Factory reconditioned exchange 6.9 motor for sale?

More threads by WGB

WGB

I was at a lunch today and was talking M-B's with Herbert from the Star Shop.

He thinks that there is a "NOS" Factory Reconditioned 6.9 Long Motor for sale in Perth at $6,000 left over from the days when the Factory supplied these.

He says it includes all new ancillaries including Fuel injection and alternator but not the starter motor.

If there is any interest I will follow up with Herbert and get more information - after the West Australian long weekend.

Bill

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I was at a lunch today and was talking M-B's with Herbert from the Star Shop.
He thinks that there is a "NOS" Factory Reconditioned 6.9 Long Motor for sale in Perth at $6,000 left over from the days when the Factory supplied these.
He says it includes all new ancillaries including Fuel injection and alternator but not the starter motor.
If there is any interest I will follow up with Herbert and get more information - after the West Australian long weekend.
Bill

It would be interesting to know, simply for knowledge sake...

Styria

The Godfather
It would be interesting to know, simply for knowledge sake...

Hi Bill, I'll go along with Michel's suggestion. Obviously someone would want to know a fair bit more of the extent of the reconditioning,,,,,,,,Regards STYRIA

SELfor50

No information needed. I'll buy it as is. :D

BenzBoy

Grand Master
If it is factory reconditioned and is then used exclusively with fully synthetic oils it has a good chance of lasting almost forever - and could thus be the buy of the century.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
WGB

WGB

The information I had is that it is a M-B factory reconditioned long motor (such as they used to sell for all models in the past) which has never been in a car.

Apparently it is not too far away from where I live so I will try to pack a camera and get more information tomorrow after the WA Monday holiday today but I am really under the hammer and not sure when I can get there.

It may be an "Urban Myth" but it is worth a look.

Bill

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The information I had is that it is a M-B factory reconditioned long motor (such as they used to sell for all models in the past) which has never been in a car.

Apparently it is not too far away from where I live so I will try to pack a camera and get more information tomorrow after the WA Monday holiday today but I am really under the hammer and not sure when I can get there.

It may be an "Urban Myth" but it is worth a look.

Bill

We trust you Brother Bill...
Take your time, none of us is desperate for it right at the moment..;)

OP
WGB

WGB

I went to explore the the Urban Myth today and met Helmut and Axel who are a pair of cheerful German Bikers with a pile of bikes and a number of old engines - including two Aluminium 300 motors from the 1960's, an early 350, a 170 flathead four cylinder engine and a 6.3.

Here is a picture of the 6.9 motor they have.

DSC_0001.jpg

It is not a reconditioned motor but is said to be a new 6.9 motor supplied by M-B and put in a 116 in Germany along with a second hand transmission in good condition 5 years ago. The car was subsequently written off in an accident 2,000 km after the installation and the motor was CRC'd and oiled up for storage.

DSC_0005.jpg

They claim to have all the paperwork to support this but I did not ask to see it and it is probably in German anyway.

DSC_0002.jpg

They said the motor turns over freely but I did not see it turn.

The distributer cap has been damaged - presumably in the accident and there are a shiny set of new plug leads which are not visible in the photo as he removed them to remove the camcover for me.

Here is the inside of the RH camcover that they removed for me.

DSC_0006.jpg

And here is the RH cam and towers which appear as new.

DSC_0008.jpg

Here are close up pictures of ancillaries.

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

And here is a closer view of the rear of the motor.

DSC_0014.jpg

Obviously it is buyer beware but I don't think you are going to find anything much better anywhere.

The bores may need to be checked with a scope but if the motor has been oiled as it appears and if it turns freely there can't be much wrong with it.

I have no interest in purchasing the motor or transmission and have no financial involvement whatsoever.

They have already sold the diff that came with the rest of the powertrain and still have the oil tank and the correct 6.9 driveshaft - only the exhaust manifolds would need to be changed for RHD.

If anyone is interested I will give them Axel's phone number and they can contact him direct.

I did not discuss money with him but Axel said they were initially asking for $12,000 but were open to offers and Herbert said on Sunday that they had been trying to get $6,000 - six months ago.

So there you have it.

Bill

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, thanks for the most comprehensive run-down and pictures. I am still wondering if they are asking too much as $6k. is a fair whack, unless one was really desperate and had no alternative. Of course, you'd need to take location into account, cost of shipping and a host of other things.

Wonder if Cam in Canberra went ahead with the deal ? Last I heard he was on his way to the Oktoberfest in Munich. Now that is some event. Regards Styria

Fotografa

I went to explore the the Urban Myth today and met Helmut and Axel who are a pair of cheerful German Bikers with a pile of bikes and a number of old engines - including two Aluminium 300 motors, a 1960's 350, a 170 flathead four cylinder engine and a 6.3.

Bill

Snap up that 1960's 350 engine. It's so rare it doesn't exist. The M116 was not introduced until 1971.

Last edited:
OP
WGB

WGB

Picky.

I actually meant it to apply to the all aluminium 300 motors to differentiate them from the later 1980's 300 motor and have changed the original post to protect any OCD meltdown.:D

Bill

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hi Bill, thanks for the most comprehensive run-down and pictures. I am still wondering if they are asking too much as $6k. is a fair whack, unless one was really desperate and had no alternative. Of course, you'd need to take location into account, cost of shipping and a host of other things.

Wonder if Cam in Canberra went ahead with the deal ? Last I heard he was on his way to the Oktoberfest in Munich. Now that is some event. Regards Styria

So what would be the price of a full commercial rebuild - especially if a motor had worn bores? I suspect the $6000 is not excessive but I am happy to be proven wrong.
You want to know how much a Spirit rebuild is? If you do, firstly sit down with a cup of tea and 2 panadeine then call me...
In fact, better still, take to your bed before you phone.:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

SELfor50

I reckon if the bores are sweet (which in comparision to the rest of the motor should definitely be fine) then imma jump on it. :)

So...... how much is a spirit re-build??

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Now that this info. is out there on the net, I expect with exhaust manifolds for LHD, this engine will find it's way to Europe within 6 months for an undisclosed sum.

abl567

Super Moderator
A set of 6.9 rings are over $250 US bucks per hole, that is just rings, pistons are close to $1000 each. These are classic centre prices which are approx one third of local dealer prices. As they say you do the math:eek:
What do these guys want for the 6.3 engine?

OP
WGB

WGB

Apparently the 6.3 motor needs a rebuild but it has a good injection pump with it.

I have a friend who had a RR Shadow II and purchased a new crated RR motor for it - he paid $46,000 for it 5 years ago.

Bill

Last edited:

Des

Apparently the 6.3 motor needs a rebuild but it has a good injection pump with it.

I have a friend who had a RR Shadow II and purchased a new crated RR motor for it - he paid $46,000 for it 5 years ago.

Bill

Someone once said here that you cannot have Champagne on a beer budget,

Simply pointing out, people need to remember that when new a 6.9 cost more than a Rolls Royce. Are parts really "worth" the price they command? rarely not,

I could show you a $17 Volkswagen tie rod end,

would it really cost anymore than a $250 MB tie rod end to make?

Probably not,

Once a factory is tooled up to make a part, most of the cost is in the tooling up and initial production.

Mine lasted 45 years and 117000 miles, fairly reasonable no matter what car the part was in.

However these 6.9 cars commanded a hefty price tag when new, to owners that were not short on loot to fix them.

If I was to give you the keys to a W220 or a W140 could you afford to maintain it mechanically in "as-new" condition? Or even a 6.9 as new, with all the expensive parts?

I couldn't.

I don't think I am far out in saying that if you took your average 6.9 and wanted to bring it back to as new condition, suspension parts, engine mounts, seals, hoses, rubber parts, worn and faded switches, lights and lenses you could easily spend $30,000. that's provided you do not need to do any paint or interior work. That would be to get the car to a reasonable standard.

I guess with my ramblings I'm just trying to say that these cars always have been expensive to maintain in a high standard and always will be. If you needed to do an engine rebuild this virtually new engine sounds like a bargain, even for a rebuild in a simple W123 Mercedes you are looking at 4-6k at a workshop.

SELfor50

Now that this info. is out there on the net, I expect with exhaust manifolds for LHD, this engine will find it's way to Europe within 6 months for an undisclosed sum.

If Canberra is considered part of Europe, then you're probably on the right track..................... :rolleyes: