My 420SEL

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just an update on the 420SEL. In another thread (the Oberon trip with some of the Rolls Royce boys) I made reference to the fuel consumption following some fairly spirited driving to the Blue Mountains, and especially beyond Mount Victoria towards Jenolan Caves and Oberon. The car returned an overall fuel consumption of 11.25 liters per hundred. On that basis, with a 90 litre tank, you could theoretically cover close to eight hundred kilometers before having to refill.

I also made a fairly serious attempt in cleaning and degreasing the engine bay, and also under the engine and gearbox. It's quite interesting that the sump and a couple of other areas show evidence of having been resealed with red Silastic. Incidentally, the car has never lost a single drop of oil. I also took the opportunity to replace engine oil and filter. One of the next jobs will be the various driving belts, particularly the Power Steering units.

Another job I carried out was to clean the inside of the front rims. Tim has previously asked for the best method to clean the caked on gunk and brake dust. I had heaps of that stuff on the inside, and CT18 and scouring pad had little impact on my cleaning efforts. In the end I used a dremel with a very stiff carbon wheel (?), and that removed most of the stuff. Back wheels next, and also some new front disc brake pads. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I suppose that everyone knows that I can be a real dope. Right ? Well, if you haven't thought so, let me tell you my tale of stupidity. I have often referred to the fact that the old girl is an absolute snail and can't get out of its own way. Story is very simple - gears. If you leave it in "D' or "S", the car starts in second gear. Pull it back to "L", the car starts off in second gear. Now, that is good for 130 kms/hour. Switch the button on the selector quadrant to "S" (from "E" - Economy ?), I think it just hols the gears a bit longer. So, nothing really changes - 2nd gear starts each and every time, and like a snail each and every time....but wait, there is something else. Low, low, real low - you can actually select that by pulling the gear lever ACROSS when in "L", and that actually engages first gear and holds it until you shift the lever ACROSS to the left, which then engages 2nd gear. That 1st gear is good for 80 kms/hour (still fairly high geared), but the old girl lifts her skirt and actually accelerates quite briskly.

It took all of six months to come up with that. :eek: Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, it is now almost twelve months since I acquired this quite splendid car. Splendid from the point of absolute reliability. I cannot believe. It is possible to purchase a used 1989 model like this 420SEL and not experience any sort of issues. All I have had to do has been to change engine oil and oil filter, and replace the front disc brake pads. Other than that, zilch - absolutely remarkable. I cannot speak highly enough of this "baby" - yes, baby.

I am still convinced that this is a low mileage car, despite the fact that I am unable to fully substantiate this observation.

There is, however, one aspect that I would like to query and get advice on from someone that may be familiar with possible "idiosyncrasies" of a late model 420. Is there possibly an arrangement that shuts down any cylinders when engaging third gear (S) on a trailing throttle or simply decelerating ? It is difficult to describe the symptoms,, but it almost feels as though the car is losing power, it is slowing down noticeably, yet there is plenty of acceleration when you depress the pedal again. Would anyone be familiar with those characteristics ? Regards. Styria

260ebenz

Master
Styria speak to Mat Kean he is very good in regards to the W126 Series.

Also contact the MBCNSW W126 model advisor Albert Ricci.

I wonder if you could look at the W126 Manuals I posted here on Forum, if they might be of use to you Styria?

Hope this helps and please keep us posted with the outcome.

Cheers.

Oversize

Grand Master
Styria do you have a pic of your trans shifter? I have a manual "Description of Operation Automatic Transmission 722.3 (W4A040) 722.4 (W4A020)". The manual states on the program selector switch "S" means standard program and "E" means economy program.

BTW anyone heard of ASD? :rolleyes:

WiSeGuYY

GODFATHER , NO WONDER that your w126 had no trouble at all , i drove mine since 1990 to 2008 and it is 1985 280 S with same experience , no trouble at all, what you call baby i call big benz , though it wasn't first benz but it was the reason i do respect them.

REGARDS

TAREK

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Tim, the car has performed faultlessly in every respect. There are a couple of worn front end bushes that incite a rumble over certain surfaces, but other than that fine. Even on the occasion of some hot days (35 degrees) and with Air Con operatingunder traffic and some stop/start conditions, the temperature has barely moved past the 85 degree mark.

To illustrate the quality of the engine, I am attaching a photo of the instrument panel.

JuliesFamilyPictures145_zps676da060.jpg

Take note of the time, temperature and oil pressure reading. The readings were taken after arriving home from the Goulburn trip - a distance of some two hundred kilometers. Unfortunately, the trip and kilometer recorders are inoperative, but those readings would confirm a mileage reading of round about the one hundred thousand kilometer mark that the car has travelled in total. On the Goulburn return trip, the consumption of fuel was about 10.5 liters per 100. Honestly, I am stoked with this car - ever so slow on acceleration, but quite brilliant in the reliability stakes. Regards Styria

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to get back to this illustration. Thanks to Tim for digging up the thread, as I wanted to do a quick update - well, pose a question and hopefully receive an answer. Also, an apology to Oversize for not replying to his question. Honestly Mark, I missed your post completely at the time. Now, first of all, in reply to Mark. The selector lever on the gearbox console does in fact provide for an 'Economy' option. In fact, I leave the switch in that position all the time. In addition Mark, when in "L" for Low, the box starts in 2nd gear. However, there is a facility to pull the lever "Across" the gate, and that action engages and holds first gear. Mind you, I don't know up to what rev range or speed, as I have never taken it past four thousand rpm.

Right, if you guys have a look at the Instrument Panel, you will note that at "Idle" the Economy gauge is almost completely on the left hand side of the dial. Lately, the position of the needle, under exactly the same circumstances and readings, remains in round about the centre position. To me, this indicates a slight vacuum leak, a belief still to be investigated. However, I do feel that fuel economy has decreased somewhat - i.e. I think the car is using a little more petrol. Am I correct in assuming or supposing that the extra consumption can be sheathed home to a possible vacuum leak ? Anyone that could advise in regards to this ? Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Styria thank you for the update and all the best with the 420SEL.

Why not bring the 420SEL to the AGD next year?

The more W126 on display at the AGD the better and remember Styria Battleships rule!
:D

Cheers.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, not much has been heard of, or written by myself, about the 420. I can convey to all and sundry that the car is still going beautifully, with no troubles or problems whatever.

I have previously referred to the fact that acceleration, at best, is marginal and, it is valid to say, that some of this May be sheathed to the high ratio diff. See Speedo marked at 200 km/ hr. For third gear. For a number of years, I have been using petrol with a RON rating of 95 - both on the 420SEL and also my Gleaming Beauty. Just recently, when refilling the 420, I did not have access to the 95 bowser, and used RON 98 instead. After a little while (mileage), I thought that I could notice an improvement in acceleration,but did not really pay all that great a deal to my gut feeling. Anyhow, I have been using 98 for a couple of fill-ups now, and there is no doubt in my mind that acceleration is greatly improved - I reckon by about five to ten percent. From hereon in, RON 98 it will be, for both the 420 and Gleaming Beauty. It's worth paying the extra. Regards. Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria good to hear it has been going well after your little miss hap side lined you .Its about time you had some luck I have said this before but the owners manual for the 6.9 states it needs 98ron octane fuel which was the old super rating. So I guess the same would be true of a non Australian delivered 420 which had a higher out put than our version.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
The difference between the 95 and 98 octane petrol is an interesting one - even if this might be starting to get off track. I understand that 98 also contains a higher level of detergents to clean valve seats etc. but that this requires a higher compression and higher operating temperatures to actually burn off. That is, in a low compression engine and operating at lower combustion temperatures 98 octane will possibly foul plugs with the detergent that does not burn.
Conclusion? Use 98 in all Benz motors except for the 1950s and 1960s lower compression engines that can't take advantage of the extra oomph of the 98. I could be wrong but this is how I understand it.
I can pick the difference in smoothness between 95 and 98 in my cars - and on the odd occasions when I have been forced to use 91 the performance drops considerably and more fuel is used to maintain normal speeds.
Regards,
Brian

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It's always tricky in deciding what is best to use in your car(s). As I said, it is purely by accident or co-incidence that I was forced to purchase the 98 rating petrol.

260ebenz

Master
Styria what us the fuel consumption like when you are running the 420 on the 98 Octane?

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Probably similar to your fuel consumption Tim. :D