My 420SEL

More threads by Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Whoa they'd make a statement!!! :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes but none to complimentary i would imagine LOL by the way offset is 40 so no go. Geoff :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
But these are the same as what is on it now... :confused: :rolleyes:

Michel, I think similar in design, but different size - mind you, from photos it's difficult to pick. I also suspect that the ones on the 420 right now could well be after market units. The ones on Ebay seem tol have a "contoured shadow" around the 'cut-out' (?) holes. I am not so sure that those are genuine MB units., but I cannot be sure. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
HI Styria i have found the wheels just for you as a discerning owner may i point good sir in this direction http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Schnitze...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bdf3c380 . Geoff :D

Hi Geoff, you did have to fall for the two bob trick, didn't you ? :D They're the same as what you'll find on Gleaming Beauty now - believe it or not. For those that don't like those wheels on Gleaming Beauty, let me point out that they are the genuine "SCHNITZERS" - made by SPEEDY in Taiwan, and they are as heavy as buggery, but I love them. The name is associated with the Fatherland, but was usually reserved for the Schnitzer BMWs. Geoff, will find an appropriate photo for you - just to substantiate my assertions. Wow, some big words in this lot. :) Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria i know they are the wheels on GB that is why i posted the link as to what the add says :mad: tell him he is dreaming but the price seems reasonable. You have to get up very early to convince me something i know not to be true Schnitzers are for the other car :eek: . Geoff

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just changing tack a bit. Took a picture the other day whilst parked in the street prior to having physio treatment on my shoulder. I wanted to illustrate the length of the 420SEL when compared to whatever was parked in front, and to also illustrate what I consider to be the very graceful lines of the 126s - particularly from side-on.

Mercedes420SEL007.jpg

Prior to acquiring the car, and on initial inspection, the mileage showed what I thought was some seventy thousand plus kilometers. I was wrong - the speedometer did in fact show eighty five thousand odd (as per picture below) and I was of course curious just how genuine that mileage was. Well, I have already alluded to the fact that the speedometer has been inoperative for about five to six years, but the previous owner (a Club member) assured me that the car was hardly ever used. So I reckon on about one hundred K. from hereon in.

With the odometer not working, it is virtually impossible to calculate fuel consumption, and I was also keen to evaluate the car as an every day driver. Thus, Saturday gone, we travelled, early in the morning (8 am) to Malabar from South Wentworthville. Traffic was brilliant, and I put away forty five kilometers in 43 minutes - an average of 60k's. On the way back in the afternoon, I decided to utilize the M5 up to Olympic Drive, but that did not happen. Traffic at the tunnel entrance at Mascot was at a standstill, so I proceeded to Bexley North, down to Beverley Hills and then the Olympic Drive. The density of traffic, traffic lights and stop-go situations was horrendous, but those conditions represented an ideal opportunity to test the honesty of this car, and the condition of its mechanicals. The following picture was taken at the traffic lights just before the turn-off from Olympic Dive and the M4. The reading was interesting, to say the least, and re-assuring to the extreme.

Mercedes420SEL009.jpg

Please note idle speed, temperature and oil pressure - even with all the slow traffic, and innumerable stops, the engine was as smooth as butter - also take note of the fuel gauge after probably about 100 kilometers - encouraging from a fuel economy point of view.

Regards Styria

N.B. Presently unable to open fuel filler flap - it has a mind of its own, so cannot top up with fuel !

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
Good to hear the new toy is going well Styria.

SEL W126 are a big car even more so than my SE.

Just noticed your 420 has the same instrument panel as my car well they are both a W126 model.

Would be tricky with the fuel filler flap not opening but that can be fixed.

None the less Styria enjoy the car and happy motoring.

Cheers Tim.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria looks like you bought a decent car to play with while you do your work to GB. Just thought i would let you know carshine in Melbourne still have genuine AMG front spoilers for sale for series2 w126 price $440 if you decide to take Michel up with a repray. Geoff

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Godfather,

I always believed the W126 had beautiful lines.
In my mind, it is one of the most beautiful, elegant and timeless S-Class ever designed and built.

Having owned a few, I can vouch that they are simply a dream to drive and enjoy.

Well done on acquiring a nice example.

260ebenz

Master
Godfather,

I always believed the W126 had beautiful lines.
In my mind, it is one of the most beautiful, elegant and timeless S-Class ever designed and built.

Having owned a few, I can vouch that they are simply a dream to drive and enjoy.

Well done on acquiring a nice example.

Well said Michel!

Tony66_au

They honestly are not a huge car when compared with an Aussie family wagon and she looks the goods sitting there Styria.

As for the fuel cap, Is there not a bright red pull knob hidden under the carpet where the filler bump is in the boot?

My 126 had one.

mathew

Nice fill in car mate. The car is missing the items you have stated for one very obvious reason (well obvious to a W126 fanatical such as myself:)) The Zebrano walnut in a W126 420SEL tells me it was either HK or Singapore delivered possibly UK but not likely. The other dead give away is the W124 Climate control rather than the push button set up to be fund on all Australian delivered W126's. Singapore vehicles were often low spec due to the astronomical import tax applied to them, they make Aussie Merc's look cheap!!!! Singapore Car's tend to be garaged by wealthy owners thus helping to prevent rust unlike the HK cars or salt ridden UK ones. These are great cars I won't ever part with mine.

Cheers Mat.

260ebenz

Master
Nice fill in car mate. The car is missing the items you have stated for one very obvious reason (well obvious to a W126 fanatical such as myself:)) The Zebrano walnut in a W126 420SEL tells me it was either HK or Singapore delivered possibly UK but not likely. The other dead give away is the W124 Climate control rather than the push button set up to be fund on all Australian delivered W126's. Singapore vehicles were often low spec due to the astronomical import tax applied to them, they make Aussie Merc's look cheap!!!! Singapore Car's tend to be garaged by wealthy owners thus helping to prevent rust unlike the HK cars or salt ridden UK ones. These are great cars I won't ever part with mine.

Cheers Mat.

Mat good to hear from you and posting on the Forum again.

Fellow Battleship owner!

How is Governor going mate?

See you at the Concours.