280S with 8000 miles. Never seen anything like it (since 1975!)

More threads by 6.9forever

260ebenz

Master
That is a terrific and original looking 280S.

280S is the petrol carbbie model.

I have seen the SL Shop advertise in the MB Enthusiast magazine before they always have a great collection of Mercedes for sale.

Thanks for posting 6.9forever.

Styria

The Godfather
There are a couple of notable facts. Firstly, the purchase price being as low as what it is. For a car in that condition, and low mileage, the asking price should be much higher.

Secondly, why is it in England - being left hand drive, one would be entitled to assume that it is a Euro car and, if so, why is it not being sold in Germany ? The market there is much higher. Curious. There are also a couple of noteworthy features, such as the rear headrests normally reserved for the SEL models, and also I noticed the fresh air intake snorkel drawing its air from the right inner guard. Anyone have any comment on those aspects ? Regards. Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
There are a couple of notable facts. Firstly, the purchase price being as low as what it is. For a car in that condition, and low mileage, the asking price should be much higher.

Secondly, why is it in England - being left hand drive, one would be entitled to assume that it is a Euro car and, if so, why is it not being sold in Germany ? The market there is much higher. Curious. There are also a couple of noteworthy features, such as the rear headrests normally reserved for the SEL models, and also I noticed the fresh air intake snorkel drawing its air from the right inner guard. Anyone have any comment on those aspects ? Regards. Styria

The price of 20,000 GBP is quite high enough I think - it's only the base model although it may have been optioned up with velour (that looks very smart) and rear head-rests. Maybe the snorkel is just a home modification - looks like it's held there with a cable tie.
I would not pay $38,000 approx. for a base model. It is a fine looking example though.
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
Looks like it's not a cold air intake and the snorkle ends behind the battery. In Victoria you couldn't cut a hole though the inner guard anyway since that would be regarded as a structural modification. But it would be ok if you had it engineered

Styria

The Godfather
BenzBoy, relatively high mileage 6.9 examples are advertised quite routinely for thirty thousand Euros and more. When I say relatively high mileage, I use the eight thousand kilometers (or miles) as a comparison medium. I guess the fitment of carburettors may be a bit of a 'put off', but this is still a mighty fine example. Regards. Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
BenzBoy, relatively high mileage 6.9 examples are advertised quite routinely for thirty thousand Euros and more. When I say relatively high mileage, I use the eight thousand kilometers (or miles) as a comparison medium. I guess the fitment of carburettors may be a bit of a 'put off', but this is still a mighty fine example. Regards. Styria
But it's not a 6.9.
I don't understand what you mean by "...the eight thousand kilometres...".
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Of course, it is eight thousand miles - I was just too lazy to look up the wording of the thread ! Sincere apologies. Regards. Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Yes BenzBoy, that is my opinion. As 6.9 forever correctly points out, this is a time warp example being offered for sale - and I query why this car is being sold in Britain rather than Germany where it is likely to attract a higher price. Regards Styria

N.B......and David discreetly refers to the time when his Dad purchased a brand spanking new 280S from the factory in 1975.

Last edited:

Helmet

Connoisseur

Rear headrests where always an option before they became standard in the W116. The air intake is factory setup. It looks strange because the washer bottle is missing.

carl888

Connoisseur
That appears to a bit of an oracle.

Interesting specification, being the base model, but high specification, with electric windows, air conditioning, passenger side mirror (Not sure if heated rear window was an option).

I wonder if the orange section of the speedometer past 100 km/h gives a hint to its country of origin?

If you wanted a very nice one, current recommissioning expenses excepted, you wouldn't have a hope of getting one to that standard if your example was in any way average. Don't ask me how I know this.

It's interesting how many spectacular 280S and 280 SE I've seen in Australia. Two 280 SE and two 280 S in Victoria. But I have NEVER seen a spectacular 350/450 or 6.9, ever.