This is how a W116 should have left the factory

More threads by Des

Des

This is how a W116 should have left the factory

210407058.png

Entire dash should have been timber, not just fake timber real timber, some classic style off white gauges, door trims timber,

timber, timber timber!

basically the interior should have looked like a Rolls Royce.

OP
Des

Des

Re: Steering Wheels -Timber/Leather

This is the style of gauges I am talking about

1889_d.jpg

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Lord Des, mein Freund....:eek:

Das (MB) ist ein Deutsch autofirma... ya?
Nicht Englisch :rolleyes:

Das Geschwindigkeitsmesser (gauge) ist verboten im Deutsch autos ! :eek:

Verstehen zie? :mad:

OP
Des

Des

Ich liebe es

Ja sprechen se deutsch

SELfor50

That is the most pimpin interior of a 116 i've ever seen!!!!

I'm gonna try do that to the fordedes...... yes, it deserves such treatment!

OP
Des

Des

Re: Hello from Mat (Introduction)

Hey Mat
good to have you with us, tassie guys have to stick toegther, even former ones!

next time you are down let me know, be good to catch up

Des

BenzBoy

Grand Master
My Dear Lord Daimler,
There are not sufficient walnut trees left in Italy for the task you propose.
Did you know that a Cloud sported hand-oiled African Mahogany on the fascia? Perhaps you could try that next?
I do like it; I like it a lot.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Des, I agree with you wholeheartedly. On reflection today, the 6.9 apart from its mechanical specifications, could never be considered a true 'flagship' of the 116 range. It just wasn't different enough to the other models in the line-up.

Forgetting the penalty of import duties that would have been levied on a car imported from Germany. pricewise the 6.9 and the Rolls Royce were about on a par. Given that the Roller had a somewhat nicer and probably more expensive interior, the extra money required for the 6.9 had to have its roots in the mechanical specifications and the degree of engineering that Mercedes Benz was always notable for.

One should also take into account that the late '60's and certainly the '70's were all about safety, safety and safety. Hence, the thickly padded doors, knee pads, horn boss and the absence of real wood, except for the slider switch panel which is indeed an absolute work of art, and real wood.

Cast your mind back to the fities and sixties - 300SE Coupe, all leather and again real wood. Then, the 300 Adenauer in all versions, i.e. Saloon, Fixed and Dropheads, the 220 Cabriolet of the Ponton variety - all real items of intricate interior beauty. But certainly not safe from a collision point of view.

Within the next few days, I am hoping to add more to this post on a more thorough scale. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
For those with money to burn or, think about this, for your next birthday, I would suggest that you check out Burr Walnut and Zebrano accessories available from ERIS CAR DESIGN. That Company is located in Germany

You will not find timber door cappings, but they do have timber (veneer ?) Instrument Panels and also timber/leather steering wheels. Well worthwhile investigating. Regards Styria

-bb-

Noble
I do like the extra timber very much but I dont think they should have left the factory done up like a Rolls or something. The W116 range is elegant in its simplicity and no bull#### execution, and that is a big part of its charm.

It could be argued, as Styria does, that the 6.9 is cosmetically too much like other W116's to be a flagship model when cosmetics are considered in isolation. I dont think something has to be overly different cosmetcally to be considered a flagship; it needs to be considered as a package, and where some might argue the 6.9 lacks visual difference, no-one can deny that it more than makes up for that mechanically.

I have always considered the Mercedes S Class range as a whole to be the flagship Mercedes range, and the 6.9 being at the top of the W116 S class ladder puts at the top of the then flagship range, making it the flagship model in my book. That said, I dont think of any the less of other W116 models for not being 6.9's; like I said, I consider the whole range to be flagship.

For me, the comparisons with the likes of Rollers are interesting because I am not a person who likes big flashy things and I am quite happy owning something like a 6.9, where I (and other enthusiasts) know what it is, but easily blends in with the traffic at any other time. When you see a Roller, Bentley or other such car on the road, they stick out like a sore thumb. I am not saying that is a bad thing, just not what I look for in terms of car ownership.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
One must remember that at the time of the 6.9 final design (early 70s) there was a worldwide oil crisis.
The Germans (MB) did not want to be seen to produce a 'gas guzzler' when the world was clamping down on engine size.
That is believed to be the reason why the 6.9 was so late in being launched on the market.
And from the information available, MB offered various ways of disguising the fact that it was a 6.9 by offering a 6.9 badge delete option or even a whole rear boot lid badge delete option (450SEL and 6.9 deleted).

MB did not want to show an ostentatious vehicle that would have people pointing out the finger at the firm from Stuttgart!

Mercedes-Benz-450_SEL_6_9_1975.png

Parks

One must remember that at the time of the 6.9 final design (early 70s) there was a worldwide oil crisis.
The Germans (MB) did not want to be seen to produce a 'gas guzzler' when the world was clamping down on engine size.
That is believed to be the reason why the 6.9 was so late in being launched on the market.
And from the information available, MB offered various ways of disguising the fact that it was a 6.9 by offering a 6.9 badge delete option or even a whole rear boot lid badge delete option (450SEL and 6.9 deleted).

MB did not want to show an ostentatious vehicle that would have people pointing out the finger at the firm from Stuttgart!

Mercedes-Benz-450_SEL_6_9_1975.png

Michel, that does make a lot of sense, so as you say maybe there was a method in their madness not to make it to "flashy"

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I am sure that Miss Olga never thought of a Royce as flashy. As her confident, young Mr Wilde, once said to her over a glass of Dom Perignon in the rear carriage compartment, 'I have the simplest of tastes. I am always satisfied by the best'. :D Likewise Chancellor Scmidt, downing schnapps with Miss Olga in a seedy Berlin bar, long after closing hours, opined 'I love you in leather; especially the Connelly." :eek:
Similarly Cartier; les musts.
Truly though, each different style reflects the contemporary zeitgeist. The Royce embodies the carriage trade: the Benz reflects the Bauhaus principles. Put simply, each is excellent but different.
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
Des

Des

Gentlemen you do make some excellent points, and lets not forget that the 6.9 was called the 6.9, rather than the 690SEL as not to cast a shadow over the 600 model.

John S

I was at Vehicle Color Design a week or so ago, and Axel showed me the new decoration system he has that can match anything from Timber to Carbon Fibre, almost on any surface. I feel confident he could match the timber on the instrument cluster if anyone is interested.