Amg Reproduction Spoilers

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Des. I see that in the photo shown the two lower grille halves are missing - did you ever get around to fitting them ? I understand that B13 has removed the AMG spoiler from the car now and he has gone back to the original lip spoiler that was exclusive to the 6.9. I wonder what the price of those would be now from Mercedes. Regards Styria

N.B. I am pleased to say that one unit will be going to England. The owner of that 6.9 has been involved in the reconditioning of his engine, but I have no specific details. I am hoping that he will be able to elaborate on the matter in due course.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have just recently discovered that some pics. illustrating the method of affixing the spoiler to the car are no longer contained within the thread. Accordingly, please find an update to complement information already contained within the thread.

amgspoiler.jpg

amgspoiler2.jpg

amgspoiler3.jpg

Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just to complete the update of photos, showing the alternative colour schemes of the two plastic grille halves. At the time, I settled for the silver coloured units to provide a contrast for the colour of the spoiler.

P5100197.jpg

P5100198-1.jpg

P5090194.jpg

P5100199.jpg

Hopefully, the overall effect (I think beneficial) is now properly illustrated. Those wheels, by the way, I have had to replace - I damaged one against a kerb quite badly and it would t5ake about $A260.00 to refurbish it. Another one has only very slight damage, but if one would want perfection, it should be repaired as well. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Following on from the "Holiday Work" thread. Part of the restoration work on Gleaming Beauty related to the painting and fitment of the AMG reproduction spoiler and the fitting of the two grille halves. The colour of the spoiler needed to be changed to the new two tone colour, and I also needed to repaint the grille halves in bright silver that they had already been painted in as per previous photos.

The two tone arrangement - I am happy, but I was still playing with the idea of painting the spoiler in 2 - pack Gloss Black, but that would have meant repainting the outer sill panels in that colour or brushing on the jet-black POR 15. In the end I decided it was too much work.

One annoying feature relates to the fitting of the two grille halves. They are never a good fit, and MB could have come up with a better design. Quite a bit of time was spent on cutting and shimming, and in the end the result is passable.

GleamingBeautyRestoration123.jpg

GleamingBeautyRestoration122.jpg

That's probably as good as you'll get. Regards Styria

300SDude

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, the photobucket pages cannot be found. :(

I want to see! I want to see! LOL.

300SDude

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi 300SDude, unfortunately those pictures disappeared when Des (one of the members) decided to remove them from his photobucket file. This, of course, meant that they would also disappear from topklasse. Thus, let us know what it is that you want to see - is it the method of fitting, or details how to purchase a unit ? Let us know, and we'll try to help. Regards Styria

Last edited:

300SDude

Hi 300SDude, unfortunately those pictures disappeared when Des (one of the members) decided to remove them from his photobucket file. This, of course, meant that they would also disappear from topklasse. Thus, let us know what it is that you want to see - is it the method of fitting, or details how to purchase a unit ? Let us know, and we=ll try to help. Regards Styria

Actually, I wanted to see what it looked like on. I do like some of the AMG stuff for the W116, but some of it I don't care for.

Thanks,
300SDude

Oversize

Grand Master
Dude, check your profile settings because I had a similar problem a while ago and couldn't view anything unless I clicked on the links....

300SDude

Dude, check your profile settings because I had a similar problem a while ago and couldn't view anything unless I clicked on the links....

Well, I scrolled up a little and was able to finally view a couple of the pictures of it.

I LOVE IT! OMG, I'll have to take a picture of what mine looks like. It's kinda beat-up under there.

Will this fit with the US bumpers?

300SDude

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Dude, I am glad you liked it. I really do think that the spoiler greatly enhances the frontal appearance of our cars, yet it is still quite discreet. I'll have to dig out a couple more pics, for instance one for Michel's Red Terror, also WGB (Bill) has the spoiler fitted, and there are also SEL69L, Oscar, Ian in Melbourne - they are the ones I can readily think of.

They also make sense from the point of view that the original small lip spoiler fitted to 6.9s is quite expensive to buy in Oz country - about the same as my reproduction unit. Regarding your query as far as fitment under the US Federal bumpers are concerned, I am unable to say with certainty whether or not the spoiler will fit. However, I should think that it would. Regards Styria

300SDude

Hi Dude, I am glad you liked it. I really do think that the spoiler greatly enhances the frontal appearance of our cars, yet it is still quite discreet. I'll have to dig out a couple more pics, for instance one for Michel's Red Terror, also WGB (Bill) has the spoiler fitted, and there are also SEL69L, Oscar, Ian in Melbourne - they are the ones I can readily think of.

They also make sense from the point of view that the original small lip spoiler fitted to 6.9s is quite expensive to buy in Oz country - about the same as my reproduction unit. Regarding your query as far as fitment under the US Federal bumpers are concerned, I am unable to say with certainty whether or not the spoiler will fit. However, I should think that it would. Regards Styria

Thanks Styria!

Here are some pix I just took this morning down in the shop where it is usually parked. If there is something specific that I can take pictures of for you to better know if it will fit the US bumpers, let me know. (Believe me, I would prefer the euro-bumpers as opposed to my bookshelves that hang off the front and back, lol).

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01438.jpg

300SDude

PS: This is just a pic I took of our place walking back from our shop. I do love Fall, but I have to rake all those leaves!

DSC01439.jpg

Last edited:

300SDude

I would SO love to have this on my baby......let me know what I need to do to see if this will work on my wonky US bumpers chingamadera. (Excess bumperage).

300SDude

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Dude, obviously I can't be sure, but I see no reason why the AMG Repro spoiler could not be fitted. You have a bracket in the middle (that we supply you with), plus a set screw on each side holding the spoiler to the front guard (there is one picture - second last) that actually shows that screw and its location, and you then have another self tapper (set screw) fastening the sides of the spoiler, again to the front guard.

Cost of shipping to the States, last time I enquired, was about $US200.00. Also, on a personal note and from observations, are you still able to fit those two plastic grille halves to the bracket on the body, or are they broken ? I hope I have provided some answers for you. Regards Styria

300SDude

Hi Dude, obviously I can't be sure, but I see no reason why the AMG Repro spoiler could not be fitted. You have a bracket in the middle (that we supply you with), plus a set screw on each side holding the spoiler to the front guard (there is one picture - second last) that actually shows that screw and its location, and you then have another self tapper (set screw) fastening the sides of the spoiler, again to the front guard.

Cost of shipping to the States, last time I enquired, was about $US200.00. Also, on a personal note and from observations, are you still able to fit those two plastic grille halves to the bracket on the body, or are they broken ? I hope I have provided some answers for you. Regards Styria

Yes you have answered my questions pretty well. :)

I have never really got down there and tried to mess with it. Maybe I'll drive it up on some ramps so I can get a better look at it. (Where I park it has a large size gravel floor and is not so nice on the knees or butt).

Do I take the old one off or does the AMG one go over it? I would have to have it painted to match the rest of the car as well.

I have been thinking about getting the chrome fender well trim as well. Will this interfere with the spoiler?

Thanks,
300SDude

And yes, I did see where the screws went. ;)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Dude, SEL69L has the chrome fender trims fitted to his car, as well as the spoiler of course. Whilst it is a fairly tight fit, mainly on account of the close fitting sides of the front bumper bar to the edges of the front guard, he has experienced no fouling problems.

Fitting the reproduction spoiler to a 6.9 does require careful rising and lowering of the front of the car in case the locking valve mechanism is not operating properly which means, of course, that it is easy to damage the spoiler. With the 450 and the other Ch. 116 models you don't have that problem. Regards Styria

300SDude

LOL, I still have to talk my girls into buying stuff for it. :) I do love the way it looks though!

300SDude

WiSeGuYY

Hey DUDE , i had same US bumpers came with my w116 , had to change them to EUROPIAN chrome ones ( much nicer looking) i asked GODFATHER for the AMG SPOILER but to ship itfrom AUSTRALIA to EGYPT plus customs meand more than double price so i fabricat a steel one locally , the car still in the making project BLU

REGARDS

TAREK

300SDude

Hey DUDE , i had same US bumpers came with my w116 , had to change them to EUROPIAN chrome ones ( much nicer looking) i asked GODFATHER for the AMG SPOILER but to ship itfrom AUSTRALIA to EGYPT plus customs meand more than double price so i fabricat a steel one locally , the car still in the making project BLU

REGARDS

TAREK

I would love to see a picture of it when it's done!

300SDude

Oversize

Grand Master
Mee too!!