Exchange of Bodily Fluids.

More threads by WGB

WGB

Had a day to get a few fluids changed for which I have been preparing for a while.

1) Unsure how old brake fluid was so changed brake fluid for M-B Dot 4 plus.

2) Changed fluid and filter in power steering - probable wast of time as both seemed fresh and clean albeit pink and not the correct M-B amber colour. It now has the correct M-B power steering fluid with a slight tinge of pink.

3) Of more significance was that I drained (or as much as is reasonably possible) the hydraulic suspension fluid, removed the reservoir and cleaned it out, replaced the filter and bled the system.

The fluid on the dipstick had always appeared so clean it was very difficult to see on the dipstick and whatever suspension component I had opened had always spilled clear fluid.

The internal filter was black and probably blocked and the bottom of the tank resembled molyslip as Styria has said before.

All clean now and the last two jobs hopefully will not need to be repeated for a few decades.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi WGB, it can certainly fool you alright. I tend to think that similar sentiments ought to apply to the remove oilreservoir tank for the Engine Oil.
When cleaning GB's after removing the drain plug, the hole was caked up with solid sediment. So, that might be another area to look at for all and 'budding' 6.9 owners. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Had a day to get a few fluids changed for which I have been preparing for a while.

1) Unsure how old brake fluid was so changed brake fluid for M-B Dot 4 plus.
2) Changed fluid and filter in power steering - probable wast of time as both seemed fresh and clean albeit pink and not the correct M-B amber colour. It now has the correct M-B power steering fluid with a slight tinge of pink.
3) Of more significance was that I drained (or as much as is reasonably possible) the hydraulic suspension fluid, removed the reservoir and cleaned it out, replaced the filter and bled the system.
The fluid on the dipstick had always appeared so clean it was very difficult to see on the dipstick and whatever suspension component I had opened had always spilled clear fluid.
The internal filter was black and probably blocked and the bottom of the tank resembled molyslip as Styria has said before.
All clean now and the last two jobs hopefully will not need to be repeated for a few decades.
Bill

Now you have a reference point as to 'when' things were done (all at the same time) and you can have a 'new log book.

OP
WGB

WGB

Now you have a reference point as to 'when' things were done (all at the same time) and you can have a 'new log book.

Yes that was the point Michel - now I know.

I am also surprised how much quieter the power steering is with the "correct" M-B oil in it.

Styria - I have seen S-classes pics of his engine oil tank and I hope mine isn't like that but I would be surprised as my engine oil is synthetic and the engine remains quite clean.

Bill