'Milky' anodized trim

More threads by Styria

E200K

You'll never be able to attain a good finish by polishing old, drab looking anodized aluminium trim. All you'll manage to achieve is a shiny drab-looking finish.

To properly clean and polish anodized aluminium trim you first need to de-anodize it with sodium hydroxide. You can then remove any scratches and polish to a high shine. Unfortunately the process to anodize aluminium involves acid baths and electric current but as an alternative you can spray the polished aluminium with a clear laquer.

bronzy935

Is it necessary to take out the front windscreen to replace the three trim pieces?

The trim around the back glass was a cinch but I'm struggling with the front.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bronzy935, the chrome strips at the front are removed with the screen as one piece. In other words, the chrome cannot be removed - conversely, the chromed pieces are fitted to the front screen rubber before the screen is refitted. Regards Styria

WiSeGuYY

Hi GODFATHER , maybe a bit off the topic but since i read it for first time but please i would appreciate update of the shining status after couple of years since i'm going throu similer job and wonder if i'll do this step or not.

REGARDS

TAREK

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Just reviewing this thread.

I suppose Mercede-Benz still offer the anodised trim product for detailing.
I notice the latest 'S' class appears to have anodised alloy trim, just like the good 'ole 116.

I re apply the clear laquer as mentioned previously every 6 to 9 months. My alloy trim ( I mean that on the car!), is just as good as when I first treated it 8 years ago, for the first time.

WGB

I was reading an old copy of M-B Enthusiast (Feb 2011 edition I think in the magazine rack in my Loo) and there is an article on a professional detailer performing a 2 day detail on a 1950's 300C.

He talks about rubbing milky anodised trim on the 300 with aluminium foil dipped in vinegar.

I thought I might try it on some old pieces and see what happens.

Bill

450SEL1979

Connoisseur
I too tried the clear coat method on one of my earlier 450SELs , more by accident than intent. I was doing a light touch up spray of clear coat on a section of the boot lid and oversprayed the window trim by mistake. Noticed the difference on the trim and decided to try a few more sections, part direct spray (lot of masking up reqd). Part using a cloth. Seemed to work Ok .
My thoughts at the time was it was a little like when you laminate a colour print off your laser printer and it brings up the colour.
Problem for me is that my cars get parked on the street at all times. So not a permanent solution. Luckily the 1975 450SEL i have just acquired has very good trim, not at all milky. Will see how parking on the street affects this.

Oversize

Grand Master
The current 'Street Machine' magazine has a very interesting article on home anodizing.... I haven't read it all yet, but it seems you can coat parts with a durable finish in any colour you like! :)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
4 years down the track i was wondering how the trim has stood the test of time. Geoff