weak side walls

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
I have have had to replace two Tires on our 2010 C Class in the past month.
Both from side wall damage. It seems that any bump on the side wall will be terminal. Are these modern wide tires on a weight saving exercise to compensate for the now heavy wide alloy wheels ?
Side walls used to be robust with wire reinforcement etc. Both tires had 45,000 ks but that should not resulted in a weakening of the side walls. The treads were still good for another 10000 Ks.
Michael's failure was driving along a straight road, with not a curb in sight.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I have have had to replace two Tires on our 2010 C Class in the past month.
Both from side wall damage. It seems that any bump on the side wall will be terminal. Are these modern wide tires on a weight saving exercise to compensate for the now heavy wide alloy wheels ?
Side walls used to be robust with wire reinforcement etc. Both tires had 45,000 ks but that should not resulted in a weakening of the side walls. The treads were still good for another 10000 Ks.
Michael's failure was driving along a straight road, with not a curb in sight.
Lower profiles have more flexible walls ..... great on the Autobahn - not so great with Sydney potholes and aggressive sandstone kerbing.
Regards,
Brian

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes brain , you too have noted the aggressive curbing , it is everywhere, and for what reason ? Everywhere there are black tire marks on every kerb, the tire retailers must be behind it
Now I know why these FWDs, with tough tires, are outselling regular Cars. I have never taken much notice but are all the run of the mill cars sold here fitted with Autobahn tires, or just the so called Prestige units. Still it could be worse and I could have those useless Run Flats with a pressure can.

abl567

Super Moderator
Where is the "like" button? :D

Styria

The Godfather
Where is the "like" button? :D

You need to be more constructive with your observations - don't forget, he hails from the Emerald Isle.:D. Getting back to tyres and side walls. I must admit that the Holden Captiva's largish 18"in hers fill you with confidence and the feeling that you can drive over everything without causing all sorts of problems. Regards. Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
You need to be more constructive with your observations - don't forget, he hails from the Emerald Isle.:D. Getting back to tyres and side walls. I must admit that the Holden Captiva's largish 18"in hers fill you with confidence and the feeling that you can drive over everything without causing all sorts of problems. Regards. Styria

235/55/18? I would not want to run up against a kerb with that profile - or indeed, I would not want to run diagonally up a gutter/step in the road surface as there is a good chance of sidewall damage with a 55 profile tyre, Styria. Perhaps stay to the smooth blacktop and also try to avoid stray sticks.
Regards,
Brian