Diff dramas

More threads by abl567

Styria

The Godfather
Hi abl567, slowly but surely is the motto, isn't it ? You have shown remarkable patience and reason in dealing with this problem. Please keep us informed.

Just as an aside which straddles on 'forum issues' raised and discussed in another thread. This latest post of Anthony's showed up yesterday, whereas by today it had disappeared on the 'back-burner' for a want of a better description.

So, it does pay to surf the board and not just rely on the last ten posts. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Finally the chap who supplied me the rear axle has agreed to have the axle that is now in the car reconditioned with all new bearings and seals at his expense.
I'll be supplying the bearings and seals from the Classic Centre so I know that genuine parts are being fitted and he will pick up the bill!
This way I have warranty from the diff rebuilder and the reconditioned axle I paid for.
I'm out of pocket for two tow truck rides to the city and the bloody expensive MB diff oil, but I'll put that down to experience.
I figure great people I've met and knowledge I've gained during this exercise more than compensates for the monetry loss :rolleyes:

Nice to know there is a happy ending to the story.

And great attitude to show in relation to meeting people and experience.:D

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Thanks so much for the kind words. :eek:

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Result! :D

I picked up the 6.3 from Craft Diffs in Granville today, they installed all new bearings and seals, lapped the crown wheel and pinion and set it up perfectly and replaced a few other components from spares I had, the left side handbrake backing plate and the rubber boots over the handbrake cable.

When I arrived Peter Craft was on the phone, he put the phone down for a moment and with a grin on his face directed me to my car and urged me to take it around the block while he completed his call.

By the time I had reached 60k's, been on and off the throttle a few times and around a few corners Peters grin had transfered to me.

No whine, no rumble, no vibration :D

The best part was going back inside and picking up a cheque for the cost of the parts I supplied + postage and the warranty paper work, 12 months!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Result! :D

I picked up the 6.3 from Craft Diffs in Granville today, they installed all new bearings and seals, lapped the crown wheel and pinion and set it up perfectly and replaced a few other components from spares I had, the left side handbrake backing plate and the rubber boots over the handbrake cable.

When I arrived Peter Craft was on the phone, he put the phone down for a moment and with a grin on his face directed me to my car and urged me to take it around the block while he completed his call.

By the time I had reached 60k's, been on and off the throttle a few times and around a few corners Peters grin had transfered to me.

No whine, no rumble, no vibration :D

The best part was going back inside and picking up a cheque for the cost of the parts I supplied + postage and the warranty paper work, 12 months!

What a great happy ending to that.:cool:
Please tell us who was the 'good guy' here so we can go and use him.

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Hi Michel,

I really must name all parties involved as the "Good Guy" regardless of events preceding. Styria also played a role in this which I'll relay in a seperate post.

1. Mercbits in Victoria 03 9543 5050
Mercbits sold me the diff that self destructed, I paid TOP dollar for it so I will not say they are cheap but even though the diff was faulty Rob, the owner, stood by his word and honoured the warranty. It would have been very easy for them to dispute my claim and insist the damage was due to abuse, or to force me to remove the diff and return it to them for inspection at my expense.
Rob flew up from Melbourne 3 days after his Mothers Funeral and using borrowed workshop space removed and stripped the diff to find it was properly broken and he would have to truck the components back to Melbourne, repair it and drive back up to reinstall it. Thats when he found the other diff, bought it and installed it.
When I told him I wasn't happy with he went of looking for solutions. I found the solution for him, he agreed to pay the bill. Craft diffs sent him the invoice and a cheque arrived the next day.

2. Merctalk. Botany NSW 9316 7303
Serge allowed Rob to use his workshop and tools to remove the diff, he had never met him. Trust and charity like that is very rare to today.
He also replaced the flex disk when he had the car the second time and did a great job for only $280 which included new exhaust hanger rubbers. I enjoy doing my own spanner work but was happy to pay that to avoid a day under the car getting grit in my eyes!

3. Craft Diffs, Granville 9637 1973
Peter Craft, as mentioned, did a great job. I was impressed when he insisted I bring a car cover with me to cover the car while it was in the workshop.
Peter owns and restores Model T Fords and races speedway cars, a strange mix but it has given him a depth of knowledge I'm sure. The workshop looks and smells like a workshop should and has experience seeping from every nook and cranny.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi abl567, I am really tickled pink that there was a happy ending to your tale of woes - well, at least that 's how it started, but it is to be hoped that you can forget the rear end of your 6.3 for a long time now.

You've gone about this the right way by replacing/or having replaced most components that are subject to normal wear and tear, and from hereon in it will only be 'breakages' that may cause you problems, but that aspect you have no control over. I am glad it's all over now. Regards, Styria

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Thanks Styria,

#2723 is running and driving better than ever, I'm really impressed with the improvement in the level of refinement from the chassis.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi abl567, have you ever posted as to how you solved the problem, and who it was that eventually installed a replacement complete rear axle assembly for you ? Do you remember how long it took ? Just trying to refresh your memory ! Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi everybody and his dog, I never figured that there was, in fact, a second page ! See what happens when one is that long absent from the once hallowed pages of TK. My apologies.