Blue Flame (6301)

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes I gave them new names! I dragged Blue Flame from the garage and gave her a wash. Preliminary list of repairs has been undertaken. The workshop shall be ready soon, so I can have a look at the can of worms (hopefully not tin worm) underneath. And yes I'll check the offset of the wheels! :D

CIMG6169.jpg

CIMG6170.jpg

CIMG6171.jpg

I made a short video, but haven't worked out how to post it on Youtube yet....

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark looking good . The Centras are the reason i was going to buy the car from Black Hands. more desirable than pentas and rarer :D

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yeah I love the look of the wheels too; especially the way the rear ones fill the guards. They did convince me that I needed the car! Only problem is two of them have damage and will need repair. And the finish is poor, so I was considering having them painted silver (almost chrome) as a polished finish will probably deteriorate quickly....

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That also looks hot but classy.

If you decide to polish the wheels, just give them a coat of clear on top, that would stop deterioration.

Styria

The Godfather
As perhaps some of you may know, Black Hands' (Duncan) car is an old friend of mine, having had the 'goodies' applied to it more than ten years ago. Those aforementioned 'goodies' included quite a bit of mechanical work (Oversize has those receipts), some reasonably minor rust repairs and a complete respray.

It reminds me of some rather trying times - the guy that resprayed it was a loveable character, but a totally incompetent spray painter who had the knack of convincing everyone, including myself, what a marvellous tradesman he was, and he'd give the impression that "yeah, we can fix that, no trouble at all' but, in realty, he could not back that up. He was a very active member in the MB Club in NSW, graduating to 'the new members' liaison chappie' , a job he filled admirably. Unfortunately, he's no longer with us - a second, or possibly third, heart attack about three years ago took him from us. So Mark, I think you have the makings of a promising and fairly easy restoration job, but you may have to dispense with the LPG installation. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Purring like a kitten Mark the 6.9

Noticed the fuel gauge is not working.

All the best with the car Mark.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yeah the gauge isn't working cause she's on LPG and a separate gauge. I'd like to fix that though and have the original gauge used instead of a yuk LED LPG one. And I wanna get rid of the W107 450 speedo.... 260kmh looks much better! :cool: This weekend is looking good for some work and a fun run in the Ghia.... Might be headed to Heathcote's bakery. :)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I just got the chance to watch the video clip.

Nice looking and sounding machine...

Wonder what it would sound like without the echo chamber/boom box/garage around it? ;)

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
She's LOUD no matter where she is!! LOL! The prepurchase inspection guy said it sounded like a BB Chev so that made me want it even more! Pity it doesn't have extractors, but one day I'll get some made. I'll post a driving video as soon as it's back on the road. However I doubt I'll get a RWC in it's current form... Sigh :(

260ebenz

Master
Yeah the gauge isn't working cause she's on LPG and a separate gauge. I'd like to fix that though and have the original gauge used instead of a yuk LED LPG one. And I wanna get rid of the W107 450 speedo.... 260kmh looks much better! :cool: This weekend is looking good for some work and a fun run in the Ghia.... Might be headed to Heathcote's bakery. :)

Mark what is the 6.9 economy like running on LPG?

6.9 exhaust note is excellent as well!

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
No idea at the moment cause she hasn't been on the road enough.... Should be very cheap to fill, but I may not wanna venture too far from a pump! I only get 350km out of my 5L Ghia (60L usable) in combination driving and I expect the 6.9 will be worse. However I suspect the Ghia gauge isn't calibrated well and I could get 400km if I was prepared to risk it. Fortunately it's dual fuel, but I'm sure that has an effect of the economy on LPG. The 6.9 is straight gas, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. Watch this space. Styria I've always been intrigued by LPG and have owned at least 3 gas powered cars (all V8s) in the past. Looks like the tank is outta test date and the mixer needs new seals plus a tune. I could swap the injection system from one of the others with much stuffing about, but it'll render the donor useless. Buying a replacement injection system would be too costly. Sadly the original parts were not kept with the car. Back on petrol I'll be put off regularly driving her by the cost of fuel. So I'm currently looking at an LPG upgrade as an experiment, just to be different. I don't like to follow and make my own path.... :D

Last edited:

Tony66_au

A few things Mark, Im wondering if there is any advantage to a set of extractors on the M100? as the existing manifolds look (And sound) pretty free mate.

As for Rego, why not join a club and get a 90 day club reg permit and logbook.

For the membership fee and $145 a year you get 3 months driving per 12 month period, so for under a few hundred you can go motoring providing the Club uses its scrutineers instead of demanding a roadworthy which IMO defeats the purpose.

I recently registered an incorporated body to formalise an all breeds car/Motorcycle/Truck and machinery club I started years ago and im in the process of sorting the VicRoads requirements for club reg eligibility so if you get stuck on the club front let me know.

Tony

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Motec reckons the primaries are way too small on the factory manifolds and I'd have to take his word for it, as I've never had it all out to have a look. The sound could be partly due to the higher comp of the Euro engine (plus the lack of any worthwhile silencers)! I can only imagine what she'd be like with completely open pipes!! :D

Club reg might be a short term solution, but I have customish plates that I want to fit and you can't do so on a club permit. Plus club membership combined with $145 is getting up towards full reg anyway.... And there's long term method to my madness...

Tony66_au

Fair enough, re the LPG?

Ditch it, the stuff is too expensive to be of any value and the propane/butane mixes are all over the place.

Most dual fuel systems are a compromise and unless you get the dizzy recurved, run 10mm leads and do a few other bits and pieces its just going to be a pain.

I stopped using LPG on the cars I have with it fitted a while ago and just run Pulp now and the savings are as high as 1/3rd on Pulp plus there's far less hassle.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yeah I agree dual fuel isn't the best, but I intend to go straight LPG. iCat didn't seem to have any problems! In fact her 250 with a high-stall apparently goes like a cut... well.... cat!!! Hahaha! ;)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark posting from Melbourne airport you will only get 250 to 280 on gas my car was on gas when bought . Extractors did i say i am coming over east stock manifold 2 inch outlet . If stait gas go gas research or the new lpg injection :D