Just how rare is white MB tex?

More threads by Nütz

G

GreaseMonkey

Hey,
while you're there OBH, check ABC radio tomorrow lunchtime between 1 and 1.30, an interview with The Rolf H himself, I doubt he is talking cars but y'know, maybe some clues..........
C.M.

Styria

The Godfather
Brian is dragging the rest of us into his private fantasies again!!!
A good scrub with Domestos indeed, and I suppose with rubber gloves?
C.M.

......and a high pressure garden hose ! BTW, I do not think that there is any MB upholstery, no matter of whichever material, that is white - beige or parchment it is. Regards Styria

OzBenzHead

Master
......and a high pressure garden hose ! BTW, I do not think that there is any MB upholstery, no matter of whichever material, that is white - beige or parchment it is. Regards Styria
I have seen parchment in many differently painted Benzes (including a few of my own). In a white or pale painted car, Parchment looks quite dark'n'dirty, but on a dunkelblau or dunkelrot car, for example, the Parchment looks almost white. It's pure relativity, very subjective.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Today I was looking (not to buy) at a 1970 280SE 3.5 Coupe and it certainly looked like white leather upholstery rather than light cream. Yes, it was original so now I am confused....perhaps there are several shaded of light cream?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

G

GreaseMonkey

Today I was looking (not to buy) at a 1970 280SE 3.5 Coupe and it certainly looked like white leather upholstery rather than light cream. Yes, it was original so now I am confused....perhaps there are several shaded of light cream?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Oh dear,
help everyone,
we can't have BenzBoy confused!!!

C.M.

OzBenzHead

Master
Regards,
Benz-Boy
If it was original, perhaps it was custom ex-factory, as the only really pale colour shown on the GAHH and World Upholstery sites for pre-1971 Benzes, in either leather or MB-Tex, is Parchment.

Perhaps Parks can enlighten us further?

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, definitely not white nor cream - just parchment or beige. Parchment is the lighter colour of the two. No need to be confused. BTW, aren't they beautiful cars, although personally I prefer the earlier models with the timber instrument binnacle.

By the time the 280SE 3.5 Coupe came along, Mercedes had well and truly commenced the process of cost cutting. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi BenzBoy, definitely not white nor cream - just parchment or beige. Parchment is the lighter colour of the two. No need to be confused. BTW, aren't they beautiful cars, although personally I prefer the earlier models with the timber instrument binnacle.

By the time the 280SE 3.5 Coupe came along, Mercedes had well and truly commenced the process of cost cutting. Regards Styria
OK - so there are two variations? And over time there will be fading that makes it appear white?
The timber binnacle and all the timber around the windows had to go with crash testing - imagine a splinter in one's head? Not a good look.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

G

GreaseMonkey

Any luck with this photo ?
Yes, took a couple of photos at the weekend, just not downloaded them yet.
If you PM your email address I can send direct.
The centre armrest is in good condition, from a 1980 W123 280E, but I noticed it is slightly different to my later '84 model.
The earler one has a rectangular black plastic bit where it pivots on the passenger's seat, where the later one is round.
Also, I did wonder if you want it for a RHD or LHD car, as obviously they may differ, or do LHD cars have them pivot on the driver's seat anyway?

Chris M.