Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
LOL! No I think the wheels you have will look great! :cool:

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well I got the pilot sleeves off the hubs only to discover the new Centras have a different PCD, despite being exactly the same size and offset. Damn shame but not the end of the world I guess.

So looks like I'll be selling 3 x Centras and I assume they'd only suit an 80s era Commodore? Is there any other possibilities?

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Trouble is it's very hard to be accurate and I think the differences are very small....

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
They should have pcd in casting on wheels 112 MB/Audi/VW 120 BMW/Holden 130 Porsche . If they don't I doubt if they are genuine . :D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
The PCD difference between Holden (VH SS Group 3 - 120mm) and MB (112mm) is only 8mm so it can be difficult to measure accurately.

There's numerous ways to measure PCD but none seem to be sufficiently accurate for my liking. So this is what I did:

PCD radius = (Spigot hole diameter/2) + side of spigot hole to side of stud hole + (stud hole diameter/2),

PCD = PCD radius x 2

I did have a go and came up with 111mm for the new wheels vs 113mm for the old ones!! The only conclusion I can come up with so far is that the diameter of the spigot hole doesn't match the diameter of the spigot on the hub, so the stud holes don't line up. I'll head back out and check....

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
They should have pcd in casting on wheels 112 MB/Audi/VW 120 BMW/Holden 130 Porsche . If they don't I doubt if they are genuine . :D

They're definitely genuine wheels. Both sets do have identical markings, apart from one group and neither seem to directly relate to PCD:

New Centras: 39 above 85

Old Centras: 28 above 84

Could these be week/year indicating different versions??

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Um sometimes you just have to try again and things just ahhh... work! :confused::eek::rolleyes::p

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Ok well I really could use those 255s for the back wheels now as one just keeps going down. Guess I'll just pump it up again and make do. Not a major issue in the scheme of things since there's much larger issues that need to be addressed. However I had in mind doing several things and I need to stay focused on those... Plus I wanted to get Arrow off the ground and Red Bull is truly the one to get on the road first. Which means taking struts from Mallard as temporary replacements.

Getting distracted is very easy on a 10 acre property! I must say that people that are successful at car restoration are either very well off financially, or very skilled and brilliant at time management.... :rolleyes::)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Try some pink goop leak stop . Stuffs the tyre but will work for time being . :)

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Front wheels are back on with new(er) tyres. Now I'm gunna strip the old wheels and get quotes for reconditioning and some different painting options.

In the meantime I'm swapping the instruments and changing the steering wheel. I just bought another good one off fleaBay.... :)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark don't know anyone your side but Simon at Wheel Gleam Osborne Park W.A 0411749451 I can recommend. He has been recommended by another large 6.9 collector over in W.A I think you know who .:D:D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well I've used parts from 4 spare clusters and some of the differences are very interesting (although minor).

The quality incorporated into each piece is quite evident and it just makes me love the W116 even more....

Pics to follow

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yaah I love pictures looking forward to seeing progress Mark . Just about to go up and look at my car . Hopefully blue flame is coming along well. :D

Styria

The Godfather
This thread is bobbing up and down in one spot - are there not any further developments that we could get our teeth into ? I take it, Mark, that you are starting to get serious with, ah Blue Flame, or with Red...I've got to look up the name....any progress report, any hopes and dreams, or firm courses of action or commitments you haven't told us about ? I for one am greatly interested. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Need to pick one car and work on that car alone until it is completed before touching another car.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Well it's very slow since I have so much to do both on the cars and the house which is currently on the market. And there's been a few health issues for myself and the girlfriend, but it seems like we've come through pretty well.

But I am pleased to report their is progress and I'll try to add some pics when I have the time. I just wanted to do a few smaller things on this car that'd been bothering me for ages, clean the barn (currently under way) and get stuck into Red Bull.

:)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Very cool been looking at property's with large shed for when I move . As that is a must have. Then you can store at my place if all else fails. :D

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
In Case you are wondering I am looking around Murrumbateman for property with a few acres . :)