K2 spring for 3-4 flare

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
The K2 spring I got from a Transmission shop in Melbourne, a while ago, is a lot stronger than the origonal. So much so that I did not fit it. No feed back from the supplier !
I have been able to work round the 3-4 flare but not 100%.
I'm too fussy my friends tell me.
Are these replacement:confused: K2 accumulator springs a lot heavier ? ?

Thanks ......Sean ..... ( 280 SL 107 '81 )

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, could you clarify for me if you are talking about the spring contained within the valve body ? I assume that it is, simply because any internal spring as part of the gear/clutch train itself requires the removal of the box from the car.

Am I correct in assuming that you still have problems with the box flaring ? From what I recall, you have raised this matter (problem) before, pointing primarily (if I remember correctly) to an adjustment of the modulator. From my own experience, if you are still experiencing flaring, it is more than likely to be loss of pressure in the clutch pack due to hardened lip seals. The remedy for that is removal and overhaul of the box. Perhaps you can add a bit more to this thread. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Well yes, maybe I'm trying to put off the inevenable. The flare is ok except for the odd very soft shift on light throttle. There are many threads about flaring in these boxes and shift kits ( Spring Kits ) to address this problem. Could be that the box was never modified when it was new to fix the problem.
ie. ,opening up the 4th gear clutch feed in the valve body plate.
I guess the heavier K2 accumulator spring is to slow the stroke down and thus increase the initial pressure to the clutch pac. My concern about the spring that I have is that it seems to be around 50% heavier. So I could end up with an over firm shift instead. Most of the time all shifts are fine. Sometimes a bit too firm. So I will probably get a spring kit from the USA which they say addresses various issues.

Meantime I'm still told I'm too fussy .......Sean