial action. I would imagine that this part is probably the equivalent of the auxiliary air valve that one finds on the earlier 117 (K-Jet) engines. It's also been suggested that I should be looking for a vacuum leak. and that is a distinct possibility as there are some oil or engine fumes inside the car.

Thus, as soon as I get a chance, I will be spending a little time under the bonnet to familiarize myself with the various features of the fuel and air system. BTW Matt, with what I would consider a fairly genuine one hundred K.s on the clock, should I be concerned with tensioner, timing chain and guides? The engine is so sweet, and the oil pressure just so excellent......what's your opinion ? Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Styria any luck with the wheel bolts you were after?

Do you have photos of the engine in the 420?

Tim, all of that I will attend to in due course. There have been one or two little happenings family wise and time is at a pinch presently. Regards Styria

N.B. I will alsopost a picture of the W126 brochure as soon as I get an opportunity.

260ebenz

Master
Tim, all of that I will attend to in due course. There have been one or two little happenings family wise and time is at a pinch presently. Regards Styria

N.B. I will alsopost a picture of the W126 brochure as soon as I get an opportunity.

OK Styria thanks for letting me know.

All the best Styria.

Tony66_au

I think this explains it Tim :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Not a lot more to say at this stage except for the fact that it certainly is turning out to be a most pleasant alternative to Gleaming Beauty. As previously mentioned, the odometer is not working, hence it is difficult to obtain fuel consumption figures. However, logging some trips, and tagging distances with the i.Phone, it would appear that I used 14.5 liters over a distance of some 115 kilometers. If that is correct, that's reasonable consumption under everyday driving and traffic conditions - I am more than pleased.

Driving wise, it makes an interesting comparison with both Gleaming Beauty (6.9) as well as the Holden Statesman (5.7L. Gen. III). In a round about some sort of a way, I am lucky to have the use of three such excellent cars, each in their own right. I think that the 420 can best be described as a 'glider' - very soft, and somewhat leisurely in acceleration, even when pressed a little with the loud pedal, in spite of the fact that it has the "higher" compression engine. The gear selector features "E" (economy ?) and "S" (?) choices, with "S" holding the gears a little longer. What I now resort to is to pull the lever back one notch which gives more brisk acceleration and, sometimes according to the manifold economy gauge (how useful ?), more efficient use of fuel characteristics. More on a comparison between the cars at a later stage. Regards Styria

N.B. In the meantime, I have kept of feeding leather dressing to the upholstery.